Some Kind of Monster (that Metallica documentary)

G

Guestx

Watching this again for the first time in several years.

Who's seen it? Thoughts?

For anyone who either hasn't seen it or doesn't remember it, it's the Metallica doc that chronicles the recording of St. Anger and other ill-fated adventures.

Fun shit, if you like to rubber-neck dysfunction. Mustaine crying about people yelling "Metallica!" at him was particularly hilarious. Lars cleaning up on his artwork at the auction was...

Fun shit, if you like to rubber-neck dysfunction. Mustaine crying about people yelling "Metallica!" at him was particularly hilarious. Lars cleaning up on his artwork at the auction was...

C'mon bro, leave Dave alone!

Dave's chip on his shoulder is not entirely unwarranted.

Never cared much for Metallica and this sure as fuck didn't help. Zakk Wylde put it best when he called it the vagina monologues.

C'mon bro, leave Dave alone!

Dave's chip on his shoulder is not entirely unwarranted.

As much as I like Metal, I'm not much of a Megadeth fan. They've got some great songs and Kill 'Em All is my fave Metallica record so I'll give Dave his due. But if you don't get a chuckle out of his inferiority complex I'm thinking the rest of the train-wreck documentary might not be all that entertaining. Shit man, they had to bring a shrink into the studio. :eek::D

One of then could have had a gay sex tape come out, and i would respect them more than after seeing this.

Never cared much for Metallica and this sure as fuck didn't help. Zakk Wylde put it best when he called it the vagina monologues.
C'mon everyone likes metallica

That's like saying you don't like onions.

Yeah it's overplayed, over rated, but those guys are legends

At a certain point you can't hate

Its like saying you don't like Eminem, or ac/dc. The shit is good and you know it

C'mon everyone likes metallica

That's like saying you don't like onions.

Yeah it's overplayed, over rated, but those guys are legends

At a certain point you can't hate

Nah they are monotonous shit outside of a few songs. Never understood why they got popular over other thrash bands.

Nah they are monotonous shit outside of a few songs. Never understood why they got popular over other thrash bands.
Because they embraced the pop factor. They were extremely melodic.

Right place, right time. Good band.

Came off as gaping vaginas is what they did.

Surprise! Middle-aged Metallica are just kind of like regular dudes.

What's interesting is that Lars seems like he wants to hold onto that rock star persona, while James is fine with moving on and embracing the fact that he's a family man now. And Kirk is like this soft, sensitive dude who's like, "C'mon guys, we don't need to fight!"

As much as I like Metal, I'm not much of a Megadeth fan. They've got some great songs and Kill 'Em All is my fave Metallica record so I'll give Dave his due. But if you don't get a chuckle out of his inferiority complex I'm thinking the rest of the train-wreck documentary might not be all that entertaining. Shit man, they had to bring a shrink into the studio. :eek::D

You see, even though I like both, I'm one of those guys who thinks that Megadeth > Metallica. . .

giphy.gif

Come on man. They've got more than a few good songs. Some great thrash tunes and some great hard rock songs.

Have you not heard Puppets and Justice? Anyway, I’m not watching that shit. I just can’t watch a documentary about a once great band, struggling to make an album that sounded like a parody of their last albums. Also, I liked Load and Reload a lot, at least some of the songs, but they define what it is to sell out.

Because they embraced the pop factor. They were extremely melodic.

Right place, right time. Good band.

Pre pop as well. I've tried multiple times to sit down and listed to master of puppets and it makes me nauseous. Same over played crunchy riff than runs on too long combined with Hetfields scent of a woman "Who wahs!" at the end of every fucking line he sings. <{clintugh}>

I really dont see any difference between Metallica and some obscure metal band you would find in a bin at the local music shop. The mass appeal was and always will be baffling to me giving how painfully generic they are.

You see, even though I like both, I'm one of those guys who thinks that Megadeth > Metallica. . .

giphy.gif

I raise you these two classics. And beyond that, give me Venom and Slayer over Metallica.

Also, I liked Load and Reload a lot, at least some of the songs, but they define what it is to sell out.

Reminds me of something I heard Lars say once. It was along the lines of. . .

"Sometimes fans say we sold out. And I'm like, yeah, last week we sold out in Portland . . . then we sold out in Phoenix . . . then Memphis. . ."

Pre pop as well. I've tried multiple times to sit down and listed to master of puppets and it makes me nauseous. Same over played crunchy riff than runs on too long combined with Hetfields scent of a woman "Who wahs!" at the end of every fucking line he sings. <{clintugh}>

I really dont see any difference between Metallica and some obscure metal band you would find in a bin at the local music shop. The mass appeal was and always will be baffling to me giving how painfully generic they are.

I remember when I was 12 years Enter Sandman sounded GODDAMNED REVOLUTIONARY to me.

And hey, yeah, I was 12 and now it's played the fuck out. . . But it's still a damn good song.

Reminds me of something I heard Lars say once. It was along the lines of. . .

"Sometimes fans say we sold out. And I'm like, yeah, last night we sold out in Portland . . . then we sold out in Phoenix . . . then Memphis. . ."

Great comeback. But then isn't he the guy not wanting to play solos because it's "dated" and Kirk points out the not playing them (a band trademark) will just make those songs "dated" later on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back