Locked SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (First Reactions; Tracking for $160M+ Holiday Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most peoples scales are going to be at least 5/10 for something that's not a total mess which does rather narrow the range down.
I find them mostly to be autobiographical -- not really about the movie itself but rather the experience of watching the movie that takes into account previous experience (expectation of specific franchise) and, to a lesser degree, overall cinematic acumen (comparison/contrast to other films and film knowledge).

Ratings to me seem to imply a direct link between very different styles of cinema as well that isn't really present, I mean I find it very difficult to directly compare say Starwars to something like Kieslowski.
This is why all ranks are not the same, but the path to those ranks can be. The direct link, as you call it, might be something along the lines of the following algorithm:

• story + execution + overall impact

The main keys shared between all films is whether the story is any good (the fundamentals), whether it was depicted well enough (which gets into clarity and beauty), and how successful the film was in combining both (this last one depends more on the viewer than the film, in many ways). Essentially, the What, the How, and the Whom.

Id like to see that info because
Last Jedi has a 67% second weekend box office drop off. For comparison, Force Awakens had a 39% drop off, 45% for Black Panther, and 56% for Justice League.

I find them mostly to be autobiographical -- not really about the movie itself but rather the experience of watching the movie that takes into account previous experience (expectation of specific franchise) and, to a lesser degree, overall cinematic acumen (comparison/contrast to other films and film knowledge).

This is why all ranks are not the same, but the path to those ranks can be. The direct link, as you call it, might be something along the lines of the following algorithm:

• story + execution + overall impact

The main keys shared between all films is whether the story is any good (the fundamentals), whether it was depicted well enough (which gets into clarity and beauty), and how successful the film was in combining both (this last one depends more on the viewer than the film, in many ways). Essentially, the What, the How, and the Whom.

Last jedi did not follow your formula

Last jedi did not follow your formula
LOL, don't be so clitoral. Of course it does. We're just talking about how one can compare drastically different movies using the same rubric. What you really mean is that it does not follow your criteria for a good film according to my keys. Be that as it may both the algorithm and the film work for me.

Here's something that will only support your opinion: Holdo was rewritten in editing and re-shoots. The original Holdo was a "hippy-dippy" granola type, the kind you might find in Joss Whedon's secondhand store of tropes, which makes more sense when you consider how surprised Poe was to see her in the flesh after hearing of her military reputation. It also explains the purple hair and the gown during wartime. When Oscar Issac and Laura Dern are onscreen together they retained the original character footage, and Holdo's smiling demeanor comes off more condescending in the theatrical edit, almost sneering. I can see how had she been kept as originally intended, that scene would have created an upward leftturn, transforming her from casual to serious. However, keeping her light and airy would have undermined the loss of Leia, Ackbar, et al., so I understand the change even though it created an uneven character arc. This supports your criticism of the lack of organization in this trilogy.

I liked the trailer. Enjoyed seeing good ol Chewie laugh it up, haven't seen the fuzzball enjoy a good laugh since TESB. That shot of the Falcon's thrusters when they're booting up is awesome. This is going to be a fan service movie

Watching Chewie go beast mode was great too, where he hoists that guy by one arm and smashes him on his head

One of the big ol bads is a female, Enfys Nest, I'm sure that'll rustle some jimmies

Gonna have to come up with a drinking game for @Clippy for this movie. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking a drink anytime the word smuggler/smuggle is used. Or Corellia, Spice, parsec.

Last edited:
Only complaint is how the falcon looks. They changed it to sell more toys. Doesnt make sense considering in rots the falcon didnt look like that. Smh

Only complaint is how the falcon looks. They changed it to sell more toys. Doesnt make sense considering in rots the falcon didnt look like that. Smh

I’m almost wondering if the part in the front is a cargo pod, that got dumped at the first sight of an imperial ship

Nothing else makes sense , because in canon the space that’s open for a yt freighter in the front is to lock up to and push cargo containers with.

I’m almost wondering if the part in the front is a cargo pod, that got dumped at the first sight of an imperial ship

Nothing else makes sense , because in canon the space that’s open for a yt freighter in the front is to lock up to and push cargo containers with.
That’s what I’m thinking too, he dumps the cargo, and pisses off Jabba. It looks like they have to remove like 10 feet or so off the front

And yes, canon states the mandibles were used to lock up the cargo

And the dish on this one is lying flat, looking straight up.

I’m kinda digging that speeder. They based it off the looks of the Ford Falcon (oh those Star Wars guys are so witty)

1200px-1963_Ford_Falcon_Sprint_Hardtop.JPG

That’s what I’m thinking too, he dumps the cargo, and pisses off Jabba. It looks like they have to remove like 10 feet or so off the front

I’m kinda digging that speeder. They based it off the looks of the Ford Falcon (oh those Star Wars guys are so witty)

I didn’t need know it was based on a ford falcon, but damn that’s funny.

Ford
Falcon
Lol

Ford Falcon sounds like a holdover from Miller and Lord.

God I'm so glad Ron Howard came in to salvage Kasdan's script. I watched the trailer and tried to imagine 22 JUMPBULLSHIT trying to pull off the same panache.

Ford Falcon sounds like a holdover from Miller and Lord.

God I'm so glad Ron Howard came in to salvage Kasdan's script. I watched the trailer and tried to imagine 22 JUMPBULLSHIT trying to pull off the same panache.

Yeah I like this combination much more, I think part of the way Kasdan worked on the originals was keeping a sense of humour/fun to them played off against Lucas's and his chosen directors inclinations to be more serious.

Part of the reason TFA failed for me was that Abrams natural inclination to constantly entertain and both of them together pushed things too far in this direction rather than building a decent plot and a setting with some weight to it.

I don't think its a concidence that Rogue One had a combination like this either with Chris Weitz coming from more of a comedy background and Edwards/Gilroy naturally tending to be more serious giving us a film much more inline with the originals.

Last edited:

Han said in ANH he made a lot of changes to it himself. Its probably going to show the changes he made. Which would make sense.

Found a pic of the toy that’s being sold for the new movie. Shows how the Falcon works with that new longer look. Put in spoilers in case people don’t wanna see and wait until the movie comes out. There’s a few pics so make sure to scroll through to see the others

Prediction - This will be the only movie he plays Han Solo.

So, this means Luke abandoned his friends to become a hermit on a water planet.... but also his wife.

Great.

Rian killed Luke Skywalker's legacy, and now JJ Abrams want to piss on the corpse.

I wonder what his force ghost will drink in Episode 9.

i'd rather watch the Adventures of Ford Fairlane again than the upcoming Solo movie
tenor.gif

Great.

Rian killed Luke Skywalker's legacy, and now JJ Abrams want to piss on the corpse.

Not to be a dick, but you should spoiler that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back