speed bags a thing of the past?

those are double end bags you dingus.

Speed bags are fun and good for all the things listed, but as a trainer hearing that shit for hours a day is fucking annoying. Neither of the gyms I work at have them. If I opened one someday it won’t either. I’d be happy to put one up at home though
You mean you don't like the ka-dun, dun, dun, dun, dun x200?

The last place I was at, the headboard was cheap wood, and it broke after daily wear and tear.

You're reaching a little on this one.

The speedbag is good for rhythm, hand-eye, learning to relax and get lose, upper body endurance and keeping your hands up. I really like to use it as a way to get less stiff.

It doesn't improve power, doesn't necessarily increase speed, it doesn't effect tendon strength in any particular effective way, it doesn't necessary change fiber type characteristics more than various other drills, but one could argue that the continuous and aerobic nature of it improves endurance adaptions.

One more thing, stronger doesn't necessarily mean faster.

With that said, I never thought about the external and external rotation going on in the shoulder when you're hitting the speed bag. Not really any other exercises that does that. Even with the load being very light, that might improve rotator cuff health. That's very interesting.

An example of tendon and ligaments strengthening and loosening through repetitive exercise over time:

Tendon strength is different than muscular strength as the tendons store and release energy needed to move the muscles in slow, fast and powerful ways. This series of kung-fu movements will develop tendon strength in the arms, from fingers to triceps.

Its a loosening and strengthening affect that is desired as a result producing strong, fast reflex reactions, its a common exercise among many Chinese martial arts

Its the same thing Conor was doing in his media workout:

DizzyFlickeringChuckwalla-max-1mb.gif

img2.thejournal.gif

Sylvester Stallone is doing it properly here first at the elbow and then from the back of the ear forward working the entire shoulder, triceps, and lats area

3C2.gif

It is a thing!

Last edited:
An example of tendon and ligaments strengthening and loosening through repetitive exercise over time:

Tendon strength is different than muscular strength as the tendons store and release energy needed to move the muscles in slow, fast and powerful ways. This series of kung-fu movements will develop tendon strength in the arms, from fingers to triceps.

Its a loosening and strengthening affect that is desired as a result producing fast reflex reactions, its a common exercise among many Chinese martial arts

Its a the same thing Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd was doing in his media workout:

DizzyFlickeringChuckwalla-max-1mb.gif

img2.thejournal.gif

Sylvester Stallone is doing it properly here first at the elbow and then from the back of the ear forward working the entire shoulder, triceps, and lats area

3C2.gif

It is a thing!

What Conor was doing is more of a mobility/relaxation drill than anything. Tendons responds to load, volume and frequency much like muscles do. Swinging your arms around wont improve tendon strength more than resistance training or dedicated SSC training. I've read enough studies on tendon morphology and adaption to training, although not everything is known of course, there's a lot of research out there on it.

What Conor was doing is more of a mobility/relaxation drill than anything. Tendons responds to load, volume and frequency much like muscles do. Swinging your arms around wont improve tendon strength more than resistance training or dedicated SSC training. I've read enough studies on tendon morphology and adaption to training, although not everything is known of course, there's a lot of research out there on it.

Its what I was taught and practice in various Chinese Martial Arts!

On Muscle Fibers and how the body releases all the chemicals and energy for explosive force or power with exercises and weight loading training.

Last edited:
Another couple of videos I found without writing an entire thesis, as I am trying show you what is taught in various ways through Chinese Martial arts. Its also known as internal energies and Chi/Qi-gong................ we (the west) would know it as nerves, tendons, ligaments, tensions and relaxation and breathing exercises.

I'm no doctor I'm a P.T and Martial Artist and only sharing what i know on the subject.

There is another video by Shaolin monks demonstrating how they do it which is very informative, and if you know the strength and power of their training its very impressive.

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear Sano's response on the Qi gong method on strengthening the tendon. The exercise does look pretty cool, all I need is a kung fu outfit and grow out that crazy kung fu beard style like this guy.
kung+fu+beard.jpg

Tbh i think speed bags are a waste of time unless its something you can do at home for shoudler conditioning if you dont have a heavy bag when you are at the gym you need tomake the most of your time there there isnt any skill speed bag actually builds tbh only tools useful are heavy and double end bags

do you guys agree too?

good topic

I disagree with them being useless.

Are they useless, no.

Can you do without them, yes.

I think its still a good tool to have in a gym. It works all the things everyone has already mentioned, speed, timing, rhythm etc.

You definitely dont see them around anymore. which sucks. I had one at home as a kid and I had one at my first boxing gym. I think the reason you dont see them around anymore is simply for the noise factor, specifically in a more fitness based gym. You only see them in old school boxing gyms it seems anymore.

