southpaw sparring orthodox thai boxers

ClinicalRabbit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
It'll be my second time sparring tonight, I've trained for a year. I'm the only southpaw in a gym of orthodox fighters. Any fellow south paws got any tips for me to spar effectively ?

Keep a good distance and your front foot on the outside of their front foot, from there do simple stuff as a 1-2, a outside low kick, or just a straight cross. Also keep you right hand out to manage the distance and ready to slap their left jab down and counter with a left cross. Just keep it simple and improvise when you get some rounds under you're belt ! - I'm a l southpaw too and those simple techniques always do the job for me. - Tell me if it works out for you

Don't be shy about throwing the cross. Be aware of your opponent trying to step to the outside of your lead foot. When he does, be ready with a check hook to keep him from taking an angle. Use your jab to freeze him while you step to the outside and bomb your cross down the middle. Use the hook to force him to move into your cross. Personally, and this is not universal advice but just something I love to do, paw with the jab to get him pawing back and at some point break the rhythm with a fast cross on the half beat, or slip to the outside of the jab on the half beat and throw a right uppercut under his extended arm (the James Toney, though he did it from orthodox). Contrary to popular belief you can move to your left, just be very aware of his right coming at you. But that inside angle can be a great place to land big shots since you have him totally square if you do it right.

If this is Thai boxing, be careful about slipping to the outside (your left) of his cross as you will eventually meet a head kick. Don't be shy about attacking the back leg with low kicks, but of course mix it up to the body and head as that left kick should really be your main weapon.

my brothers a southpaw and loves the 1-2, 1-2 1-overhand. i have sparred him for years and he still catches me with it. it gave other people nightmares.

I would like that video 1000x if it let me. New goal for sparring night tomorrow! :meow:

It'll be my second time sparring tonight, I've trained for a year. I'm the only southpaw in a gym of orthodox fighters. Any fellow south paws got any tips for me to spar effectively ?
Try to paw down the invetitable jab with your hand (either one) and throw a overhand/cross with the other hand while moving to your right side. Also you can inside kick there lead leg with a rear left roundhouse. Its a little slower but more powerful then a orthodox fighters inside leg kick.

Another vote for the left kick to everything...body especially. Even though I'm orthodox, sometimes I'll switch stances after a missed kick or something and hope my opponent doesn't notice so I can just blast a hard left kick from southpaw.

I would like that video 1000x if it let me. New goal for sparring night tomorrow! :meow:

I must have been gone for a real long time...when did @shincheckin get his own gif on here??? :meow:

Another vote for the left kick to everything...body especially. Even though I'm orthodox, sometimes I'll switch stances after a missed kick or something and hope my opponent doesn't notice so I can just blast a hard left kick from southpaw.

I must have been gone for a real long time...when did @shincheckin get his own gif on here??? :meow:

Lol

Im a south paw and my hands down favorite setup is the prince naseem cork screw upper cut to cross, i fake my left and throw a lead upper cut while hoping in and getting dominant foot position, then follow up with a left straight, its money man,

Here's a link to a breakdown

Back