Southpaws with Best (Right) Hooks?

BluntTrauma21

Broner Brodie / Pulev Posse
@Gold
Reaction score
We've recently mentioned Andy Lee around here, esp with the comeback ko thread up atm. In my experience as a boxing fan, I've noticed, on avg, that orthodox fighters tend to have much more devastating hooks than their left handed standing counterparts. This is, imo, due to several factors but I wont get into them, atm, b/c that's not the point of this thread.

The point of of this thread is to post names, gifs, hl's of southpaws with the most brutifal hooks we've come across in our time as boxing fans.

And with Andy Lee being the impetus for this thread, I present you with a few classic hooks from the recently retired, fan friendly, Kronk based, Irishman.

I hope you all will help participate in this thread from the soon to be Self Proclaimed Best Boxing Forum Poster 5 years running, your boy BluntTrauma21 aka Blunt aka BT.

Thank you for your future contributions. and you are welcome for my existence on this forum. I am legend, like Will Smith and like Andy's hook.

lee.gif

10ezgif.com-resize-2.gif

Lee.gif

Ppart of the problem is the hook is harder to land when it is orthodox vs south paw. In that clash, the lead hands are right next to each other and can block the hook quite readily, unless timed well, or the person has shit defense. On the other hand, the straight right or left goes down the middle, between the guard.

That is also why the hook is good in a south paw vs southpaw or ortho vs ortho match up, because the hook naturally goes in between the guard with that clash.

Ppart of the problem is the hook is harder to land when it is orthodox vs south paw. In that clash, the lead hands are right next to each other and can block the hook quite readily, unless timed well, or the person has shit defense. On the other hand, the straight right or left goes down the middle, between the guard.

That is also why the hook is good in a south paw vs southpaw or ortho vs ortho match up, because the hook naturally goes in between the guard with that clash.
Exactly. Well said.

Also I have no stats to back this up, but it definitely seems that many more natural lefties are prone to fight orthodox than right handers are to turn southpaw. There seems to be exponentially more natural left handers that fight ortho than righties who fight south paw.

And forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me that in a place like Mexico, if you are left handed then sometimes you're almost encouraged to fight orthodox considering the classic hook to the liver that Mexicans are known for. If you're a lefty then why not turn ortho and make your hook even stronger against other right handers..

Then again maybe I'm full of shit, idk, haha.....

Also I have no stats to back this up, but it definitely seems that many more natural lefties are prone to fight orthodox than right handers are to turn southpaw. There seems to be exponentially more natural left handers that fight ortho than righties who fight south paw.

And forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me that in a place like Mexico, if you are left handed then sometimes you're almost encouraged to fight orthodox considering the classic hook to the liver that Mexicans are known for. If you're a lefty then why not turn ortho and make your hook even stronger against other right handers..

Then again maybe I'm full of shit, idk, haha.....
I saw a video once talking about how there's been a trend in the Americas in boxing in the last 20/30 years for orthodox fighters to become more lead-foot heavy compared to the past, setting up their left hook, which meant more left-handed fighters going orthodox as well and adopting that style to capitalize on that lead hand dominance. I think guys like Oscar De La Hoya and Miguel Cotto were used as examples of modern fighters, in contrast with earlier fighters who tended to be more rear-foot heavy or balanced, though I think (not sure) that Cotto is a natural leftie and not De La Hoya. Not sure how accurate the video was though as I just don't know enough about earlier boxing styles and how they developed to make a judgement.

Donaire could drop a mean right hook when he was switch hitting.

Spadafora had a good one even if he wasn't a puncher. For all of his flaws, Victor Ortiz had a pretty good right hook. Pacquiao developed a decent one as he matured. SSR likely has the best one in boxing at the moment.

Last edited:
Spadafora had a good one even if he wasn't a puncher. For all of his flaws, Victor Ortiz had a pretty good right hook. Pacquiao developed a decent one as he matured. SSR likely has the best one in boxing at the moment.
Good shouts.

Roy is a natural lefty...:D

1355446594_297886_o.gif
Is he really? That dude was a natural at everything in the ring, man. I wish they had a stat that told us what each fighter's natural strong hand is, that would be cool, imo.

I saw a video once talking about how there's been a trend in the Americas in boxing in the last 20/30 years for orthodox fighters to become more lead-foot heavy compared to the past, setting up their left hook, which meant more left-handed fighters going orthodox as well and adopting that style to capitalize on that lead hand dominance. I think guys like Oscar De La Hoya and Miguel Cotto were used as examples of modern fighters, in contrast with earlier fighters who tended to be more rear-foot heavy or balanced, though I think (not sure) that Cotto is a natural leftie and not De La Hoya. Not sure how accurate the video was though as I just don't know enough about earlier boxing styles and how they developed to make a judgement.
That's really interesting and makes a lot of sense. Cotto is indeed a natural lefty, too. I always figured Oscar was as well but that was just based on how great it was.

thats not true at all
the southpaw hook is one of the most commonly used counters to orthodox right hands
and is also used as a deceptive lead hook when mixed with straight jabs

Back