Spiritual Successors or Blatant Ripoffs in music?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
There's a young band called Greta Van Fleet that obviously copied Led Zeppelin's sound.

Upon first listening, I was kind of mad. I thought "wow they just ripped off Zeppelin." Then as I listened more, I was like, "well, they're doing a pretty good job of ripping off Zeppelin, I'll give them that..."

Then after a little more, I really started to enjoy it.

And I started to think that maybe this is okay, maybe it's even awesome. Because there are so many beloved bands that break up or retire and the fans can never hear original creations from them again.

BUT if a copycat band were to pop up, and they sounded eerily similar to the original band, AND they wrote original songs.... Songs that were so good you could almost trick your brain into believing that the original band would've written this song if they were still together.... How is that a bad thing for fans?

I'm sure they won't get as much credit as the band who INVENTED the sound, nor should they. But if they are scratching a particular itch for millions of fans who felt like they were left out in the cold, I say more power to 'em.

As a die hard Guns 'n Roses fan, I think I'd be very happy to hear a band that rips off their sound, yet executes it extremely well AND writes pretty good, new, and original songs.... Simply because I know GNR won't do it.

Here's a sample of Greta Van Fleet, for those who haven't heard them.

So, Mayberry, what do you think? Would you become a fan of a band that blatantly copied Pink Floyd's sound? Or the Doors? Or Nirvana? Provided they did an excellent job and created new material?

rock n roll all sounds kind of similar and guys have been borrowing licks, riffs and style forever. Everyone has to start somewhere. Cool song btw man. I enjoyed it.

Admit it, your their roadie.

Oh damn, I heard a song from them a few months ago and loved it. I just remembered it now.

I wish someone would copy OLD Minus the Bear and OLD Incubus and OLD The Mars Volta

They're pretty good and I like them. Don't forget they're like 20 years old for the most part. It's a pretty good starting point and they can probably develop more of their own sound as they get older.

They're pretty good and I like them. Don't forget they're like 20 years old for the most part. It's a pretty good starting point and they can probably develop more of their own sound as they get older.
True. Pink Floyd sounded like wannabe Beatles in the early days and look how far they progressed in a different direction.

Ever heard of Dangerkids? Some of their stuff sounds VERY reminiscent of Linkin Park.

True. Pink Floyd sounded like wannabe Beatles in the early days and look how far they progressed in a different direction.

True... did you know there was a thread on them here like a month or two ago?

i always thought Mana straight copied sting/the police's sound and style

dani california from the red hot chili peppers copied tom pettys mary Jane's last dance.

i always thought Mana straight copied sting/the police's sound and style

dani california from the red hot chili peppers copied tom pettys mary Jane's last dance.

I don't know about DC from the RHC. When I listen, I don't hear Last Dance with Mary Jane. The tempo is completely different. Also, the chords aren't quite the same and the hammer on's on Last Dance make it different. The choruses are completely different.

I don't know about DC from the RHC. When I listen, I don't hear Last Dance with Mary Jane. The tempo is completely different. Also, the chords aren't quite the same and the hammer on's on Last Dance make it different. The choruses are completely different.
been trying the YouTube vid that played them side by side, can't find it. but now that i remember, i think it may have just been the beginning of the song. Sounds very similar to pettys

As long as a band is good, I don't mind them sounding similar to other great bands.

Coheed & Cambria always reminded me of Zeppelin.

And Lifehouse has a similar sound to Nirvana.

As long as a band is good, I don't mind them sounding similar to other great bands.

Coheed & Cambria always reminded me of Zeppelin.

And Lifehouse has a similar sound to Nirvana.

Lifehouse is similar to Nirvana?

I call Stray from the Path the newage Rage Against the Machine. Very anti-cop, anti-government, etc. Sounds almost exactly the same style wise, just sligtly heavier

If you somehow havent heard of RATM

I call Stray from the Path the newage Rage Against the Machine. Very anti-cop, anti-government, etc. Sounds almost exactly the same style wise, just sligtly heavier

If you somehow havent heard of RATM

meh. i hear the influence but they are not directly ripping the sound. There have been many bands try to imitate RATM and fail miserably.

meh. i hear the influence but they are not directly ripping the sound. There have been many bands try to imitate RATM and fail miserably.

I never claim they are ripping the sound completely, just influenced by it, a lot. To which they are. whether you like it or not holds no bearing with me.

Last edited:
Back