Sorry Stream Team, But Televised Boxing Is Alive And Well

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
“So one fighter moves from HBO to a streaming service and that means boxing on both premium TV and PPV are over?” Stephen Espinoza, President of Showtime Sports, wrote on Twitter. “Okay, whatever. Keep believing what those press releases say. Meanwhile, we’ve been streaming all our fights (and series) since 2015, well before anyone else was doing that.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/10/18...ing-not-dead-so-shut-up-go-read-press-release

“So one fighter moves from HBO to a streaming service and that means boxing on both premium TV and PPV are over?” Stephen Espinoza, President of Showtime Sports, wrote on Twitter. “Okay, whatever. Keep believing what those press releases say. Meanwhile, we’ve been streaming all our fights (and series) since 2015, well before anyone else was doing that.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/10/18...ing-not-dead-so-shut-up-go-read-press-release

Espinoza sounds insecure, and I’m willing to bet he doesn’t fathom what goes on in Oscar and Bhop’s head with relation to Al Haymon and why Showtime isn’t for them. Espinoza just thinks as a company man having to justify to his execs for its Boxing budget...

Showtime has never had a Multi platform app like DAZN whom are the leaders in optimized streaming to come. Espinoza doesn’t even know how to contextualize “On Demand.”

Espinoza thinks “streaming” as in all blokes sit in front of a computer to watch sports or via Smart TV App panel? DAZN’s infrastructure will be more powerful and comprehensive than any other sports app, and more niche boxing content than ESPN.

I just want an app on my phone, simple, basic, powerful, all Matchroom fights package as well as other MMA along with GBP doing their schedule. DAZN is good for boxing. Eddie and Europe just a step ahead.

Haymon needs to act fast before his fighters want out... This is why Espinoza a bit shook.

In reality, PBC also on DAZN is good for boxing. UK and anti American boxing fans think other promoters would have to comply with Matchroom... that’s not the case at all.

Showtime helped build Joshua...

More money will be pumped into boxing over the next few years due to all of these new deals then perhaps ever before. Definitely much more then during the golden era of HBO boxing.

That's one reason why I always liked Showtime. They've been on top of streaming for a while. I feel like Espinoza might have the date wrong, I think they had streaming as early as 2014. Seems like they've had it for awhile, anyway.

Back