Sony Announce Playstation Classic with 20 preinstalled games

Honestly the 16-bit games have aged better than the PS1. The polygon graphics of the time look really bad.

Honestly the 16-bit games have aged better than the PS1. The polygon graphics of the time look really bad.
People would be much better off getting a PSP with custom firmware. PS1 emulation is outstanding and the dated 3D doesn't look nearly as bad on the smaller screen.
I hope the emulation on this will be better than PSTV at least.

Do I have to flip it upside down to play it?
Ah, the good ole early SCPH 1001 model with the RCA jacks on the back. The one I got in 97 was a 5001 which you still had to lean on its side.
Mine is an SCPH 7501. It's the last one that had the Gameshark port on the back (which you need for PSIO).

20 games is not much when you consider the Playstations awesome library
Yeah I was thinking "how did they choose the 20?" There are so many good games that appeal to all types of gamers. I hope they can sell games like on flash drives or something.

I looked into this less than a month ago, along with another poster or 2, and we all found the emulators and roms still easily.
LOL, I would hope so. The site is still up (for now). That's under threat-- not that piracy is hard. It's just irritating to be committing a "crime".
As i predicted, everyone that bought the classics have hardly played them. Thats how i was when i emulated the games. Just a brief time then onto the next. That said, i dont know about ps1 games. I dont know if it was on Cinemassacre.com, but ps1 games look awful. Back then, polygons were state of the art to me. Today, im very well aware that im playing a game during an experimental time.

Id like to learn how to emulate ps2 games and i really need to get on the ball with this because i loved Castlevania Lament of Innocence, and psn doesnt offer it.
Games from that generation were not just experiments. They were extraordinarily fun. Do you think gamers in the future who didn't play PS2 games in their youth who are used to Holodeck-type gaming technology will look at today's games as anything less than you look back on PS1 and earlier generations?

In any case, these are charming products, but with emulation where it is, now, not sure why anyone would pay $100 for this instead of $197 for an NVIDIA Shield with a remote and a controller on Amazon (was $139.99 on Prime Day this year, so it's worth waiting for sales). NVIDIA has impressed the hell out of me with their commitment to this product, so I plug it everywhere it makes sense, and it certainly does here. Turns out it wasn't just another half-baked cash grab in the early cordcutting HTPC days. It's NVIDIA's genuine first step towards cutting out middle men, and entering the console race:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/games/
Just got an NVIDIA Shield...any tips?

Timestamped. Not optimal, but viable:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that looks at this with a meh. That system doesn’t hold up as well and the graphics for the most part all look like ass now days. I’d much rather have a Dreamcast mini. That system has games people would love to revisit.

My PS3 will play PS1. I'll buy a N64 Classic to play the Zelda games on the HDTV.

The OG Crash Bandicoot trilogy just arrived on Steam, so I'll pass. I'd like to finish the Spyro games though, and I'd like Crash Team Racing. Any of the other PS1 games I don't care to play again, at least not unless they at least got an HD update

@Madmick this is what i mean. They do look bad.

This doesnt mean i don't enjoy them... but I've gotta play beloved games im giving a pass to, of course. Mines FFVIII and its Polygon city.

@Madmick this is what i mean. They do look bad.

This doesnt mean i don't enjoy them... but I've gotta play beloved games im giving a pass to, of course. Mines FFVIII and its Polygon city.
At least FF8 has prerendered backgrounds. Try playing MGS (which can barely maintain 20 FPS) all blown up on a modern TV.
Fortunately, I have a 14" Trinitron with some quality S-Video cables for older systems.

At least FF8 has prerendered backgrounds. Try playing MGS (which can barely maintain 20 FPS) all blown up on a modern TV.
Fortunately, I have a 14" Trinitron with some quality S-Video cables for older systems.
Quoting ya to say Go Gators.

Currently at Mothers in Gainesville now...drinking and thinking of pussy or spiderman for ps4

The funny thing about the PS1 era is that was when PC graphics were really running away from their console contemporaries. No PS1 or N64 game could hold a candle to even Quake 1 running on Glide or OpenGL. By the time Quake II and Unreal came out it was a wrap. That was the true PC master race era.

Sony copying Nintendo at least one time a generation seems like a sure bet at this point, some of the memes that came from this announcement concerning that are pretty damn funny.

PS1 games do not age as well as NES and SNES (and Genesis and Master System) games which can translate to hd extremely well and the gameplay was already refined after following the first and second gen consoles and Arcades. I don't think this will go over as well when people actually play the games.

The texture warping, aliasing, and badly pixelated textures alone look extremely ugly, the former two can be fixable to run in hd the latter cannot without an actual remake of the game's graphics. You'll also have to deal with the jagged polygons and bad controls in early 3-D environments that were often very confined compared to 3-D N64 games or PC games at the time (many games made with the d-pad in mind and not the analog stick).

There are some good retro early 3-D polygonal games that use that look well (Babysitter Bloodbath and Powerdrill Massacre come to mind), but they were built around the PC and being able to look upon and learn from the past whereas early 3-D polygonal games didn't have that luxury.

$100 for 20 games?

Not worth it.

There's probably three or four worth replaying once, if that.

LOL

Jim Ryan: When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

Now:

Sony announces PS1 for people to play classic games. Gotta milk that retro money. PS owners love to buy the same game 2 or 3 times anyway.

LOL

Jim Ryan: When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

Now:

Sony announces PS1 for people to play classic games. Gotta milk that retro money. PS owners love to buy the same game 2 or 3 times anyway.
They’ve offered PS1 games for quite a while on the PlayStation Store and the PS3 can play physical PS1 games.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here LOL.

They’ve offered PS1 games for quite a while on the PlayStation Store and the PS3 can play physical PS1 games.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here LOL.
I'm not making any point, just remembering what a Sony executive said when MS announced backwards compatibility.

I guess he realizes now how wrong he was. But they still charge you AGAIN for the same game. Silly.

And PS3? Come on.

I'm not making any point, just remembering what a Sony executive said when MS announced backwards compatibility.

I guess he realizes now how wrong he was. But they still charge you AGAIN for the same game. Silly.

And PS3? Come on.
Huh? This is a collector’s item that will likely be on a limited run. It has nothing to do with backwards compatibility.

Back