Something Doesn't Add Up About Punk...

Well it just goes to show you that being a fan and receiving some training is not exactly enough to be competing at the highest level. I am a huge basketball fan. I love the NBA. I can train with the best people on the planet for two years straight and look like complete dog shit trying to play with NBA players. He had no business in the octagon. Everybody knew this.

We are not talking about competing at the highest level. We are talking about showing no skills whatsoever. It's like he trained for a week, not years. Do you know of any blue belt that is worse than that? Or anyone who has trained boxing for even one year?

Some people just don't have it. No matter how much will or heart they have they just don't have the physical traits to allow them to compete.

I mean, I've seen people far more out of shape and as unathletic if not more than Punk learn basic skills just by virtue of training with some regularity. Punk has been training for years, yet he evinces skills worthy of someone who hasn't trained for even a few months.

We are not talking about competing at the highest level. We are talking about showing no skills whatsoever. It's like he trained for a week, not years. Do you know of any blue belt that is worse than that? Or anyone who has trained boxing for even one year?

He sucks I get it. He is god awful. The person most responsible for the whole thing is Duke. That is his head coach. He has a lot of experience with training High-level guys. He fully understands what it takes. He basically stole punks money for a couple years and maybe did it for his own publicity.

He sucks I get it. He is god awful. The person most responsible for the whole thing is Duke. That is his head coach. He has a lot of experience with training High-level guys. He fully understands what it takes. He basically stole punks money for a couple years and maybe did it for his own publicity.

I still wonder how much he actually trained. I am finding hard to believe he even trained twice a week.

I still wonder how much he actually trained. I am finding hard to believe he even trained twice a week.

I think he trained. Some people are just not built to do certain things in spite of how much they might truly enjoy or dream of doing it at a very high-level. Although he had a lot of distractions in this so-called camp for this particular fight. Who knows? As you said his skills are obviously horrendous.. Embarrassingly horrendous..

I think he trained. Some people are just not built to do certain things in spite of how much they might truly enjoy or dream of doing it at a very high-level. Although he had a lot of distractions in this so-called camp for this particular fight. Who knows? As you said his skills are obviously horrendous.. Embarrassingly horrendous..

They are bafflingly horrendous. He must have a disability if he trained and fights like that.

Or, and this maybe makes some sense: he just didn't spar MMA rounds much if at all. So with the nerves and all, he just didn't have experience to know how to use what he learned during drills and rolls, at all.

Well it just goes to show you that being a fan and receiving some training is not exactly enough to be competing at the highest level. I am a huge basketball fan. I love the NBA. I can train with the best people on the planet for two years straight and look like complete dog shit trying to play with NBA players. He had no business in the octagon. Everybody knew this.
He fought a guy who was 0-1 as a pro fighter. He wasn't fighting a UFC fighter. A UFC caliber fighter would have put him in the hospital. He's lucky Gall subbed him instead of concussing him.

Also, see join date. I've seen tens of thousands of fights, and I can say since Giant Silva and Zulu I have not seen something as abysmal. Gabi García's striking comes close. But all of those people have physical disabilities and developmental deformations.

He fought a guy who was 0-1 as a pro fighter. He wasn't fighting a UFC fighter. A UFC caliber fighter would have put him in the hospital. He's lucky Gall subbed him instead of concussing him.

Yeah that is true. I think that Mickey is a UFC level guy. The king of pop not so much. Punk is just terrible at this.

So true. Ability to take a solid punch to the face/head and maintain wits should be an early finding. Some people really don’t have this talent.
This is why I laugh at people and their “A Level athlete” arguments. Just being super athletic won’t make you dominate fighting. Being able to handle being punched and kicked and stay composed is a skill in itself, and if you don’t have it, you’ll get exposed real quick.

This is why I laugh at people and their “A Level athlete” arguments. Just being super athletic won’t make you dominate fighting. Being able to handle being punched and kicked and stay composed is a skill in itself, and if you don’t have it, you’ll get exposed real quick.
Best of luck on your upcoming headlining act Monsta! :D

Best of luck on your upcoming headlining act Monsta! :D
Thanks, man. I’m really excited about this one. Worked my ass off too so I can’t wait to show it.

Some good answers already.

My take - First, the ability to learn decreases a lot after people reach adulthood, and keeps decreasing as you get older. Punk started learning MMA at around age 35, so already he was at a HUGE disadvantage because of that alone. Second, it seemed like Punk panicked in there, that nerves got the better of him, and much of his learning went out the window as a result. It's like you study as much as you can for an exam, then the exam is placed in front of you and your mind freezes up.

I´d say he has the skills of some WMMA fighters. Not to crap on them but it could be worse.
MMA isn´t for everyone. I´ve seen guys at the gym that never develops, could be their own fault or the coaches i don´t know.

For a dude that has no clue about grappling or MA, i´d say he looked like many would after just a couple of years training.

And yes it´s bizarre he is/was even allowed in the UFC.

People need to understand the reality of competition.

There are people who play video games like Heroes of the Storm every day for hours and still go 1-14 in random games.

There have been people in every wrestling team I have competed on who just always sucked, no matter how much time they put in.

Think of it like a savings fund. You can work your ass off working 80 hours a week at minimum wage and putting 50% of your income in savings. But in the end you will always have less than someone who hasn't worked a day in his life but wins a 500 million dollar lottery jackpot and puts 20% in once. Some people win the genetic lottery and some people lose. And for the people who lose they will always lose no matter how hard they work.

Last edited:
Jose Canseco at one point was the closest equivalent of Michael Jordan in baseball, the first man with the speed to steal 40 bases and the power to his 40 home runs.

Sure he was a few years older than Punk, but he was also 6'4" 250 jacked and on roids. A martial arts background. And yet he struggled even in celebrity boxing. Give Punk a break.

After watching him in WWE, its difficult to see how it's possible that he could look that uncoordinated.

If I had to guess, its his pro wrestling background is what's hurting him. He did that shit for like 20 yrs. And I imagine you have to be perfect with your timing and working with the other guy so you don't really hurt one another. You can't be off on that.

So, you take 20yrs of that repetition, you try to drop that and re-program your brain to learn the proper techniques for actual fighting, he gets mentally tripped up when he tries to apply it. You can see in some of his movements how he instinctively counters like he would a wrestling move, but his mind catches it in mid-form and he's already lost the counter before he can correct it. The result is he looks goofy and awkward in his movements, and got tagged easily for it.

You add that with the age and road wear of pro wrestling and his bod probably isn't going to respond like he'd need it to be an effective fighter. I just don't see him ever getting beyond the amatuer level. That said, he's got my respect for going in there twice, and taking a beating.

Back