Sony Announce Playstation Classic with 20 preinstalled games

lol what a shitshow. Battle Arena Toshinden tho

Battle Arena Toshinden was my first ps1 game and I have no interest playing it again. You'll play it for 5 min and never play again. Tekken 3 is already on here and is 15x better.

Battle Arena Toshinden was my first ps1 game and I have no interest playing it again. You'll play it for 5 min and never play again. Tekken 3 is already on here and is 15x better.
They should've had Soul Blade instead of Battle Arena Toshinden.

It's too bad PSTV prices got jacked up. Very easy to hack and you can use a Dual Shock 3 or 4. They were selling for $30 on Amazon awhile back.

Battle Arena Toshinden was cool at the time, until Soul Blade came out and made it look wack. Going back and playing today it's 100x more garbage. Soul Blade still holds up.

I didn't need to hack the nes/snes classics to put better games on them.. the 20 game list for the ps1 makes me want to wait and see how many other games can fit on it before I buy it.

If I could just cram a few other games in there I'd probably get one.

No kidding, WTF were they thinking? If there was going to be a Toshinden game, it shouldn't be the first one. Tobal No 1 is probably the only old 3D fighter that might still hold up.

I dont understand why people buy these things. Build a rasperry pi/retro pi for less than 150 bucks.
I literally have every NES, SNES, SEGA, N64 , Playstation, gameboy,gamegear game ever made. Probably a few more im not thinking of also.

20 games!? Wow.

Who came up with this shit? I feel like you could put 10 Playstation fans in a room, let them pick their top 10 favorite games for PSONE, compile the list and narrow down to 20 total and come up with a way better game set than this.

Eh. My PS1 is currently hooked up. But tbh I don’t use it often. I’m more of a Nintendo person. Will likely pass on this.

im seeing a lot of people here asking for an n64 classic. and all i have to say is "YOU BUNCH OF HEATHENS" why haven't you still got your original ones in the box with the polystyrene packing? like i have.
Meh. I have the original 64 but I still want a mini.

Lol, so it's down to $40 on amazon/wal mart.

I actually picked it up a couple of months ago for $25 (paid $50 and got a $25 GC which I used on RE2make). Was stoked to have the Resident Evil Director's Cut with the original soundtrack. Playing though the game I remember as a kid was worth it for me. That's honestly all I've played though.

Lol, so it's down to $40 on amazon/wal mart.

I actually picked it up a couple of months ago for $25 (paid $50 and got a $25 GC which I used on RE2make). Was stoked to have the Resident Evil Director's Cut with the original soundtrack. Playing though the game I remember as a kid was worth it for me. That's honestly all I've played though.

i was musing about picking it up for $40 but i still think its too expensive... LOL.

i was musing about picking it up for $40 but i still think its too expensive... LOL.
Probably is unless you’ve got an itch for any particular game. I pry wouldn’t have bought if not for the RE version they included.

Probably is unless you’ve got an itch for any particular game. I pry wouldn’t have bought if not for the RE version they included.

Hmmm i wouldn't mind playing Wild Arms again actually. Great classic RPG - easy fun and a catchy game tune. RE, Battle Arena Toshiden and maybe FF VII but the remake is coming (eventually maybe) so meh...

Basically its not a real itch i need to scratch at all...

Hmmm i wouldn't mind playing Wild Arms again actually. Great classic RPG - easy fun and a catchy game tune. RE, Battle Arena Toshiden and maybe FF VII but the remake is coming (eventually maybe) so meh...

Basically its not a real itch i need to scratch at all...
They’ll pry drop even cheaper. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hit $30 at some point.

I heard the library had licensing problems. Nintendo owns most of the games from their classics, they only have to pay to use Capcom or Square or whoever's games. Sony owns none of the popular Playstation games (I think) and every one of those companies probably wanted a kickass deal after seeing the Nintendo classics. Which makes sense but if you can't get the right games why do it at all. Or why, other than money.

I heard the library had licensing problems. Nintendo owns most of the games from their classics, they only have to pay to use Capcom or Square or whoever's games. Sony owns none of the popular Playstation games (I think) and every one of those companies probably wanted a kickass deal after seeing the Nintendo classics. Which makes sense but if you can't get the right games why do it at all. Or why, other than money.

I don't think the library is all that bad TBH. I think ultimately what hurt it, other than the reports of how cheap and shoddily put together it was, was the fact that the games simply aren't hard to find, and people have been playing them off of emulators and the PSN for years. Why spend $100+ on a separate system to play these games that you can grab for $5 or $10 a piece on PSN?

Playstation also doesn't carry the same nostalgic weight as Nintendo, and has been sure to allow you to play all or most of it's games on each new system, whether it was BC or digital. I mean, you can still play PS1 discs on a PS3. If you have these games in one form or another, there is really no incentive to pick up the PSC. These arguments could be made for Nintendo as well, with the VC letting you download classics, but I think Nintendo platforms have a more unique feel about them, and I don't think people have kept up with the old library of games, as much as people have with the Playstation, because online and digital content for Nintendo has been kind of shit and has never been a focal point of their consoles. I think the VC is more of an afterthought for Nintendo console owners. The PSN on the other hand, seems more like a staple of the Playstation experience, where people have routinely re-upped their classic library while browsing around for other games.

I don't think the library is all that bad TBH. I think ultimately what hurt it, other than the reports of how cheap and shoddily put together it was, was the fact that the games simply aren't hard to find, and people have been playing them off of emulators and the PSN for years. Why spend $100+ on a separate system to play these games that you can grab for $5 or $10 a piece on PSN?

Playstation also doesn't carry the same nostalgic weight as Nintendo, and has been sure to allow you to play all or most of it's games on each new system, whether it was BC or digital. I mean, you can still play PS1 discs on a PS3. If you have these games in one form or another, there is really no incentive to pick up the PSC. These arguments could be made for Nintendo as well, with the VC letting you download classics, but I think Nintendo platforms have a more unique feel about them, and I don't think people have kept up with the old library of games, as much as people have with the Playstation, because online and digital content for Nintendo has been kind of shit and has never been a focal point of their consoles. I think the VC is more of an afterthought for Nintendo console owners. The PSN on the other hand, seems more like a staple of the Playstation experience, where people have routinely re-upped their classic library while browsing around for other games.

PS3 is emulation of PS1 as far as I'm aware even if you have the original disc

To get the real deal you would need a PS2 or PS1

Even then some PS1 games still only work on PS1

So I think getting a PS1 still has some incentive depending on what the person is looking for

I know you were pretty much talking about the classic but I thought I would still give my thoughts on it

Last edited:
I dont understand why people buy these things. Build a rasperry pi/retro pi for less than 150 bucks.
I literally have every NES, SNES, SEGA, N64 , Playstation, gameboy,gamegear game ever made. Probably a few more im not thinking of also.

20 games!? Wow.
How do the ps1 games run on it? I've tried emulating games on my PC but every game I've ever tried had either audio issues(like slight static or popping) or visual bugs/slowdown.

Back