Someone Explain the Appeal of Legend of Zelda games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squall Leonhart

SeeD Commander
@Brown
Reaction score
I've played some of the best games of all time and can appreciate every single one. But one that always puzzled me was the Legend of Zelda.

It isn't deep as far as RPG stats go. The action isn't on the level of the best action games. The story isn't nearly as good as the best RPGs out there. The puzzles are pretty great, but only some people appreciate those. The main character is usually mute. The setting is usually nice, but many games have this going for them.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the series is just a jack of all trades, solid in all areas making a whole that is better than the sum of its parts?

SRS

I'm in the same boat as you. Never understood the supposed greatness of the series, and haven't really ever gotten into one. Shitty stories aside, it never had an addictive quality to me, in terms of game play. I find the worlds boring, and the upgrade system unsatisfying. Even in combat, I don't find it particularly engaging, clever, or well refined. Find the obvious weakness, and hit it. Some of the puzzles are clever, but there is nothing driving me to endure it all, so solving them is just busywork to me.

Those are some nitpicks, but overall, I just don't find these games remotely addictive enough to press on while I'm playing it. Perhaps the new one is good, but I'll never know. Stopped playing this series at "Skyward Sword", and the absurd praise that boring ass game got, cemented the fact that this series just isn't for me.

The dungeons\puzzles has always been my favorite thing about it.

Have y'all played Breath of the Wild?

Anyway, it's not an RPG so you can't really compare it to RPGs. There aren't stats(other than hearts and now weapon/armor dmg, but no stuff like Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, etc), you don't form parties, you can't choose dialogue, no real branching paths, etc.

Puzzles, platforming, boss fights, great music, and lots of areas to explore. Link also has 9 billion different weapons and ways to crush his enemies, which I find to be a plus.

To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of the series myself, but it's very evident where the appeal for TLoZ comes from. If I made a thread titled "Someone explain the appeal of Final Fantasy games," you'd think it was a dumb post. Because it would be.

Have y'all played Breath of the Wild?

Anyway, it's not an RPG so you can't really compare it to RPGs. There aren't stats(other than hearts and now weapon/armor dmg, but no stuff like Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, etc), you don't form parties, you can't choose dialogue, no real branching paths, etc.

Puzzles, platforming, boss fights, great music, and lots of areas to explore. Link also has 9 billion different weapons and ways to crush his enemies, which I find to be a plus.

To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of the series myself, but it's very evident where the appeal for TLoZ comes from. If I made a thread titled "Someone explain the appeal of Final Fantasy games," you'd think it was a dumb post. Because it would be.

I'd answer with "story, stats, presentation, graphics, etc." whereas with Zelda I disagree on some of your points. The Puzzles I'm with you. The music, eh. Platforming it isn't really known as the best at. Boss fights, as Heretic mentioned, the battle system isn't standout. IDK

I've played some of the best games of all time and can appreciate every single one. But one that always puzzled me was the Legend of Zelda.

It isn't deep as far as RPG stats go. The action isn't on the level of the best action games. The story isn't nearly as good as the best RPGs out there. The puzzles are pretty great, but only some people appreciate those. The main character is usually mute. The setting is usually nice, but many games have this going for them.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the series is just a jack of all trades, solid in all areas making a whole that is better than the sum of its parts?

SRS

Because people were actually alive and playing Legend of Zelda when it came out on Nintendo. That was as deep as it got on console until Dragon Warrior.

I'd answer with "story, stats, presentation, graphics, etc." whereas with Zelda I disagree on some of your points. The Puzzles I'm with you. The music, eh. Platforming it isn't really known as the best at. Boss fights, as Heretic mentioned, the battle system isn't standout. IDK

if you don't like it you don't like it. Nothing strange about it. It's not your type of game.

there are people who shit on final fantasy games saying it is shit story with emo jpop characters. others find FF games boring cause there's no real action. boss fights in FF? If you level up enough and stock up on all the right potions what battle is there that is climactic and difficult? grinding to level up can bore the living shit out of people. personally I enjoy it. I love going in a boss fight fully prepared to kick its ass.

When I play Breath of the Wild I love how immersive it feels to be playing the game. Besides the very outer borders of the giant sandbox, there are no parts of the game that Link cannot climb, swim, fight, etc. It feels as if Link is part of a real world called Hyrule. I don't ever recall running into any invisible walls that I had to go around or weird glitches that would remind that this just a game. The only walls I couldn't climb were the ones in the temples. But I've ran into invisible walls trying to climb an area with games like Witcher 3 and Destiny 2 trying to reach somewhere and it's like "okay... these fuckin' developers didn't foresee or want me trying to reach it this way huh...?"

Breathe of the wild is the most overrated game this year.

SRS

ok guy

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/what-am-i-missing-when-it-comes-to-zelda.3486991/

Breathe of the wild is the most overrated game this year.

This I can agree with 100%. The game got a 10/10 that it did not deserve at all. I had trouble beating 1 boss in that game it was the very first boss. After that I got my link sword and I literally did nothing against the other bosses except wait for them to get into striking distance and spam the attack button the would always die. Way to easy.

At least the final boss took some actual skill to play but they should have put more thought into the other bosses as well. The water one was the only one that was a challenge it's like they did the water boss and said fuck it were done. Either way I still enjoyed the game but I hope the next installment goes back towards it's roots a bit. I enjoyed the old formula of one big dungeon with tons of puzzles to proceed. Items needed to reach certain areas was also great.

You start with three hearts and no gear.

You end with often countless hearts and tons of interesting gear.

It's within that journey / arc that the game is fun! Combine that with the fact it's not a dungeon crawler but giant world / story to unlock and explore with unique and puzzle like dungeons with very cool themes / races attached to them, et cetera.

Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania all have similar progression systems as far as how you gain access to items and unlock doors / pathways to explore the map.

All that combined with the nostalgia, Nintendo aesthetic, balanced / interesting gameplay, etc. Hugely popular games!

This I can agree with 100%. The game got a 10/10 that it did not deserve at all. I had trouble beating 1 boss in that game it was the very first boss. After that I got my link sword and I literally did nothing against the other bosses except wait for them to get into striking distance and spam the attack button the would always die. Way to easy.

At least the final boss took some actual skill to play but they should have put more thought into the other bosses as well. The water one was the only one that was a challenge it's like they did the water boss and said fuck it were done. Either way I still enjoyed the game but I hope the next installment goes back towards it's roots a bit. I enjoyed the old formula of one big dungeon with tons of puzzles to proceed. Items needed to reach certain areas was also great.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good game...but not deserving of all those perfect scores. 8/10 at best imo.

Because it's nintendo last game I played by them that had a good story was the world ends with you. Time and time again they get pass for their shit tier graphics and story telling.

BOTW was a legit good game tho, one of the few modern nintendo titles deserving of its accolades imo.

Lmao you nintendorks are such losers not everyone is gonna like the game and think it's the best Eva!!!! Get over it bud
But what's the point of making the same exact thread in the same exact forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back