Someone please explain to me how you think you only need your martial arts training f

Mw6ky.gif

By the way, those NRA "More guns equals less crime" arguments are pretty thin. For example, crime went down between 1992 and 2005 while gun ownership went up. But crime went up between 1962 and 1992. Did gun ownership go down drastically during those years? You can make lots of leaps of logic in both directions, so I'd just as soon leave those kind of conjectures out of the discussion.

Private ownership of handguns was never really widespread in the USA until the 1980s-1990s. Carrying of handguns was generally forbidden in most states throughout the 1950s-1990s.

Most people had rifles/shotguns in the 1950s-1990s but they didn't carry handguns on any sort of basis, let alone a regular basis.

More guns indeed means less crime.

Gun laws were pretty brutal in many states in the 1960s-1980s, with some states going so far as to prohibit transportation of any firearm, even stripped down and locked up, in a vehicle.

Here's another scenario: you are out for a late night stroll when you are mugged at gun point - fortunately, you've got your gun in your concealed holster. So what are you going to do? Turn this into a quick draw shoot out when the other guy already has his weapon drawn and pointed at you? Correct move is to give him your wallet, car keys, whatever you have -- and don't even wait for him to ask you, either -- and once again, take off running like the wind. If he shoots at you while you're running away, keep fucking running; according to some police studies, bad guys only hit a moving target about 5% of the time. If you stop, turn around and become a stationary to target return fire, you are worsening the chances of your survival. And the worst thing you could have done for your survival chances was to try to quick draw the guy at the beginning.

A concealed carry guy in my area was in a parking lot at a bank late at night, getting some money at the machine. A man with a knife got the drop on him and was holding the knife to his gut area. If he had tried to draw he would have been gutted in an instant... The guy demanded his wallet and his ATM card, which he gave up. The guy then demanded his truck keys, which he gave up. The man then said, "thanks" and jammed the knife into the guy's gut. The guy staggered back, his gut gushing with blood, and he drew his gun, screaming at the guy that he was going to shoot him, which caused the criminal to immediately go prone. I believe the guy (concealed carry guy) may have urinated his pants as he was holding the criminal at gunpoint, and trying to keep pressure on the wound and focus on the wound, the criminal slithered off into the bushes and then ran off, while he was making a phonecall to paramedics.

Had he done nothing, he could have easily been stabbed again and again, or his throat could have been cut.

If he had a knowledge of grappling, perhaps he would have been able to use technique/skills to create the distance necessary to safely draw and he wouldn't have been stabbed in the gutting.

Why cooperate with somebody who isn't going to want a witness? Fight back for all you're worth!

I'm not going to count on the mercy of those who never show any.

And you guys are missing my point; guns are fine, just don't put all your eggs in that basket. Too many people walk around thinking, "If anything happens, I've got a gun." In other words, the real reason many people have guns is to help provide them with a feeling of security -- which is on of the most dangerous things there is.

A gun doesn't take away the need to mentally prepare for violence, because in a real violent encounter, it is not a gun that is going to tilt the odds in your favor; it is making good decisions quickly.

For example, let's say you are lying in bed with the wife or girlfriend (let's say you have no kids in this scenario). You hear a loud crash in the front of the house, so you grab your gun off the night stand to go investigate ---

Wrong fucking move - you are expecting so much trouble that you are bringing a gun, but you are still going out there? The right move is to grab the missus by the hair, go out the fucking back window, and run like the wind.

Here's another scenario: you are out for a late night stroll when you are mugged at gun point - fortunately, you've got your gun in your concealed holster. So what are you going to do? Turn this into a quick draw shoot out when the other guy already has his weapon drawn and pointed at you? Correct move is to give him your wallet, car keys, whatever you have -- and don't even wait for him to ask you, either -- and once again, take off running like the wind. If he shoots at you while you're running away, keep fucking running; according to some police studies, bad guys only hit a moving target about 5% of the time. If you stop, turn around and become a stationary to target return fire, you are worsening the chances of your survival. And the worst thing you could have done for your survival chances was to try to quick draw the guy at the beginning.

