Spinning Elbows

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
What are some tips you guys have on throwing these? Would the set ups be similar to the spinning back fist? Also do you prefer to throw them more vertical or horizontal?
download.jpg Lethwei_Elbow_m.jpg

I'm no spinning elbow expert, but I like to set up both spinning elbows and spinning back fists with a double jab thrown slightly to the right of my opponent's face (their left in orthodox vs orthodox) with the intention of getting them to slip the jab into the direction of the oncoming elbow.

On the second jab I step in and across with my lead foot to start the spin and as I'm stepping across I start turning my head to look over my shoulder at my target.

Throwing them horizontally always felt more natural and quicker for me than the more vertical method in your 2nd pic.

Last edited:
2 main types of spinning elbows:
-with full body rotation.
-only upper body roation.

With full body rotation you have:
-Attacking with the back elbow, 180 clockwise rotation from orthodox. Classic set up after a jab, front hook, switch kick...
-Attacking with the front elbow, counter clockwise rotation, usually after a missing high roundhouse.

For the elbow with only the upper body rotation, its more about a distance and timing opportunity than a set up with a strike. Enterin or exiting the clinch for exemple...

The range is very very tight. I know it sounds kinda obvious, but this wqs an issue for awhile.

I was taught from the ground up to get as much range into my starights as possible. Similar to being an archer. Well, it messed with my elbows for awhile because the range was tight like virgin snatch.

I did manage to get the range after a bit, but it's something to expect.

I would set up elbows depending on the opponent. If he's the type to react on my hook in a 1,2,3,kick combo, id fake the 3 and use that to spin.

Anyone pull off a jumping spinning superman elbow yet? Only prob is you might end up looking like an autistic retard. Highlight reel worthy though

2 main types of spinning elbows:
-with full body rotation.
-only upper body roation.

pros and cons to both please?

i have seen both, to me, spinning all the way through makes more sense to me as it seems it would give you more power and put you in a better position if you do miss although you generally see it taught spinning halfway through.

regarding spinning techniques, i never practiced them because i considered them flashy nonsense and wanted to focus on my fundamentals. This is good, but i wish i would have at least dabbled into spinning because once mastered, its an effective and powerful technique.

The range is very very tight. I know it sounds kinda obvious, but this wqs an issue for awhile.

I was taught from the ground up to get as much range into my starights as possible. Similar to being an archer. Well, it messed with my elbows for awhile because the range was tight like virgin snatch.

I did manage to get the range after a bit, but it's something to expect.

I would set up elbows depending on the opponent. If he's the type to react on my hook in a 1,2,3,kick combo, id fake the 3 and use that to spin.

Anyone pull off a jumping spinning superman elbow yet? Only prob is you might end up looking like an autistic retard. Highlight reel worthy though

Since itll be tight would you consider just banging to get inside
<JonesLaugh>

pros and cons to both please?

The way I see it:

Spinning through
-More power.
-If you feel you will miss, you can extend your arm and connect with a back fist.
-After a missed round-kick, its a great defensive tool if opponent rush in to take advantage of you turning your back. Even if you miss, he will be more careful.
-May not be able to fully rotate if opponent steps in, living you with your back facing him.
-Start from a further distance, so more time for him to see it, react, if not hided properly behind something.
-While you pivot, only one foot is grounded. If he goes for a low, you will go down.
-May over rotate if you miss... living you off balance, or bad position/stance.
-For the clockwise, if you connect, you will land on southpaw, doing a 180°. If you don't, you either have to stop in a southpaw stance, or add another 180 to go back to orthodox.
-For counterclockwise, you will have to do a 360°. The first 180 will be the missing kick, but still...its a big movement.
-If you connect, it may mess with you getting back to your stance. It may stop your rotation on a bad position.

Spinning halfway
-Less power.
-Needs a step to the outside of your opponent with your front leg, or it wont travel enough to hit/do damage. It's also needed for a better balance. But if your leg bumps into his front leg it may fak up the technique, and even make you trip...
-Harder (for me) to estimate if it will connect or not.
-You need to bent, which is always dangerous to meet a knee on its way up.
-Faster.
-Very sneaky, unpredictable, coming from a high angle. Usually you look at the head bending down, not seen the elbow coming from the other side and above.
-If you miss, you may need to rotate fully. You started for a halfway, but ended doing a full. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you must train your body to be able to shift it's balance.
-The more you bend your waist at the beginning of the rotation, the higher the angle it will come from.
-Thrown from a clinching distance... So most of advantage/disadvantages from clinching strikes applies here too...

That's what I got from the top of my head...May forgot some obvious ones, but if i remeber anything, i will come back to it.

