Something happening in Saudi Arabia. Heavy gunfire reported.

Yeah, but if he isn't a CIA asset, you don't violate an extradition treaty because you think he was innocent.

Also, I believe the list is over 20 people they want extradited now, including Gulen, but also his whole American Turkish network.

The only reason you risk an international incedent, and set precedent to ignore extradition treaties for a handful of people, is if they are intelligence assets.
Uh, what? That's a very good reason not to extradite him. Should we just send over whoever the Turks ask for?

Uh, what? That's a very good reason not to extradite him. Should we just send over whoever the Turks ask for?

Yes, that is what an extradition treaty is.

If it didn't, the treaty would say you have to prove guilt in court before being extradited.

Western media swept the event under the carpet, brushing it off as nothing more than a toy drone running rogue – repeating the script given to them by King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

Bigleaguepolitics.com reports: Many on the ground in Saudi Arabia aren’t buying that story, and several eyewitnesses have confirmed that there was a coup attempt against the King and his Crown Prince, Mohammed Bin Salman.

“Saudi opposition members claimed that ‘a senior ground force officer has led a raid on the palace to kill the king and the crown prince,’” says a Farsnews report.

https://www.google.se/amp/yournewswire.com/coup-saudi-arabia-media-blackout/amp/

Wasn't a very sophisticated coup if it ended in 30sec.

There may be an accidental drone or part of the area’s footage to help the attackers, but the shooting has nothing to do with it,” said another eyewitness with over 2 million Twitter followers. “It was an exchange of fire from two sides that took almost a whole hour.

There may be an accidental drone or part of the area’s footage to help the attackers, but the shooting has nothing to do with it,” said another eyewitness with over 2 million Twitter followers. “It was an exchange of fire from two sides that took almost a whole hour.

Hour worth of gunfire and only 3 video uploads?

Hour worth of gunfire and only 3 video uploads?

I came to present sources

I am not here to tell you what to make of it

if you think it's reasonable to have a media
blackout because of one drone that strayed
too close to the royal palace then I suppose
there really is nothing to see here

Why hasn't the news mentioned any of this at all?

Yes, that is what an extradition treaty is.

If it didn't, the treaty would say you have to prove guilt in court before being extradited.
Well that’s just not accurate. From the 1979 treaty:

OBLIGATION TO EXTRADITE

(b) For the offense of association to commit a crime under the laws of Turkey and for conspiracy under the laws of the United States when the facts establish an offense under the laws of both Contracting Parties;

So yes, when trying a conspiracy case, evidence is required before extradition can be granted. You can’t just request the other country send back your nationals for a conspiracy trial without evidence that a crime was committed. That offense of association would also have to meet the requirements for an offense under US law as well. Furthermore:

CONDITIONS OF REFUSAL
(1) Extradition shall not be granted:
(a) If the offense for which extradition is requested is regarded by the Requested Party to be of a political character or an offense connected with such an offense; or if the Requested Party concludes that the request for extradition has, in fact, been made to prosecute or punish the person sought for an offense of a political character or on account of his political opinions.

So the Requested Party (the US) can refuse extradition if it is believed that the extradited party is only being punished for their political opinions. This would require Turkey to provide some evidence that there was an actual criminal offense committed, and that his prosecution would be related solely to that offense, not just because he’s a critic of Erdogen. Finally:

CONTENTS OF THE REQUEST
(1) A request relating to a person being prosecuted or who is charged with an offense, and who has yet to be convicted, shall be accompanied by the following:
(a) A warrant of arrest issued by a judge or other competent judicial officer;
(b) A statement of the facts of the case;
(c) Such evidence as, according to the laws of the Requested Party, would justify arrest and committal
for trial of the person sought if the offense had been committed in the territory of the Requested Party;
(d) [*10] Evidence proving that the person sought is the person to whom the warrant of arrest refers, including information, if available, on nationality; and
(e) The text of the applicable laws of the Requesting Party, including the law defining the offense, the law prescribing the punishment for the offense, and the law relating to the limitation of legal proceedings or the enforcement of the penalty for the offense.

So in order to request extradition, yes, evidence has to be provided, sufficient to justify a warrant under US law. If this standard is not met, than the US has no obligation to extradite anyone to Turkey.

The full text of the extradition treaty:

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/turkey/461177/pdf/32t3111.pdf

What people involved? You mean Gulen? Well a legitimate reason would be that he wasn't involved directly and that his followers acted on their own. The falling out between Gulen and Erdogan goes back to 2013 and the Gulen movement has been working on their long march through the institutions well before then so I think its very possible there's a level of independence there given Gulen's isolation from Turkey in Pennsylvania.

I had never heard of Gulen until after the coup/not-coup attempt.

Afterwards, I did just like a half-hour of googling who/what Gulen is and the schools.

I came across a website that was sort of like ratemyprofessor, but for schools and school districts.

One parent stated that the academics were pretty decent, but she had a feeling that the schools were simply a way to get Turkish men in their 20s visas to the US. After all, the schools would sponsor their visas because they wanted teachers who could teach Turkish curriculum, history, and culture.

This reminds me of the Arabic Spring in Saudi Arabia, media loved to push that narrative of Egypt and Tunisia to mention a few but they were extremely quiet when it came to the protests in Saudi Arabia...

Back