There are just as many ways to make bad decisions with guns as there are without, and often times the consequences are made worse. Having a gun might make you feel like a man who can protect himself and his loved ones by fighting back -- and that mindset is often tragically misguided. Real self defense is not about taking out the bad guy, and it's certainly not about protecting property. It's about getting the hell out of Dodge ASAP. It's not fight OR flight; it's the fight FOR flight. Guns too often make people lose sight of this.

By the way, those NRA "More guns equals less crime" arguments are pretty thin. For example, crime went down between 1992 and 2005 while gun ownership went up. But crime went up between 1962 and 1992. Did gun ownership go down drastically during those years? You can make lots of leaps of logic in both directions, so I'd just as soon leave those kind of conjectures out of the discussion.

I take it you don't know many actual gun owners because your perception of them is very skewed. Most gun owners aren't looking for fights or opportunities to be vigilantes, but they do want the option to carry one should the need arise. Having a gun simply gives a person more options than they would have if they didn't carry one.

Do you really carry a holstered gun around your house with you? Really? When you are brushing your teeth? Eating breakfast? Making sexy time? That's... well... there you have it (Are you like the last :20 seconds?)

On a side note, the number of reported accidental shootings or "gun accidents" is a hard number. I don't see how you can call that an invented statistic. However, I do agree with you that the statistical appilactions are disputable. Where most statistics get into trouble is when they attempt to compare (or are used to compare) unanalogous situations.

Gun control is actually racist.

JPFO - "No Guns for Negroes"

JPFO's movie, "No Guns for Negroes" -exposes the racist history of American gun control laws. Every person who supports gun control laws must be shown this film or gun ownership will cease to exist in America.

Don't become a former gun owner because you chose not to show "No Guns for Negroes "to every one you know.

A FREE, high-quality DVD of "No Guns for Negroes" is yours with a one-year JPFO membership. Make a two-year commitment and you also get a FREE copy of the award winning

America has a problem in that a small portion of the population, about 3-4% of the nation, commits approximately 60-70% of all violent crimes. This 3-4% hails from a demographic category that, as a whole, comprises no more than 12-13% of the nation. Why should all citizens suffer because a percentage of a minority population commits an insanely massive amount of crime?

Was reading this thread from the beginning, and was with you up until this point.

I'm curious, why didn't you just say black people? As it was obvious that was your implication, and weren't you against statistics, atleast by the anti gun people? I mean seriously it's not like your thought isn't pervasive around the majority of the population who'd look at me as a criminal for walking down the street with a baseball cap.

Was reading this thread from the beginning, and was with you up until this point.

I'm curious, why didn't you just say black people? As it was obvious that was your implication, and weren't you against statistics, atleast by the anti gun people? I mean seriously it's not like your thought isn't pervasive around the majority of the population who'd look at me as a criminal for walking down the street with a baseball cap.

Why? Because it wouldn't be all black people, it is a certain segment of the black community. As I said...

about 3-4% of the nation, commits approximately 60-70% of all violent crimes. This 3-4% hails from a demographic category that, as a whole, comprises no more than 12-13% of the nation.

Hence, a segment of the black community commits a vast proportion of the nation's crime. It would be erroneous to state all blacks are criminals or all crimes are perpetrated by blacks, but to ignore the fact that a portion of the black community commits a huge amount of the nation's crime, would be foolish and would hinder crime prevention efforts. But when 3% of the nation commits about 60% of the nation's crime, that is a problem that has to be addressed.

And you guys are missing my point; guns are fine, just don't put all your eggs in that basket. Too many people walk around thinking, "If anything happens, I've got a gun." In other words, the real reason many people have guns is to help provide them with a feeling of security -- which is on of the most dangerous things there is.

A gun doesn't take away the need to mentally prepare for violence, because in a real violent encounter, it is not a gun that is going to tilt the odds in your favor; it is making good decisions quickly.

For example, let's say you are lying in bed with the wife or girlfriend (let's say you have no kids in this scenario). You hear a loud crash in the front of the house, so you grab your gun off the night stand to go investigate ---

Wrong fucking move - you are expecting so much trouble that you are bringing a gun, but you are still going out there? The right move is to grab the missus by the hair, go out the fucking back window, and run like the wind.