PS:
You know the "unspoken" rules, but for the others reading... don't throw them in sparring, don't throw them in a match against a Thai...

Last edited:
The way I see it:

Spinning through
-More power.
-If you feel you will miss, you can extend your arm and connect with a back fist.
-After a missed round-kick, its a great defensive tool if opponent rush in to take advantage of you turning your back. Even if you miss, he will be more careful.
-May not be able to fully rotate if opponent steps in, living you with your back facing him.
-Start from a further distance, so more time for him to see it, react, if not hided properly behind something.
-While you pivot, only one foot is grounded. If he goes for a low, you will go down.
-May over rotate if you miss... living you off balance, or bad position/stance.
-For the clockwise, if you connect, you will land on southpaw, doing a 180°. If you don't, you either have to stop in a southpaw stance, or add another 180 to go back to orthodox.
-For counterclockwise, you will have to do a 360°. The first 180 will be the missing kick, but still...its a big movement.
-If you connect, it may mess with you getting back to your stance. It may stop your rotation on a bad position.

Spinning halfway
-Less power.
-Needs a step to the outside of your opponent with your front leg, or it wont travel enough to hit/do damage. It's also needed for a better balance. But if your leg bumps into his front leg it may fak up the technique, and even make you trip...
-Harder (for me) to estimate if it will connect or not.
-You need to bent, which is always dangerous to meet a knee on its way up.
-Faster.
-Very sneaky, unpredictable, coming from a high angle. Usually you look at the head bending down, not seen the elbow coming from the other side and above.
-If you miss, you may need to rotate fully. You started for a halfway, but ended doing a full. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you must train your body to be able to shift it's balance.
-The more you bend your waist at the beginning of the rotation, the higher the angle it will come from.
-Thrown from a clinching distance... So most of advantage/disadvantages from clinching strikes applies here too...

That's what I got from the top of my head...May forgot some obvious ones, but if i remeber anything, i will come back to it.

PS:
You know the "unspoken" rules, but for the others reading... don't throw them in sparring, don't throw them in a match against a Thai...

Is this really a rule? Even if my gym allows sparring with elbow pads i shouldnt? Or just spinning ones

Is this really a rule? Even if my gym allows sparring with elbow pads i shouldnt? Or just spinning ones
If you have elbow pads then do it. Worse case, let your partner know you're gonna throw elbows, most of the time its gonna be cool.

Important thing is not to have surprises, and always be on the same page. Like doggying it from behind and sticking it in the pooper by "accident" and saying it was so dark so you got confused and couldn't see. That doesn't fly anywhere. Not even with "pros"

Even with pads it stings. Was on the receiving end of elbow gnp once and sat up while it came in, it stung like a bitch and my was like a geyser.

One diff is pads help on not getting cut.

If you have elbow pads then do it. Worse case, let your partner know you're gonna throw elbows, most of the time its gonna be cool.

Important thing is not to have surprises, and always be on the same page. Like doggying it from behind and sticking it in the pooper by "accident" and saying it was so dark so you got confused and couldn't see. That doesn't fly anywhere. Not even with "pros"

Even with pads it stings. Was on the receiving end of elbow gnp once and sat up while it came in, it stung like a bitch and my was like a geyser.

One diff is pads help on not getting cut.

So basically (like the bedroom) you wanna keep an open line of communication and not just start banging from the get go with shit they wont expect. Think i got it

What is a "jumping spinning superman elbow"? I can't even imagine what it would look like.

it depends on how you spar and with who. however generally speaking, i spar with elbow pads, and throw them without the intent of connecting, if they do connect the padding is there.

There are other gyms/people that look at it like hey, you have elbow pads on.......throw them! I dont agree wit this though, a clean elbow even with pads still cuts.

I'm talking about spinning elbows.

Even regular ones, with pads on, can make damages, cuts etc. But if you don't throw them with attempt to hurt, just to make light contact, usually it's tolerated. But the spinning ones, you going to hurt your partner. The spin adds a lot of power. You cannot stop the momentum just in impact, you will go through with your movement. There is not such thing as a light spinning elbow...You cannot "hold back" on a spinning elbow. Plus, the rotation will make you loose sight of your target, making hard to see his reaction... Will it land clean, on his defense, or while he moves toward the strike.

Now, if you talk with your partner, telling them you need to train your spinning shit and he agrees, it's another thing. But even then, be careful...

What is a "jumping spinning superman elbow"? I can't even imagine what it would look like.
Dunno, just came up with it. They have a superman jab/straight, a superman uppercut, so why not anything else. It might look like something a figure skater might do

Back