While we are the subject, Double end bags man, WTF!?!?! You hardly see these around anymore either. You see them much more than speed bugs, but you dont see them as often as you should. The double end bag is a very underutilized tool in the MT community. I dont think I can name a gym I have visited in the past 5 years that had a double end bag. I have both a double, and a double double end bag (peanut bag) at home. I think the peanut bag has helped me mix my punches up high/low

reason u dont see many double end bags is cause retards come in trying to show off hitting it as hard as they can thinking somehow that makes them loom good and they break them my gym went through 2 in a month once

Anyone who thinks a speed bag is useless just doesn't understand HOW to use them. There are things you can and should be doing that the other bags or mitts do NOT replicate well.

What Sinister said.

The speed bag is an awesome tool IMO. Most people don't use it properly. Hell i don't even know all of it. But just watch the Mayweather Jr video and just look at his body (how he moves it). Realize it's not just the hands but everything.. shoulder, body, legs... the works... Most casual boxers just rhythmically punch the speed bag without moving their bodies (shifting their weight) at all and then they wonder why their form is complete shit and they can't seem to get more power into their rear punch or hook or blah blah blah.

@Sinister and @SaiWa

Can you give more examples of different ways to work on the speed bag?

Last edited:
@Sinister and @SaiWa

Can you give more examples of different ways to work on the speed ball?

I am not an expert. Just someone who's trained and sparred in boxing. I've done group and private lessons and I've spent tons of time in here reading and absorbing knowledge from people like Sinister. My boxing knowledge is basic and general.

The one hint I will give you is I stress balance and shifting weights in EVERYTHING I do. Speed bag, double ended bag, shadow boxing, heavy bag, jump roping. Yes even jump roping has a purpose in terms of balance and shifting weights. You may focus and concentrate on certain skills/moves depending on the exercise but without balance and proper weight transfer it will be all for naught.

But I took a quick glance at your posting history and I am guessing you have an MT background and are heavily into sparring so you know everything I've just posted already. You probably have way more fighting experience than I do..

Btw... speed ball as in the exercise too with the tennis ball on a string? or did you mean speed bag?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer man. Meant speed bag, gona edit it...
I think I never saw a speedbag in any MT gym I've been. I had one at some point in my home gym, cause it came with the stand for the heavy bag. I liked to play with it, and felt it's a great work out for the shoulders, but other than that, I have no clue how to use it for other benefits...

I'm curious to hear Sano's response on the Qi gong method on strengthening the tendon. The exercise does look pretty cool, all I need is a kung fu outfit and grow out that crazy kung fu beard style like this guy.
kung+fu+beard.jpg
@FighterTwister

I don't have THAT much to say really. Some of the videos are interesting, others are mumbo jumbo. There's no doubt that full ROM high frequency and high volume training will enchance tendon strength even with low load. That's why you shouldn't necessarily scoff at oldschool training, especially when it comes to maximum contraction through isometrics and so on. However, on the other hand there's no evidence to show that moving your limbs around is superior to various other forms of strength training, especially in regards to tendon strength. On the contrary actually. Your best bet would be using various modalities, including high load and high velocity training. The body is a wonderful thing and adapts to so many different stressors.

LOL I was in a bunch of those Tenth Tiger mountain Kung Fooo type places as a kid and they're all basically like little cults to get 13yo 'Green Belts' to worship the instructor - 12th Dan Master Geney Bill Hickenbottoms. World class, almost divine knowledge of the Ancients given out not outta the High peaks of the Mandarin bamboo forest, not beneath the mighty Xi'an X'ing Waterfalls, but behind the Applebees next to the Dry Cleaners in the strip mall down by the river

@Sinister

Oh ok... so that's how it is... ok... I see. But that's on me, what did I expect from a Boxer?

On an irrelevant note, how I report a senior mod for been mean?

I am not an expert. Just someone who's trained and sparred in boxing. I've done group and private lessons and I've spent tons of time in here reading and absorbing knowledge from people like Sinister. My boxing knowledge is basic and general.

The one hint I will give you is I stress balance and shifting weights in EVERYTHING I do. Speed bag, double ended bag, shadow boxing, heavy bag, jump roping. Yes even jump roping has a purpose in terms of balance and shifting weights. You may focus and concentrate on certain skills/moves depending on the exercise but without balance and proper weight transfer it will be all for naught.

But I took a quick glance at your posting history and I am guessing you have an MT background and are heavily into sparring so you know everything I've just posted already. You probably have way more fighting experience than I do so not

Btw... speed ball as in the exercise too with the tennis ball on a string? or did you mean speed bag?

Just to follow this comment up, jumping rope is now almost as degraded as speed bag use. Difference is people still think jumping rope LOOKS cooler and serves a viable function. However, about as many people uselessly skip rope as who uselessly hit speed bags, doing tricks that don't translate onto fighting. They just don't feel as silly when doing it.

Now, what IS the point of skipping rope then if it's not cardio, the ability to move your feet quicker while on your toes, or rhythm? Well, it's a little word called proprioception, and the enhancement of it. If an athletic trainer doesn't know what this word is, or at least the definition of it without knowing the word itself...the concept, then they're not actually qualified to teach you how to jump rope

Back