Southpaw/Orthodox Boxing Drills Request

Minowafanatic

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Does anyone have any good videos or descriptions of combinations etc to drill with fighters specifically for southpaw vs. orthodox matchups, with mitts or without, or just generally little things you guys like doing when facing someone in an opposite stance?

Hi peeps,

Does anyone have any good videos or descriptions of combinations etc to drill with fighters specifically for southpaw vs. orthodox matchups, with mitts or without, or just generally little things you guys like doing when facing someone in an opposite stance?

Circle away from their power hand, whichever it is. I don't have too much experience fighting southpaws, I've fought a few, but you have to realize that their power comes from the opposite side you'd expect if you're use to fighting against orthodox fighters while being orthodox.

You'll be thinking to yourself, "man their jab is strong as hell". It's not their jab, it's their cross lol. Thinking it's the jab may lull you into a false sense of security, because jabs are not thought of as power shots, so you may not feel threatened by eating a few in an exchange. However, don't make my mistake, and remember the power shot comes from a different direction. That "jab" will make you woozy after repeated exposure to it. lol

I'm orthodox, I'll jab another orthodox fighter and use the right hand against a southpaw. Here is an article that you may find informative:

(https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing...s/southpaw-guide-to-beating-orthodox-fighters)

Circle away from their power hand, whichever it is. I don't have too much experience fighting southpaws, I've fought a few, but you have to realize that their power comes from the opposite side you'd expect if you're use to fighting against orthodox fighters while being orthodox.

You'll be thinking to yourself, "man their jab is strong as hell". It's not their jab, it's their cross lol. Thinking it's the jab may lull you into a false sense of security, because jabs are not thought of as power shots, so you may not feel threatened by eating a few in an exchange. However, don't make my mistake, and remember the power shot comes from a different direction. That "jab" will make you woozy after repeated exposure to it. lol

I'm orthodox, I'll jab another orthodox fighter and use the right hand against a southpaw. Here is an article that you may find informative:

(https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing...s/southpaw-guide-to-beating-orthodox-fighters)
Ty, I think people make a bit much out of the importance of having that outside foot position like expertboxing does (in saying that it's the crucial position to hold). You can do good work taking an extreme inside angle rather than that outside angle and use that to get past the opponent's lead shoulder, like Ward was able to do vs. Dawson when landing his jab over and over on him.

Ty, I think people make a bit much out of the importance of having that outside foot position like expertboxing does (in saying that it's the crucial position to hold). You can do good work taking an extreme inside angle rather than that outside angle and use that to get past the opponent's lead shoulder, like Ward was able to do vs. Dawson when landing his jab over and over on him.

Yeah, it's multiple ways to get a job done. You can have inside position and right pivot into him taking away his power hand, and coming over the top with your right hand.

Ward is a gold medalist, and one of the greatest of the era. He arguably sees boxing in a whole different way than expertboxing does. lol

Those are basic strategies. Np.

Back