There are just as many ways to make bad decisions with guns as there are without, and often times the consequences are made worse. Having a gun might make you feel like a man who can protect himself and his loved ones by fighting back -- and that mindset is often tragically misguided. Real self defense is not about taking out the bad guy, and it's certainly not about protecting property. It's about getting the hell out of Dodge ASAP. It's not fight OR flight; it's the fight FOR flight. Guns too often make people lose sight of this.

The entire basis of your argument boils down to the assumption that gun owners are idiots who don't know anything about self defense. You assume that gun owners will use their gun at the first chance they get without any training or foresight.

Your weak rhetoric can be defeated by simply replacing the word "gun" with "martial art". The same arguments you use can apply to anyone that has martial arts training, someone who carries any sort of self defense tool, even someone who just works out.

For instance:
"you are out for a late night stroll when you are mugged at gun point - fortunately, you've got 10 years of martial arts training."

You conveniently exclude any variables in your scenarios that might blow holes in them. In your home invasion scenario you even say let's say "let's say you have no kids in this scenario". What if you DO have kids? What if your bedroom is on the second story? What if you live in a shitty neighborhood where you need bars on the windows? It seems like you think every gun owner is some wannabe thug looking for a fight.

Real self defense is not about taking out the bad guy, and it's certainly not about protecting property. It's about getting the hell out of Dodge ASAP. It's not fight OR flight; it's the fight FOR flight.

I completely agree with this. However I disagree with your assertion that guns "make people lose sight of this". Responsible gun owners (and especially legal concealed carriers) know the laws, the consequences of their actions, and that their guns are only to be used as a last resort.

Thankfully not all countries let their people have the right to carry guns.

It's usually the people who illegally obtain their guns that are committing crimes with them

Hand to hand styles are great (I like and do MT when I have time) but you can't do shit in a gunfight without a gun.

There are definite assholes out there that would hurt/kill people just because, why be another moving target when you can shoot back?

That and you can't really do MT or grappling on pitbulls...

The use of a firearm or knife is just another martial art to me.

Someone like Miyamoto Musashi would understand this.

A concealed carry guy in my area was in a parking lot at a bank late at night, getting some money at the machine. A man with a knife got the drop on him and was holding the knife to his gut area. If he had tried to draw he would have been gutted in an instant... The guy demanded his wallet and his ATM card, which he gave up. The guy then demanded his truck keys, which he gave up. The man then said, "thanks" and jammed the knife into the guy's gut. The guy staggered back, his gut gushing with blood, and he drew his gun, screaming at the guy that he was going to shoot him, which caused the criminal to immediately go prone. I believe the guy (concealed carry guy) may have urinated his pants as he was holding the criminal at gunpoint, and trying to keep pressure on the wound and focus on the wound, the criminal slithered off into the bushes and then ran off, while he was making a phonecall to paramedics.

Had he done nothing, he could have easily been stabbed again and again, or his throat could have been cut.

If he had a knowledge of grappling, perhaps he would have been able to use technique/skills to create the distance necessary to safely draw and he wouldn't have been stabbed in the gutting.

Why cooperate with somebody who isn't going to want a witness? Fight back for all you're worth!

I'm not going to count on the mercy of those who never show any.

I can appreciate this scenario, and I feel very badly for the guy. I sincerely hope he recovers fully and as quickly as possible. Most criminals are vicious, depraved human beings... I am not naive to that fact. However, this still doesn't mean that the optimum self defense strategy is one employing force.

The mugging defense scenario that I mentally rehearse over and over again is, "Here's my wallet, here's my keys," TURN AND SPRINT. No hands up, no waiting for his response, not even waiting for him to ask for my keys. If anyone is going to stab me they are going to have to either 1) catch me completely by surprise in a fully committed ambush attack 2) stab while running faster than me.

Also, of course, the first line of defense in situational awareness, and although even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes, ATM machines in parking lots at night are a great place to avoid. And if you have to go to a place like this, your senses should be twitching every second.

I can appreciate this scenario, and I feel very badly for the guy. I sincerely hope he recovers fully and as quickly as possible. Most criminals are vicious, depraved human beings... I am not naive to that fact. However, this still doesn't mean that the optimum self defense strategy is one employing force.

