Some of you may not know but Machida is fighting Saturday...

Yeah I'm all in on everything MMA but I saw the main event and was like well there's a shit card. That will make it easy to dedicate my time to the UFC card. Then I clicked and saw it's pretty damn good. Lyoto vs Carvalo, Gracie v Ruth, Lawal v McGeary are all pretty good fights. Having Macfarlane vs Letourneau being the face of the card kinda makes it sound like another garbage card for them even though it's comparable to the UFC main card.

MacFarlane is actually really good and puts on exciting fights. She's also champ, and Hawaiian, so having her as the main event makes a lot of sense. It's a good card (as you pointed out), and I believe it starts right around the time UFC ends, which will be perfect timing.

Anyone remember way back when on fight fighter when his name was actually listed as Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida?

Anyone remember way back when on fight fighter when his name was actually listed as Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida?

Because I believe his real name is Ryoto Machida, and he was billed as LYOTO (in all caps) when he first started fighting in Japan. The R in Portuguese and Japanese are pronounced very differently, of course, with it sounding much differently from its intended pronunciation in Portuguese. Using the L makes it sound more like it should. Kinda like how Kaoru Uno changed his first name to Caol so us dumb Americans (or just dumb Bruce Buffer) could pronounce it better.

Because I believe his real name is Ryoto Machida, and he was billed as LYOTO (in all caps) when he first started fighting in Japan.

Herro Ryoto Machida here!

I saw his documentary don't remember a Ryoto in there somewhere could be wrong though.

Herro Ryoto Machida here!

I saw his documentary don't remember a Ryoto in there somewhere could be wrong though.

His name is Japanese, and when literally translated Japanese doesn't have an L. Uno also changed his name to have an L in it for pronunciation reasons when he started fighting overseas. But hey, maybe Lyoto's name actually does have an L on his birth certificate.

Yeah, they have multiple fights on the card better than the main event but it's taking place in Hawaii and Letourneau is from Hawaii so it seems they are more focused on ticket sales then on how many people are watching on TV/streaming services.

Championships should always headline period....

Btw letourneau is NOT from Hawaii the champion with the Hawaiian name is lol.

I do.
Been a fan since the very beginnings.
"Who is Ryoto Machida? I hear he beat Rich Franklin and BJ Penn!"
Good times! :D

I had no idea. They did a shit job marketing this card, which seemed pretty good when I just checked the results. They made a colossal bonehead move and headlined it with some chick I never heard of. Not surprising more 200x people are talking about Al Iaquinta when no one know Machida was fighting.

They made a colossal bonehead move and headlined it with some chick I never heard of..
lol wtf? Bellator had two back to back events in Hawaii, and capped it off with their Hawaiian champ.

Ilima Lei Mcfarlane is an amazing fighter and champion. How far under a rock do you have to be to have never heard of her?

Back