SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy successfully - biggest rocket since Saturn V

Not sure where you are getting your information. SLS launch status: No earlier than late 2019. Yeah, I can tell you are a big fan of SpaceX.

Earliest possible launch is late 2019 and it’s early 2018 right now. So best case, just under 2 years. I can tell you’re not A big fan of numbers

I can tell you’re not A big fan of numbers.

Getting ready to start a thread on your boy Musk and Tesla.

"Elon Musk’s immense self-regard has led him to believe his company can do things differently from the way other automakers do them. He has special insights and visions that afford him the luxury of shortcuts. But what seems to him a special vision and understanding seems a prodigious arrogance and ignorance. By far the most important subsidy has been the $7,500 U.S. federal tax credit. If the Tesla buyer could not make use of it, then the leasing company could."

"But for Tesla, the end is near. That credit will be slashed in half in Q4, and will disappear altogether in 2019. Meanwhile, Tesla's competitors will have lots more running room. Tesla Is Structurally Bankrupt. Even once it ramps up Model 3 production, Tesla still will be losing hundreds of millions each quarter. As CoverDrive has spelled out, the company is structurally bankrupt - which is to say it depends completely on continued capital infusions for its survival."

Not sure where you are getting your information. SLS launch status: No earlier than late 2019. Yeah, I can tell you are a big fan of SpaceX.

who cares whos a fan of what. As long as our space program gets the fuck back on its feet. If we got mining the moon and low earth asteroids, we'd be securing our country's future for sure

If we got mining the moon and low earth asteroids, we'd be securing our country's future for sure.

You sure love that mining the moon concept don't you? :)
How exactly would we bring the minerals back to Earth? And how much of it per trip? Asteroids would be even harder. Musk may be your man, but he wants to go to Mars. I would personally love to see a live SLS launch.

You sure love that mining the moon concept don't you? :)
How exactly would we bring the minerals back to Earth? And how much of it per trip? Asteroids would be even harder. Musk may be your man, but he wants to go to Mars. I would personally love to see a live SLS launch.

We already know how to do that, i mean if you read any of the space threads.....

again, the problem is assholes wont fund it...they are all money hungry fuck bags, well trillion asteroids are mine able

New article blasting Musk:

Shooting a Tesla into orbit: A slap in the face to real science
Musk could have used his wealth and fame to aid real space science. Instead, he sent up a monument to his huge ego

"This is basically the criticism a lot of scientists have" of the Tesla launch, said Jill Scudder, a physics professor at Oberlin College who publishes a science outreach blog called Astroquizzical. "Why not send a whole fleet of CubeSats [small cubical satellites] or something?"

Musk could have reached out to the scientific community to put something of scientific or educational value on the Falcon Heavy rocket, but didn’t. NASA confirmed as much in a comment to a GeekWire reporter. Or Musk and company could have sent a few kids' science experiments along in the passenger seat; they sent an advertisement for aunion-busting billionaire's car company instead.

There is another, more intriguing question swirling around SpaceX's launch, one that speaks to a deeper enmity towards science: Was the Tesla sterilized prior to launch? Spreading living organisms around the solar system unintentionally is a huge risk that every space agency on Earth attempts to avoid at all costs. Both Scudder and Jason Davis (writing in the Planetary Society's blog) have expressed concerns about this. "That worries me about the car," Scudder told Salon.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/12/why-sending-a-tesla-into-orbit-is-a-slap-in-the-face-to-science/

New article blasting Musk:

Shooting a Tesla into orbit: A slap in the face to real science
Musk could have used his wealth and fame to aid real space science. Instead, he sent up a monument to his huge ego

"This is basically the criticism a lot of scientists have" of the Tesla launch, said Jill Scudder, a physics professor at Oberlin College who publishes a science outreach blog called Astroquizzical. "Why not send a whole fleet of CubeSats [small cubical satellites] or something?"

Musk could have reached out to the scientific community to put something of scientific or educational value on the Falcon Heavy rocket, but didn’t. NASA confirmed as much in a comment to a GeekWire reporter. Or Musk and company could have sent a few kids' science experiments along in the passenger seat; they sent an advertisement for aunion-busting billionaire's car company instead.

There is another, more intriguing question swirling around SpaceX's launch, one that speaks to a deeper enmity towards science: Was the Tesla sterilized prior to launch? Spreading living organisms around the solar system unintentionally is a huge risk that every space agency on Earth attempts to avoid at all costs. Both Scudder and Jason Davis (writing in the Planetary Society's blog) have expressed concerns about this. "That worries me about the car," Scudder told Salon.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/12/why-sending-a-tesla-into-orbit-is-a-slap-in-the-face-to-science/

But its his money his rocket so his racket.

Upset people be like

who cares whos a fan of what. As long as our space program gets the fuck back on its feet. If we got mining the moon and low earth asteroids, we'd be securing our country's future for sure

What about the military for fuck's sake?! Expecting the DoD to get by on $685+ billion a year. Preposterous.

What about the military for fuck's sake?! Expecting the DoD to get by on $685+ billion a year. Preposterous.

