Sound setup for PC Gaming (Mostly Online FPS)

DespicablePeep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I´m back to playing FPS games, I have always used a pair of cheap speakers on my desk and always had good experience spotting players through sound but back then most games had a chat box and very few people used voice comm and the few times I tried a Headset player noise seemed to come from everywhere almost impossible to spot players, don´t know if it was down to a poor quality HS or the fact I was not used to Headsets.

I want to use voice comm but I hate bulky headsets any suggestion? Do any of you use speakers with some separate mic?

I´m back to playing FPS games, I have always used a pair of cheap speakers on my desk and always had good experience spotting players through sound but back then most games had a chat box and very few people used voice comm and the few times I tried a Headset player noise seemed to come from everywhere almost impossible to spot players, don´t know if it was down to a poor quality HS or the fact I was not used to Headsets.

I want to use voice comm but I hate bulky headsets any suggestion? Do any of you use speakers with some separate mic?
The 2.0 and 2.1 desktop speaker setups like the one you mentioned you've used in the past are the most common, but if you're after directional accuracy, then you definitely want a true 7.1 sound setup, and not a headset.

You can add a headset with this strategy, but you will use it only for voice/Discord communication with teammates, and not environmental game sound. In this case you definitely want an "open-backed" headset if you go big with a circumaural pair of headphones (that go all the way around your ear) so the headset doesn't block out the sound coming from the speakers. I think many prefer the cheaper foam supra-aural headsets for this purpose, similar in design to the default headsets Microsoft or Sony sells for their consoles, because they're so easy to hear through. They're also cheap. Money goes to the speakers.

An alternative is to buy a desktop mic, but the better ones that don't pick up all the ambient sound tend to cost a bit more.

An actual, physical 7.1 setup still just crushes any headset in existence for this purpose. The pros would definitely use 7.1 if they didn't have an arena of cheering fans, so instead they must adapt to headset environments. Of course, with a 5.1 or 7.1 sound setup, you need to have physical space to put speaks to your sides and behind you, or you're not doing it the way the sound is intended to be heard.

I am a lifelong Klipsch fan, and recommend them. However, Logitech also makes some great speaker packages aimed at this market, and they tend to target more economical price points that are reachable for most of us. They have worked to maintain relevance with gamers by adding things like Bluetooth support where others often do not. Harman Kardon and Polk Audio are two other really strong American brands, and Yamaha is a still a leading Japanese competitor, here. Meanwhile, the Koreans (Samsung & LG) have gotten into the game, and are powerful new players in Home Theater; arguably the leading players, actually, I'm not sure, I haven't checked market figures. They bullied their way into this market as adroitly they did our kitchen appliance sector. In fact, Harman Kardon is now a subsidiary of Samsung.

I must say that I appreciate the guide built by these guys:
Top 13 Speakers for PC and Console Gaming of 2018

In addition, here are some relevant Amazon bestseller lists you can browse:
  1. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...ectronics/281056/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_3_9977442011
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...ctronics/12097481011/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_4_281056
  3. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...tronics/3025451/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_4_12097481011

If you do look at headsets I would consult with @nhbbear who has become our resident headset expert:
Gaming headsets

images

@ShinkanPo

Thank you MadMick for the thoughtful post, I don´t have the space for a 7.1 Setup it would either be a 2.1 Setup with a MIC or an open headset like you suggested.

Again thank you for the link will have a read on the nhbbear thread!

The 2.0 and 2.1 desktop speaker setups like the one you mentioned you've used in the past are the most common, but if you're after directional accuracy, then you definitely want a true 7.1 sound setup, and not a headset.

You can add a headset with this strategy, but you will use it only for voice/Discord communication with teammates, and not environmental game sound. In this case you definitely want an "open-backed" headset if you go big with a circumaural pair of headphones (that go all the way around your ear) so the headset doesn't block out the sound coming from the speakers. I think many prefer the cheaper foam supra-aural headsets for this purpose, similar in design to the default headsets Microsoft or Sony sells for their consoles, because they're so easy to hear through. They're also cheap. Money goes to the speakers.

An alternative is to buy a desktop mic, but the better ones that don't pick up all the ambient sound tend to cost a bit more.

An actual, physical 7.1 setup still just crushes any headset in existence for this purpose. The pros would definitely use 7.1 if they didn't have an arena of cheering fans, so instead they must adapt to headset environments. Of course, with a 5.1 or 7.1 sound setup, you need to have physical space to put speaks to your sides and behind you, or you're not doing it the way the sound is intended to be heard.

I am a lifelong Klipsch fan, and recommend them. However, Logitech also makes some great speaker packages aimed at this market, and they tend to target more economical price points that are reachable for most of us. They have worked to maintain relevance with gamers by adding things like Bluetooth support where others often do not. Harman Kardon and Polk Audio are two other really strong American brands, and Yamaha is a still a leading Japanese competitor, here. Meanwhile, the Koreans (Samsung & LG) have gotten into the game, and are powerful new players in Home Theater; arguably the leading players, actually, I'm not sure, I haven't checked market figures. They bullied their way into this market as adroitly they did our kitchen appliance sector. In fact, Harman Kardon is now a subsidiary of Samsung.

1. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...ectronics/281056/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_3_9977442011
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...ctronics/12097481011/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_4_281056
  3. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...tronics/3025451/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_4_12097481011

If you do look at headsets I would consult with @nhbbear who has become our resident headset expert:
Gaming headsets

Thank you MadMick for the thoughtful post, I don´t have the space for a 7.1 Setup it would either be a 2.1 Setup with a MIC or an open headset like you suggested.

Again thank you for the link will have a read on the nhbbear thread!
Yeah, I mean a 2.1 setup isn't gonna do you any favours in an FPS game. You either need a surround set up (with speakers behind you) or use a headset.

I'm planning a 5.1 setup (speakers on the ceiling and shit) but you need to have enough space for it. There's no inbetween. 2.1 for FPS is shit, because that's what my current speaker setup is.

Gaming headsets

Very well said.

I game on my home theater which is true 7.1 with the rear surrounds mounted in the ceiling. It was originally a 5.1 setup then I later added 2 towers at the sides of the room.

When it comes to 7.1, gaming is by far your best input source. I have like 50 blurays, many of them with native 7.1 but I almost feel like 5.1.2 Atmos (I configure my rear surrounds to height channels) is just as good if not better for movies.

But with games, you literally feel like you are in a sphere. Panning the camera pans the sounds basically 1 to 1. It's fuckin great.

I don't know if I agree with Madmick on true surround being that much better than headphones though. The one thing that is undoubtedly supreme though, is the goddamn subwoofer. I only have one sub, but it's the SVS SB-2000, and it's a motherfucking beast. It literally pressurizes the room. And because it's a sealed box, gun shots in-game are tight and explosive like real life. (ported boxes are louder in general but more loose and rumbly).

About Klipsch, I do think they are great speakers if you can get them as a set, but they aren't cheap. They have the entry enthusist grade locked down, like the GTX x70s. I personally have a frankenstein set, with some medicore sonys, to slightly above average pioneers, to great SVS, and my high end Bowers & Wilkins center channel.

Final thoughts. Go headphones. Why? Because it is affordable!

A decent entry level Klipsch 7.1 setup will run you $2500 easy
. A solid Klipsch setup is $3500-$5000. Bowers & Wilkins or Martin Logan? Forget about it. $10,000 easy.

Last edited:

Just use a headset.

Back