The mugging defense scenario that I mentally rehearse over and over again is, "Here's my wallet, here's my keys," TURN AND SPRINT. No hands up, no waiting for his response, not even waiting for him to ask for my keys. If anyone is going to stab me they are going to have to either 1) catch me completely by surprise in a fully committed ambush attack 2) stab while running faster than me.

Also, of course, the first line of defense in situational awareness, and although even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes, ATM machines in parking lots at night are a great place to avoid. And if you have to go to a place like this, your senses should be twitching every second.

I went to the ATM once, a drive-up one, and there was a guy with a parked car next to the ATM lane, standing outside of the car, I stopped and motioned he could go ahead since it seemed he wanted to walk up instead of drive-up, he motioned at me to "go ahead" and then he positioned himself somewhat behind my car, which caused me to draw my pistol, keep it low, out of sight, but at the ready, and I kept my eye on the rear-view mirror while using my other hand to key the numbers.

As a rule I never engage the parking brake, I never put my car in park, and I never shut my car off, I simply keep one foot on the brake in the event I have to take it off the brake, jam it on the gas, and speed away.

When somebody wants to walk up behind my car when I'm at the ATM, particularly when they told me to go in front of them (this cause me a lot of suspicion because most people just aren't that nice, particularly with a potential get-away vehicle parked in the next lane) it causes me to go into high alert mode. I was tempted to just drive away but I'm not going to let a potential thug run me off from going about my daily business.

As for me, I'm not letting anybody get my wallet because it has my personal information and address in it, along with a spare car key tucked inside. Nor will I let them get my car-keys as my house keys are attached to the key set, along with my flash-drive with more personal information and files (such as a list of all the serial numbers and descriptions of all the guns I own in the event there is a burglary while I am away and have to report them as stolen), along with backup keys for my gun safes, along with other stuff.

In short, if anybody wants my wallet, my car, my GPS (which would guide them right to my house), my keys, etc, it's going to be a fight and one of us is not going away without serious damage, and it won't be me.

I'm not going to let somebody have a map to my house, along with all the keys they'd need to just walk in, hurt the people I care about, and take everything I've worked hard to get.

The way I see it, my attitude towards the basic thug is this, "if you want my car, go ahead and make a move, you're going to have to kill me to get it, and I guarantee you my training is vastly superior to yours and I have no problem killing you to stop you from killing me..."

Not to mention if I am going on a road-trip which will take me more than 50-100 miles from home I first put on my under armor shirt, then my concealable body armor, then my regular t-shirt, because you never know who you might encounter on the road. Not to mention a ballistic vest reduces impact trauma in a vehicle collision and many police officers who have been in car crashes have credited being saved to their ballistic vests.

So the random thug who goes after me to try to take my car, even if he gets the drop on me won't know that A- I am armed (100% chance), B- I am wearing body armor (depending on where I am, or what time of day it is, odds vary, on long road trips, almost 100% chance), C- I'm a blue belt in BJJ.

Basically all I need to know about him is that he's a thug with a gun who is presently alive and shortly will either be dead or otherwise incapacitated. I assume I'm not going to be held up at gunpoint or attacked with a knife by a Navy SEAL, a professional MMA fighter, or a tactical pistol course instructor. I'm expecting that whoever attacks me will not have a respectable honest profession and will not have training comparable to mine. Maybe that expectation is wrong, but historical precedent would reinforce my view.

If a citizen has a vigorous training program, he is unlikely to be attacked by anybody on par with him in regards to skill/training.

Have you ever read in the newspaper, "BJJ black belt mugs old woman" that sort of thing basically never happens because the sort of people who are disciplined enough to train are generally decent people who have to be decent enough to find training partners to train with them and gyms that accept them. If you're a thug you probably won't last long in a legitimate gym. The same thing goes for tactical pistol/rifle courses, most of which actually require background checks and sometimes even character references, before they let you attend their course.

Wow! A lot here! Thanks for the reply. I'll have to respond bit by bit.

As a rule I never engage the parking brake, I never put my car in park, and I never shut my car off, I simply keep one foot on the brake in the event I have to take it off the brake, jam it on the gas, and speed away.
Not a bad idea. At the very least, I'd recommend that anyone be mindful that they try not to stop their car in a place (including too close to the car in front of them at a red light) that they can't get out of by jamming the gas.

