Sons first time sparring

BillytheFish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey all

My 9 year old had his first sparring session today. I had him up to a decent standard at home, but figured it was time to put him in with some kids his own age at a local boxing gym.

He completely shit himself getting in a ring for the first time, took a few punches and even got knocked down (and bounced right back up and went at it again).

All of his training went out of the window (as expected for first time sparring), but he was mostly nervous because of people watching him in the gym, and nervous of being on the elevated ring in the middle of the gym. Said he wasn't worried about sparring the 2 other kids at all, was just people watching. He was scared even to shadow box up there let alone spar. He got stuck in regardless though which was good.

Anyone got any tips for helping the kid's nerves? I was going to start making him shadow box in the ring and take him on the pads in that ring to get him familiar with the surroundings. I've attached a video of him from my garage this morning- he looked NOTHING like this in sparring. I had him deliberately standing static in bag video for a harder work round. He's a great kid but has no real aggression, so Ive been trying to get some in him!

Do you remember your first time sparring? Did your dad watch. Give him time. As long as its smart and controlled sparring, it will only keep getting better and more natural for him.

Work on his right cross with him; he's actually making the same mistake that haunted me my entire martial arts career. He's turning his body before throwing the punch and losing leverage, speed and telegraphing the fuck out of it as well.

It's sparring just reinforce it's about technique and let him go out there have some fun. Take notes or record it and then work on the stuff he's struggling with. And then do it all again next week.

I think you may be putting too much pressure on him, that's where the anxiety usually comes from.

I think you may be putting too much pressure on him, that's where the anxiety usually comes from.

I second this, don't pressure them at this age, it should be about fun and trying to get his fundamentals right, work on foot work games to improve his positioning.

Hey all

My 9 year old had his first sparring session today. I had him up to a decent standard at home, but figured it was time to put him in with some kids his own age at a local boxing gym.

He completely shit himself getting in a ring for the first time, took a few punches and even got knocked down (and bounced right back up and went at it again).

All of his training went out of the window (as expected for first time sparring), but he was mostly nervous because of people watching him in the gym, and nervous of being on the elevated ring in the middle of the gym. Said he wasn't worried about sparring the 2 other kids at all, was just people watching. He was scared even to shadow box up there let alone spar. He got stuck in regardless though which was good.

Anyone got any tips for helping the kid's nerves? I was going to start making him shadow box in the ring and take him on the pads in that ring to get him familiar with the surroundings. I've attached a video of him from my garage this morning- he looked NOTHING like this in sparring. I had him deliberately standing static in bag video for a harder work round. He's a great kid but has no real aggression, so Ive been trying to get some in him!

Why you tryna make your kid angry? Why would you want him to be an angry kid?
<{clintugh}>
Edit:boxing is cool though don't get me wrong.

The only way you can calm his nerves is by putting him in the ring more. He has to get comfortable with being in combat and you can only do that by being in it. Also...don’t pressure him...fighting is pressure enough...guide but don’t pressure, he’s not an adult.

Why you tryna make your kid angry? Why would you want him to be an angry kid?
<{clintugh}>
Edit:boxing is cool though don't get me wrong.

Because in any sport there is an element of aggression/anger for that extra push. Those last 30 seconds at the end of a training round, the final push? Or chasing a ball there is running to get the ball first, then there is SPRINTING to get the ball first, that's the type of anger/determination he doesnt yet have.

He is the one dictating this whole thing, Im just the one training him. He told me he wanted to spar and to fight. There has to be some pressure from a parent, for eg those days they want to play videogames all day... Id rather be bringing my kid to do something physical around other kids.

Hey all

your son looks great and IMO your a great dad for teaching him boxing and getting him started so young. Im guessing you used to box as well?

