Sony Turned Down Offer to Buy All the Marvel Characters for Only $25 Million

I wish I could find an article on it which I've tried a few times over the years. I remember sometime back in the early 2000s it was either Joe Quesada or Bill Jemas was talking up the value of Marvel's library, something along the lines that they were equal to/rivaling that of Disney's. At the time even people into comic's thought that was wishful thinking and extremely off. Interesting looking back.

Sony probably would not have been successful in monetizing it like Disney did.

Dummies. Now all marvel has to do is go to universal and buy back Hulk and hit up Sony and buy back all Spider Man, Venom, etc.

Reminds me of Fox letting George Lucas keep merchandising rights for Star Wars.

Dummies. Now all marvel has to do is go to universal and buy back Hulk and hit up Sony and buy back all Spider Man, Venom, etc.
They already own Hulk. That's why he's in the MCU.

Is it me or does Spiderman 3.0 look completely CGI?
I can't even watch Spiderman Homecoming because his new costume looks stupidly cartoonish and out of place on screen.

When I watched Captain America: Civil War, Spiderman looked penciled in like he came out of a Roger Rabbit movie.

I have the same problem with some movies. The entirety of Justice league looks awful. Certain segments of Spiderman look really bad (the rooftop conversation with Iron man especially, like they're not even shooting two of them at once) but Justice league is miles and miles worse.

I don't like having all those properties under one Mouse but Sorny would have fucked it up

Sony Turned Down Offer to Buy All the Marvel Characters for Only $25 Million in 1998

PcuDtxx.jpg

Disney has managed to assemble most of the Marvel characters under one roof, but it turns out Sony had the chance to do it first. That's right, the studio behind the Spider-Man franchise could have had way more than just the webhead (via The Wall Street Journal).

It all started back in 1998 when Sony was attempting to secure the film rights to Spider-Man from Marvel. At the time Marvel was far from the goliath it is now in the film world and had just started making film deals. They were also right out of bankruptcy, and that resulted in a huge offering of IP.

Sony Pictures executive Yair Landau met with Marvel about the rights to Spider-Man. They already had the DVD rights but wanted the full film rights. New Marvel chief Ike Perlmutter made him a surprising counter offer, where Sony would not only take Spider-Man but also pretty much every other Marvel character, including Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and Black Panther. That deal would cost Sony $25 million...and they balked.

After Landau took the offer back to his bosses at Sony, they quickly shot it down. “Nobody gives a shit about any of the other Marvel characters," Landau recalled. "Go back and do a deal for only Spider-Man.”

So they did, and a deal was made. Marvel sold Spider-Man to Sony for $10 million, plus 5% of any movies' gross revenue and half the revenue from consumer products. Marvel was a bit desperate for cash at the time, so that might have seemed like a win on their part, but Perlmutter's business partner Avi Arad didn't think so, calling the deal "pitiful". Those first few films would be quite profitable for Sony, but eventually, the franchise lost its way a bit, resulting in a deal much later that allowed Marvel to produce the franchise, which brought fans Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Now, there was no way for Sony to know that characters like Iron Man, Captain America, and the Hulk would such massive draws, especially at the time. Still, that must sting a little, especially looking at what Marvel Studios has been able to build in the years since.

Sony Once Turned Down The Opportunity To Buy Movie Rights To All Marvel Characters For Only $25 Million

Thank god it didnt happen. Kevin Feige is clearly passionate for marvel. But at best knows how to bring a superhero on screen.

He created a cinematic world for the super heroes while other studios just want to milk out mainstream superhero

Disney will own X-Men and fantastic 4 from fox acquisition. Spider-man is only borrowed from sony. And I think hulk is also borrowed from columbia pictures...
Universal Pictures has the distribution rights to a Hulk solo movie. But Marvel Studios owns Hulk and as long as it's not for a solo movie, they can put Hulk in any MCU movie.

But that does NOT mean that Sony OWNS the Spider-Man film rights. MARVEL OWNS the Spider-Man film rights. Sony's just LEASING them FROM Marvel. If Sony were to decide in the morning to completely give up on Spider-Man, they couldn't just sell him off to the highest bidder. They don't have that option because they do not OWN Spider-Man. Marvel does. If Sony gives up on him, then he MUST go COMPLETELY back to Marvel. No other option.
Sony has the exclusive movie rights (with conditions) to Spider-Man. So when people say Sony owns the Spider-Man movie rights, don't take it so literal. Otherwise, you are just making it more confusing to other people.

Sony has the exclusive movie rights (with conditions) to Spider-Man. So when people say Sony owns the Spider-Man movie rights, don't take it so literal. Otherwise, you are just making it more confusing to other people.
I'm just stating the facts. I don't see how that can possibly be confusing. It confuses me when people aren't EXACT in their use of language. Own means own.

Jesus the people took over Camerons Terminator universe really screwed the pooch.

How the fuck is it worth less than Jurassic Park?

You can't write a follow up to Jurassic Park that isn't shit, it's literally impossible. Someone builds a park (or an abandoned island) with dinosaurs take some people there, dinosaurs fuck shit up.

That's all four movies right there.

I'm just stating the facts. I don't see how that can possibly be confusing. It confuses me when people aren't EXACT in their use of language. Own means own.
It's up to you. Just an advice. I don't want you to have another meltdown again and self-delete all your posts and start over again.

Universal Pictures has the distribution rights to a Hulk solo movie. But Marvel Studios owns Hulk and as long as it's not for a solo movie, they can put Hulk in any MCU movie.
Now you're the one confusing people. If Marvel can't put Hulk in a solo movie, how do you explain The Incredible Hulk? That movie was made by Marvel and distributed by Universal. Then Disney bought Marvel about a year later, and because Disney's so powerful and perfectly capable of distributing any other movie themselves, they don't like the fact that they would have to go to Universal because Universal has the right of first refusal on distribution of a Hulk solo movie. That's the reason we haven't gotten another one. Because Disney's being petty.

Now you're the one confusing people. If Marvel can't put Hulk in a solo movie, how do you explain The Incredible Hulk?
I didn't say they can't, I just said they can (if they want to) put him in any MCU movie.

I didn't say they can't, I just said they can (if they want to) put him in any MCU movie.
I don't think you're reading what you're saying, either in that post or in this one. You said Marvel CAN put Hulk in any MCU movie, as long as it's NOT for a solo movie. How is that NOT saying that they canNOT put him in a solo movie? I'm just quoting your post as you worded it. Read your own words.

Back