Fuck, i forgot! We better increase that for another 100B, just to be secure

Fuck, i forgot! We better increase that for another 100B, just to be secure

It really is an appalling state of affairs, and I think it was you that was pretty livid when I posted how extensive the planned cuts for STEM were across every science-based department, agency and institute. The 2019 FY request has the Department of Defense being appropriated a budget that is more than 34 times the size of NASA.

But its his money his rocket so his racket.

No. NASA is helping fund SpaceX. But yeah, a car is space 'trash'. There are so many other things that could have gone up as rocket cargo. When Jeff Bezos sends up his next Blue Origin rocket, it will have the yellow rubber duck in orbit. Blue Origin has no funding from NASA.

The 2019 FY request has the Department of Defense being appropriated a budget that is more than 34 times the size of NASA.

Well, the Space Shuttle carried out a couple of classified launches for the U.S. military. I would expect some DoD money rolling into the NASA budget. Yeah, remember 1985: "Pentagon profligacy makes headlines with reports of $640 toilet seats, $660 ashtrays, $7,600 coffee-makers, and $74,000 ladders." NASA has to play smart.

It really is an appalling state of affairs, and I think it was you that was pretty livid when I posted how extensive the planned cuts for STEM were across every science-based department, agency and institute. The 2019 FY request has the Department of Defense being appropriated a budget that is more than 34 times the size of NASA.

lol did you see nasa budget request? it was 19.8B lol thats litterally nothing.

lol did you see nasa budget request? it was 19.8B lol thats litterally nothing.

Yeah, I tend to stay well on top of the funding for federal science as it pertains to NASA (Aeronatics & Space), NIH (Institutes of Health), NOAA (Oceans & Atmosphere), NIST (Standards of Technology), NSF (Science Foundation), USGS (Geological Survey) and DOE Science (Dept of Energy). These belong to and represent the American public to the world. Everyone knows NASA but the NIH is probably equally important and receives a larger sum as its the foremost biomedical research entity in the world.

The ~$20 billion budget of course has to be split between four major directorates within NASA: Science (which covers earth, planetary and astrophysics), Exploration & Operations (ISS funding and SLS development), Space Technology and Aeronautics. I've always felt space tech has been a criminally underfunded division as it often leads to products and processes that make their way into improving our everyday lives.

Yeah, I tend to stay well on top of the funding for federal science as it pertains to NASA (Aeronatics & Space), NIH (Institutes of Health), NOAA (Oceans & Atmosphere), NIST (Standards of Technology), NSF (Science Foundation), USGS (Geological Survey) and DOE Science (Dept of Energy). These belong to and represent the American public to the world. Everyone knows NASA but the NIH is probably equally important and receives a larger sum as its the foremost biomedical research entity in the world.

The ~$20 billion budget of course has to be split between four major directorates within NASA: Science (which covers earth, planetary and astrophysics), Exploration & Operations (ISS funding and SLS development), Space Technology and Aeronautics. I've always felt space tech has been a criminally underfunded division as it often leads to products and processes that make their way into improving our everyday lives.

i would have asked for a 40b budget or hell even a 60B. That would be more than enough to fund a lunar base and so on.

Moon mining...

"What may have added impetus to investor interest in Moon Express is President Trump's picks for the NASA transition team — Charles Miller and Chris Shank — and the leading candidate to become the next NASA administrator, GOP Rep. Jim Bridenstine. All support commercial space ventures and manned exploration — including lunar missions.

NASA's Resource Prospector Mission, a concept mission aiming for launch in 2018, would verify the feasibility of lunar resource extraction, as would several other mission concepts from the private sector, Abbud-Madrid said. Such work, in turn, will pave the way to incorporating In Situ Resource Utilization, known as ISRU, in future exploration planning.

To fully deploy the operation, you will first need to create and send the extracting robots that will convert lunar mass to “good” compressed industrial Helium-3 (or other minerals). You can contact 'Astrobotic' to delivery your stuff to the moon with the price of $1.3 millions per kg of up to 100 kg. You will probably need to send at least one manned mission, to set up everything on the spot. When everything is ready, you will send a rocket to the moon, the rocket will load stuff and fly back. You will also have an extensive operation on Earth to do: selling, marketing, research & development, equipment maintenance, on Earth storage facilities and distribution."

Story: https://www.space.com/28189-moon-mining-economic-feasibility.html

'Astrobotic' is actually pretty cool: https://www.astrobotic.com/
As of November 2015, the company partnered with German Aerospace Center Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR).

@GhostZ06, @V-2

Last edited:
i would have asked for a 40b budget or hell even a 60B. That would be more than enough to fund a lunar base and so on.

This chart is telling, particularly as a % of the budget.

bD7dr9f.png

... And that right there folks is the difference between carrying out manned missions to the moon (as well lifting entire space stations into orbit in a single launch) via the ultimate super-heavy lift launch vehicle Saturn V and not having manned missions to the moon or elsewhere beyond low earth orbit. No SRB's (solid rocket boosters) even necessary. @Phr3121 loves this shit, almost as much as talking about the development of the a-bomb. America used to go balls to the wall.

These are always worth reposting. :D

800px-Saturn_V_launches.jpg

This was very cool to see SpaceX invigorate space exploration and aerospace engineering. Hopefully Weyland-Yutani joins the race in the near future.

Back