Did you guys join the gym or will just go there once in a while for sparring? I think your ideas of pads and shadow boxing in the ring are great. Also, as time passes, he will get used to/comfortable at the gym and with the people there as he gets to meet and know everyone, make friends with the other kids, etc. that should ease alot of that nervousness. and lastly like you said, it was his very first sparring session and everything went out the window, much like everyones first fight. For you, it may be just a simple sparring session for him, but given that your son has only trained in the garage with no other kids before, and hes taken to a "real" boxing gym with a elevated ring, and me and dad had to get into the car and drive on the freeway to get there! I can remember as a kid just getting onto the freeway was a big deal...anyways what im trying to get at, is probably felt much more like his first fight for the championship of the world to him than a sparring mach. If you brought some kids to your house to spar in the garage where hes comfortable he probably would have been more comfortable. either way, you started him now, so by the time hes 15 hell be an animal.

your son looks great and IMO your a great dad for teaching him boxing and getting him started so young. Im guessing you used to box as well?

Did you guys join the gym or will just go there once in a while for sparring? I think your ideas of pads and shadow boxing in the ring are great. Also, as time passes, he will get used to/comfortable at the gym and with the people there as he gets to meet and know everyone, make friends with the other kids, etc. that should ease alot of that nervousness. and lastly like you said, it was his very first sparring session and everything went out the window, much like everyones first fight. For you, it may be just a simple sparring session for him, but given that your son has only trained in the garage with no other kids before, and hes taken to a "real" boxing gym with a elevated ring, and me and dad had to get into the car and drive on the freeway to get there! I can remember as a kid just getting onto the freeway was a big deal...anyways what im trying to get at, is probably felt much more like his first fight for the championship of the world to him than a sparring mach. If you brought some kids to your house to spar in the garage where hes comfortable he probably would have been more comfortable. either way, you started him now, so by the time hes 15 hell be an animal.

You've hit the nail on the head for alot of things there. I used to box when I was younger so thats what got him interested, but he's choosing this over soccer, if it was soccer Id still be training him for soccer at home too.

Im not trying to turn him into a national champion or anything like that, but if he's doing something it might aswell be worth doing right. Totally agree about the freeway ride being and it probably feeling like a championship fight for him and being a big deal haha, and thanks for the ideas much appreciated!

You've hit the nail on the head for alot of things there. I used to box when I was younger so thats what got him interested, but he's choosing this over soccer, if it was soccer Id still be training him for soccer at home too.

Im not trying to turn him into a national champion or anything like that, but if he's doing something it might aswell be worth doing right. Totally agree about the freeway ride being and it probably feeling like a championship fight for him and being a big deal haha, and thanks for the ideas much appreciated!

Ryan Garcia is trained by his dad in their garage.

Because in any sport there is an element of aggression/anger for that extra push. Those last 30 seconds at the end of a training round, the final push? Or chasing a ball there is running to get the ball first, then there is SPRINTING to get the ball first, that's the type of anger/determination he doesnt yet have.

He is the one dictating this whole thing, Im just the one training him. He told me he wanted to spar and to fight. There has to be some pressure from a parent, for eg those days they want to play videogames all day... Id rather be bringing my kid to do something physical around other kids.
I'm sure you know better for him than i do. I probably didn't need to pipe up in the first place.
<mma4>
i've just seen kids with unguided anger and it didn't do anyone any good.

Have him do more shadowsparring in the ring to get used to the pressure of an opponent, without taking the hits and crumbling. Also, protect your kids brain.

That kid would kick my ass. :D

As long as he's enjoying it - I say keep training. Less pressure, as others have mentioned.

You can’t train gameness, maybe he’s bred from bad stock. The only option is to send him to the orphanage and try again.
Maybe set up a 16 woman tournament, winner gets to have your offspring. When you prime genetics stock is ready, tie him to the wheel of pain and make him push it for a few years, after that gladiatorial battles to the death.
Only way to make a champion

I'm sure you know better for him than i do. I probably didn't need to pipe up in the first place.
<mma4>
i've just seen kids with unguided anger and it didn't do anyone any good.

No I appreciate what you said and I agree. Perhaps I worded it wrong, by angry I meant 'getting stuck in' to the training session

You can’t train gameness, maybe he’s bred from bad stock. The only option is to send him to the orphanage and try again.
Maybe set up a 16 woman tournament, winner gets to have your offspring. When you prime genetics stock is ready, tie him to the wheel of pain and make him push it for a few years, after that gladiatorial battles to the death.
Only way to make a champion
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

Back