Speaking of FPS and Doom 1/2

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Whats the best way to play these now?

I had them on my Xbox one with the download from 2016 game, and they used to work, they will not anymore for some dang reason.

They show in my library, when I select them they say check in store.

Go to store, shows downloaded.

It’s a constant loop and I can’t get them to work.

I downloaded the Doom pac on Windows Xbox on my PC. But it’s a mod it’s not doom 1 or 2 while fun it was short and I’m bored of it already.

I want to play through 1 and 2, and short of building an old computer and running Windows 95 and finding legit versions or digging my 32x out of the attic and praying it still works what are my current options??

How would you play doom 1/2 today?

Whats the best way to play these now?

I had them on my Xbox one with the download from 2016 game, and they used to work, they will not anymore for some dang reason.

They show in my library, when I select them they say check in store.

Go to store, shows downloaded.

It’s a constant loop and I can’t get them to work.

I downloaded the Doom pac on Windows Xbox on my PC. But it’s a mod it’s not doom 1 or 2 while fun it was short and I’m bored of it already.

I want to play through 1 and 2, and short of building an old computer and running Windows 95 and finding legit versions or digging my 32x out of the attic and praying it still works what are my current options??

How would you play doom 1/2 today?

I would think you could just buy them off Steam and they should run on your PC.

Alternatively you could look for a copy of the Doom 3 BFG edition that might work on your Xbone (I’m assuming the 360 version ought to be backwards compatible on Xbone).

I would think you could just buy them off Steam and they should run on your PC.

Alternatively you could look for a copy of the Doom 3 BFG edition that might work on your Xbone (I’m assuming the 360 version ought to be backwards compatible on Xbone).
I tried it also, does the same shit.

Check in store , store says downloaded. Revolving door issue no matter if I stick 2016 of bfg in

I’m pretty sure I tried that too??

I don’t think they have a 64 bit windows version of 1/2. All I found When I searched was the one I downloaded.

Have you tried the obvious like clearing your cache and reinstalling your games or checkkng for firmware and game updates?

I sometimes get that problem and get it sorted with a hard boot.

The best way to play Doom 1 and 2 nowadays is thru ports, there are many but I'd suggest either Brutal Doom (this modernizes the gameplay quite a bit, it has gore/glory kills/improved effects etc) or GZDoom for a more vanilla feeling. The ports are free to download but you still need the Doom 1/2 data files (they are named doom1.wad and doom2.wad) to play, if you have the original games on your computer all you need to do is to copy the doom 1/2 data file wads in your port folder, and then you drag said file onto the exe of the port and the game starts in the new engine.

Last edited:
The best way to play Doom 1 and 2 nowadays is thru ports, there are many but I'd suggest either Brutal Doom (this modernizes the gameplay quite a bit, it has gore/glory kills/improved effects etc) or GZDoom for a more vanilla feeling. The ports are free to download but you still need the Doom 1/2 data files (they are named doom1.wad and doom2.wad) to play, if you have the original games on your computer all you need to do is to copy the doom 1/2 data file wads in your port folder, and then you drag said file onto the exe of the port and the game starts in the new engine.
I no longer have any original doom files, they were all on my ancient 486 I threw out.

I never thought about taking any data off it for some reason.

I bought the old Dooms for like $4 for all of them on steam. I tried playing the first and it was so weird playing a fps where you can only look left or right

I no longer have any original doom files, they were all on my ancient 486 I threw out.
They're still included with the Steam and GOG versions.

And Publius is exactly right: source ports are the way to go nowadays. GZDoom and Zandronum are the two most popular. If you just want singleplayer stuff, GZDoom is the way to go. Zandronum is more multiplayer-focused.

They're still included with the Steam and GOG versions.

And Publius is exactly right: source ports are the way to go nowadays. GZDoom and Zandronum are the two most popular. If you just want singleplayer stuff, GZDoom is the way to go. Zandronum is more multiplayer-focused.
I want to play the originals not wads and stuff.

I’ll look on steam here in a bit , I didn’t see them when I found the doom pac I downloaded the other day.

Im going to start at doom 1 and play through them ALL in order

1/2/3/resurrection of evil /2016 etc

I checked out this thread because I was curious about that myself.

I'm not interested in playing vanilla Doom though, I'd like to try out Brutal Doom.

Back