Sony Turned Down Offer to Buy All the Marvel Characters for Only $25 Million

I don't think you're reading what you're saying, either in that post or in this one. You said Marvel CAN put Hulk in any MCU movie, as long as it's NOT for a solo movie. How is that NOT saying that they canNOT put him in a solo movie? I'm just quoting your post as you worded it. Read your own words.
I see you haven't really changed, Mantis. I won't argue with you anymore.

After Landau took the offer back to his bosses at Sony, they quickly shot it down. “Nobody gives a shit about any of the other Marvel characters," Landau recalled. "Go back and do a deal for only Spider-Man.”

giphy.gif

Total age mindfuck....

In 98 I was a junior/senior in HS. My movie money was spent on: movies to take chicks to so I could get some, Titanic was good for that.

2018...movies to take my kids to.

I'm just stating the facts. I don't see how that can possibly be confusing. It confuses me when people aren't EXACT in their use of language. Own means own.

Sony own film rights to Spiderman. They do not own the character, they own the rights to reproduce him in motion picture format. That is what owning film rights means.

If you want to be accurate. Sony are leasing the rights to Marvel.

Last edited:
They wouldn't have done Sony any good anyway. They wouldn't have been able to do what the MCU has done.

Sony own film rights to Spiderman. They do not own the character, they own the rights to reproduce him in motion picture format. That is what owning film rights means.

If you want to be accurate. Sony are leasing the rights to Marvel.
You obviously didn't read the following post,

But that does NOT mean that Sony OWNS the Spider-Man film rights. MARVEL OWNS the Spider-Man film rights. Sony's just LEASING them FROM Marvel. If Sony were to decide in the morning to completely give up on Spider-Man, they couldn't just sell him off to the highest bidder. They don't have that option because they do not OWN Spider-Man. Marvel does. If Sony gives up on him, then he MUST go COMPLETELY back to Marvel. No other option.
in which I already said they were just leasing them. Again, that's not the same as owning them. If Sony owned the film rights to Spider-Man, then they could sell them to anyone they chose. That's what owning something means. It belongs exclusively to you and no one else. Therefore, you can do whatever you want with it. Sony can't. If they were to decide to sell the film rights to Spider-Man, they would HAVE to sell them back to Marvel. If I own a house, I'm under no obligation to sell it to one and only one particular buyer. Sony does bear that obligation to Marvel. Therefore, they do not OWN the film rights to Spider-Man.

You obviously didn't read the following post,

in which I already said they were just leasing them. Again, that's not the same as owning them. If Sony owned the film rights to Spider-Man, then they could sell them to anyone they chose. That's what owning something means. It belongs exclusively to you and no one else. Therefore, you can do whatever you want with it. Sony can't. If they were to decide to sell the film rights to Spider-Man, they would HAVE to sell them back to Marvel. If I own a house, I'm under no obligation to sell it to one and only one particular buyer. Sony does bear that obligation to Marvel. Therefore, they do not OWN the film rights to Spider-Man.

Except you're wrong. Sony are not leasing the rights. They own the rights. Sony are leasing the rights to Marvel, not from Marvel.

Owning the rights is a defined term
You can argue the definition of the word owning all you want. It's irrelevant. Sony own the rights, and will own the rights until they either choose to sell them or fail to meet their contractual obligations.

And unless you've read the contact, which you haven't, you have no idea what the stipulations are regarding who the rights can or cannot be sold to.

im glad about this because sony animated movies sucks like fox stuff.

Sony would've failed since they wouldn't have put Kevin Drive in charge.

Personally I wont watch another origin story. Im sick of them...To keep redoing, rebooting, origin stories of characters that have been around longer than we have is lazy film making. Just give us great stories and we will go. I wont even watch Spiderman anymore unless its a new story.

Imagine if every Bond film started with his origin.

It's surprising how big the whole superhero film thing has become. I don't really get it. Some of them are good, but most of them are just dumb and boring fantasy-themed action movies. I feel like the more movies you watch, the more you get to recognize what masterful storytelling is, and then the generic action movies just don't do it for you anymore like they did when you were 13. Like once you've been drinking the good stuff, you don't want to go back to the batch of bad wine anymore.

It's surprising how big the whole superhero film thing has become. I don't really get it. Some of them are good, but most of them are just dumb and boring fantasy-themed action movies. I feel like the more movies you watch, the more you get to recognize what masterful storytelling is, and then the generic action movies just don't do it for you anymore like they did when you were 13. Like once you've been drinking the good stuff, you don't want to go back to the batch of bad wine anymore.

The thing is as more and more of these are made there are going great ones as well as bad ones
Just look at comics it the same with them people are going to have to expect that.

It's the same as any other genre of film.

To be fair Sony trying to use the same characters would probably have crashed and burned anyway.

Not as bad as Blockbuster passing on an opportunity to purchase Netflix (which would then go on to put them out of business).

If it was in the Mid 2000s that would have been a major blow, but in 1998 like you said we were still a decade away before the Marvel characters started to blow up. Though I wonder how things would have ended up had Sony purchased them.

I actually worked for a company that was in negotiations with Blockbuster to develop a streaming service much like how Netflix is now... they ended up backing out of the deal at last minute.

I'm not sure Marvel have yet made an action film on the level of something like Raiders of the Lost Ark yet I do think they've clearly upped there game over the last five years or so. I remember back in 2012 thinking the whole superhero craze was rather faddish, the original Ironman was fun but besides that and maybe the first Thor it was pretty slim pickings until the first Avengers. Since then though I think they've moved away from that standard superhero formula left over from Singers X-men and introduced a good deal more originality, the Russo's more serious Cap films, the Guardians and recent Thor's flash Gordon like space adventures, etc.

I think perhaps the #1 thing in Marvel's favour though is how strong there casting has been, they've actually hired quality actors for most of their major roles were as you know Sony would have done something like cast Taylor Lautner as Captain America.

Back