Southwest plane engine blew and plane depressurized

Just want to drop in and say I love Disney and especially the cruises. It’s a beautiful experience to live that through a kids eyes

Not snobby. But it is weird to hear someone say that they don't know how much something that is free costs. You've been to Disneyworld 10 times and never realized you weren't paying for Fast Passes?

Most babies I've seen are wearing diapers. I've also never seen baby piss at Disneyland. I spend a lot of time in San Francsico though, so my tolerance for piss is pretty high.

Well my wife books the tickets. And again, Disney World man WORLD

That's big for Southwest. Along with cheap tickets, their relative safety compared to other airlines was a big selling factor. I think this is only their second fatality ever.
Was it a fatality? Thought they dragged her in

I flew United for my honeymoon shortly after the Asian doctor incident

Unfortunately I didn't get beat up and drug off the plane. Shame. The wife and I could have used a lawsuit to pay for our crippling student loan debt

If this was United, that unfortunate lady who got partially sucked out the window might not be pulled back in.

Was it a fatality? Thought they dragged her in

She was dangling outside for a long, long time. My guess is she's already suffocated by the time they managed to pull her back in.

Last edited:
Well my wife books the tickets. And again, Disney World man WORLD

When referencing you, I said WORLD. Then I said I had never seen piss at Disneyland. Sheesh.

Incidents like this should highlight just how rare accidents are in the US. An airliner is a metal and composite tube, traveling at 30-40,000 ft, at speeds aproaching 0.85 Mach (650 mph). The fact that there are so few fatalities from US air carriers is a testament to the training and professionalism of our maintenance folks, air traffic controllers, and especially pilots. You can even look at the safety rates of other countries like Russia or China and see a disparity with how safe our airlines are. It’s an amazing system that keeps tens of thousands of people safe while traveling every single day, and yet you still hear things like air crew being called “glorified bus drivers”. Great job by the pilots and ATC to keep things from becoming a complete catastrophe.
Yup, it’s one of those jobs that seems to require very little until something goes wrong and then things go from meh to what a hero, thank goodness for all that training PDQ.

Second uncontained engine failure they've had in 2 years.
Edit: I didn’t really intend to lump these 2 quotes together as though one follows from the other, but it worked out.
Been flying SW for work for just this side (that side?) often years.

Seeing the jet land in the river in NY whilein a security line shook me, I also realized that, in a cosmic sense, my chances of experiencing something similar just after is lower than before.

Flying home just now from Phoenix was no exception.

PS- I've been sleeps McGeeps and I realize this probably reads like a freakin' mad lib
I appreciate the “in the cosmic sense” part of what you said, but your probability of being involved in an incident like this is exactly the same. It just seems less likely because it’s a really unlikely event in the first place.

Last edited:
Yup, it’s one of those jobs that seems to require very little until something goes wrong and then things go from meh to what a hero, thank goodness for all that training PDQ.
I, personally, think pilots have started to do themselves a disservice by dismissing how dangerous flying can be if you don’t do it right. Anyone who’s talked to a pilot has heard them say “statistically, flying is safer than driving to work”. It’s a statement that, while true, comes from an era when people were terrified to fly because accidents were much more common. Now that mentality, that flying is just an inherently safe activity, has seeped into the public conscious and incidents like this become shocking, one in a million, events, rather than being seen as a possibility on every flight that’s only prevented due to due diligence with maintenence and training standards. My old man put it best when I started out by saying flying an airplane is like handling a rattle snake. If you stay on top of it, use your training, and keep your reflexes sharp you won’t have any problems at all. You can’t let up, though, even for a second, because it’s always looking to turn around and bite you.

Hero Alert: Tammie Jo Shultz
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nded-crippled-southwest-plane-was-one-n866951
Tammie Jo Shultz, one of the Navy's first female fighter pilots, was able to keep her composure after an engine on her 737 exploded in mid air. One passenger was tragically killed, but 148 other's lives were saved by Tammie's actions and quick thinking under pressure.

In addition to being one of the first female fighter pilots, she was THE first woman to fly an F/A-18 for the navy. She spent time training other fighter pilots as well before taking a job as a pilot for Southwest.

After the engine explosion, she wasted no time beginning a rapid descent maneuver. Tammie can be heard on the radio talking with ground control, calmly stating "“We have part of the aircraft missing, so we’re going to need to slow down a bit,” And later, “Could you have medical meet us there on the runway as well? We’ve got injured passengers.” She also went down the aisle after safely landing the damaged plane, checking on the passengers.

Thank God the person flying the plane was someone such as Tammie Shultz. What a badass

If there's an option, I'd gladly pay more for a flight that has a former jet fighter pilot like Sully or Tammie Jo at the helm :)

Great, flying Southwest to Disney on Saturday

Great for you or us?

Hero Alert: Tammie Jo Shultz
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nded-crippled-southwest-plane-was-one-n866951
Tammie Jo Shultz, one of the Navy's first female fighter pilots, was able to keep her composure after an engine on her 737 exploded in mid air. One passenger was tragically killed, but 148 other's lives were saved by Tammie's actions and quick thinking under pressure.

In addition to being one of the first female fighter pilots, she was THE first woman to fly an F/A-18 for the navy. She spent time training other fighter pilots as well before taking a job as a pilot for Southwest.

After the engine explosion, she wasted no time beginning a rapid descent maneuver. Tammie can be heard on the radio talking with ground control, calmly stating "“We have part of the aircraft missing, so we’re going to need to slow down a bit,” And later, “Could you have medical meet us there on the runway as well? We’ve got injured passengers.” She also went down the aisle after safely landing the damaged plane, checking on the passengers.

Thank God the person flying the plane was someone such as Tammie Shultz. What a badass

Thank goodness she wasn't on her period or it would have been a lot worse.

Edit: I didn’t really intend to lump these 2 quotes together as though one follows from the other, but it worked out.

I appreciate the “in the cosmic sense” part of what you said, but your probability of being involved in an incident like this is exactly the same. It just seems less likely because it’s a really unlikely event in the first place.
I hear that; like how 5 heads in a row doesn't change the odds for the next flip. Guess I'm just trying to irrationally reassure myself after an event like that.

"I'm sorry..Did you say someone flew out"

Amazing how much goes into an emergency landing.

Back