When somebody wants to walk up behind my car when I'm at the ATM, particularly when they told me to go in front of them (this cause me a lot of suspicion because most people just aren't that nice, particularly with a potential get-away vehicle parked in the next lane) it causes me to go into high alert mode. I was tempted to just drive away but I'm not going to let a potential thug run me off from going about my daily business.
Interesting you say this. Talk to an expert, and they will tell you that most victims of violent crime begin their stories the same way. "I had a bad feeling, but ..." If I had a bad feeling about a weird card sitting next to me, I would pull out of the ATM in a second. You might think of it as a disruption of your daily life, but it's a pretty minor price to pay to escape from a potentially life-threatening encounter. After all, it doesn't happen that much that you get a genuinely bad feeling about something, unless you walk around paranoid, which is the opposite of a relaxed, but "turned on" mindset.

As for me, I'm not letting anybody get my wallet because it has my personal information and address in it, along with a spare car key tucked inside. Nor will I let them get my car-keys as my house keys are attached to the key set, along with my flash-drive with more personal information and files (such as a list of all the serial numbers and descriptions of all the guns I own in the event there is a burglary while I am away and have to report them as stolen), along with backup keys for my gun safes, along with other stuff.
I will give up my keys and wallet in a heart beat. Call 911 immediately (if a criminal gets your wallet and keys, by the way, the chance of him going to your house immediately are very low because he knows the cops will be there shortly), change the locks, use the deadbolts, bar the windows, install a good security system, get an extra dog (I already have a pit), be extra vigilant for a long while. Does it suck? Yes, but not as much as being potentially killed in a violent encounter. And probably not quite as much as going through the court system after you shoot someone dead, either. And certainly not as much as doing jail time if the court should happen to decide the wrong way.

The way I see it, my attitude towards the basic thug is this, "if you want my car, go ahead and make a move, you're going to have to kill me to get it, and I guarantee you my training is vastly superior to yours and I have no problem killing you to stop you from killing me..."

Not to mention if I am going on a road-trip which will take me more than 50-100 miles from home I first put on my under armor shirt, then my concealable body armor, then my regular t-shirt, because you never know who you might encounter on the road. Not to mention a ballistic vest reduces impact trauma in a vehicle collision and many police officers who have been in car crashes have credited being saved to their ballistic vests.

That's fine, and that's your right, but to me wearing body armor every time I take a trip is more of a disruption to my life than occasionally making extra adjustments to my behavior such as driving away from the above-mentioned ATM.

Basically all I need to know about him is that he's a thug with a gun who is presently alive and shortly will either be dead or otherwise incapacitated. I assume I'm not going to be held up at gunpoint or attacked with a knife by a Navy SEAL, a professional MMA fighter, or a tactical pistol course instructor. I'm expecting that whoever attacks me will not have a respectable honest profession and will not have training comparable to mine. Maybe that expectation is wrong, but historical precedent would reinforce my view.

I agree in theory, but remember Lightening Lee Murray and Charles Bennett...:D But in seriousness, a thug is not likely to have top shelf training; however, don't underestimate the fact that they are probably very used to violence, and as little as you will hesitate before killing him, he will hesitate even less before killing you, and he well may have practice on other victims to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! A lot here! Thanks for the reply. I'll have to respond bit by bit.

Not a bad idea. At the very least, I'd recommend that anyone be mindful that they try not to stop their car in a place (including too close to the car in front of them at a red light) that they can't get out of by jamming the gas.

Interesting you say this. Talk to an expert, and they will tell you that most victims of violent crime begin their stories the same way. "I had a bad feeling, but ..." If I had a bad feeling about a weird card sitting next to me, I would pull out of the ATM in a second. You might think of it as a disruption of your daily life, but it's a pretty minor price to pay to escape from a potentially life-threatening encounter. After all, it doesn't happen that much that you get a genuinely bad feeling about something, unless you walk around paranoid, which is the opposite of a relaxed, but "turned on" mindset.

