Some Kind of Monster (that Metallica documentary)

Its a decent watch, only from a fan's perspective though.

The Black Album documentary was much better.

even though I'm in the Bay Area and the Metallica worship is real....

Megadeth owns them on all levels IMO

chills..

In My Darkest Hour is one of their best and most underrated gems.

Brilliant shit right there.

I grew up on metal and the majority of what I listen to is still metal, but Metallica was never one of the bands that really did it for me. Hetfield’s goofy vocals, Hammett’s predictable solos, Lars being the worst god damned drummer in any popular act ever bar none (seriously, watch any live video. Not only is he incapable of even playing the simple stuff he does on record, he can barely hold down a fucking beat); it all combined to sound pretty resoundingly boring to me. They have their moments, for sure, and I won’t deny Master of Puppets is a killer record, but they’re definitely the most overrated metal band, and in the running for most overrated band period. Of the “Big Four” metal bands from that era, Slayer’s records stand up the best.

All of which is prelude to say how hilarious I found discovering what pathetic little bitch-made children Lars and James were while watching Some Kind of Monster. I know a lot of my friends were horrified and let down by it, or in total denial when they saw it, but I just never had the attachment nevessary to be heartbroken. It reminded me a little bit of when Halford came out as gay and suddenly all these metalheads were like, “well I never liked Priest anyway. I’m a Maiden guy.” Sure man, suddenly Defenders of the Faith isn’t an all-time classic because the singer swallows cock ? Who gives a fuck ? Which is to say, I can still listen to Master of Puppets just fine, despite the scene when James announces to the rest of the band that they won’t be allowed to listen to the recordings when he isn’t present, being one of the most hilariously embarrassing and telling moments ever in a documentary.

Back