I always leave enough room to maneuver when stopped in traffic, to the point that it sometimes annoys the idiot behind me, but my theory is "what does it matter if I wait for the light twelve feet behind the guy in front of me or two feet behind the guy in front of me, we're all still waiting on the same light."

If I have to, I am willing to run an attacker over, I am willing to go left of center (if I can safely do it), and I am willing to go on the sidewalk, the shoulder, bump other cars out of the way, etc, if I wind up in a situation where I am boxed in. Most people are generally not willing to do such things or it simply never even occurs to them to do such things. Most people see escape routes as driving forward, perhaps sometimes in reverse, but I see escape routes via any path that my vehicle can actually traverse with minimal risk of becoming hopelessly mired/stuck. I have no problem jumping the curb, driving over the sidewalk, and using a nearby strip mall parking lot to escape an attack.

Generally most crime victims have a story that begins with some variation of "I never saw it coming" or "he came out of nowhere."

That's particularly common in instances of rape, although seldom do people "come out of nowhere" they are there for those who are on guard for them.

With many criminals if they know that you notice them and are aware of their presence they will move on because they have lost the element of surprise.

I will give up my keys and wallet in a heart beat. Call 911 immediately (if a criminal gets your wallet and keys, by the way, the chance of him going to your house immediately are very low because he knows the cops will be there shortly), change the locks, use the deadbolts, bar the windows, install a good security system, get an extra dog (I already have a pit), be extra vigilant for a long while. Does it suck? Yes, but not as much as being potentially killed in a violent encounter. And probably not quite as much as going through the court system after you shoot someone dead, either. And certainly not as much as doing jail time if the court should happen to decide the wrong way.

I've been meaning to get self-defense liability insurance from the NRA... Basically, as long as you are acquitted criminally (or if charges are never even brought against you) they will reimburse you up to $250,000 dollars for anything that you encounter in the civil suit.

In a decent state you will never be charged/indicted for a self-defense shooting, and if you are charged you will be acquitted. In my state my main worry will be a civil suit by the next of kin.

"My baby boy was such a kind and loving man, you shoot him over nothing! All he had was a knife! He was trying to work hard and get clean, but he had bills to pay and he needed that money! He wasn't going to hurt you! You shot my baby dead!"

That sort of thing, where some idiot parent who raised a POS kid and never cared about them, suddenly pops up in court with pictures of their kid (probably taken by the grandparents years ago) when he was 11 and in the church choir instead of 19 and in the street gang like at the time when he tried to stick a knife in your ribs for your wallet. When they learn their "baby's" death could be worth some money, suddenly they take interest.

I don't, I just train for exercise/ fun. Also, I know that I can handle myself in an unarmed combat situation.

I'm thinkin about takin some Krav Maga though, a school just opened up close to my University, and it would be nice to know how to defend against knives/ guns/ etc, if for nothing more than some piece of mind. Because life is unpredictable, it's nice to be able to try and prepare for the things that seem most heinous & preventable.

I don't, I just train for exercise/ fun. Also, I know that I can handle myself in an unarmed combat situation.

I'm thinkin about takin some Krav Maga though, a school just opened up close to my University, and it would be nice to know how to defend against knives/ guns/ etc, if for nothing more than some piece of mind. Because life is unpredictable, it's nice to be able to try and prepare for the things that seem most heinous & preventable.

I think that any "peace of mind" you gained by training in unarmed combat tactics vs. knives and guns would be false peace of mind. Don't get me wrong; it's great to experiment with prop knives and guns, but don't fall for any of that locked-out attack disarming crap. If your partner is going to use a prop knife or gun, make sure you both wear proper safety equipment, and make sure he goes at 100% in whatever way he wants, so that you get a real respect for just how difficult it would be to take on a weapon barehanded.

Realistic Fear/ Healthy Respect >>>> Peace of Mind

I think the people who say "the only weapons i need to defend myself are my hands and feet" are idiots...

explain to me how this is true??

The one thing I have learned over my 24+ years is that you can never have enough weapons when it comes to your safety or that of your family period. As you get older, the body won't do what it use to, so you improvise, adapt and overcome and go in other directions to defend yourself and your loved ones.

I say fuck it. In a street fight I'm going to use any means possible to end the fight as quick as possible.

Back