Split decisions should mean the champion retains the title.

Split decisions have nothing to do with the fight.

Split decisions are to do with bad judging.

I wouldn’t say split decision has to do with bad judging all the time, often its the result of really close rounds that can go either way. I mean you often see a 29-28 X2 and a 30-27 as the official scores (or the other way around) but no one calls foul and that’s usually the result of a close round. Move it into the category where the fighters clearly split the other rounds and that becomes the decisive round and people have a shit fit.

Look at MMA decisions, the MM/Henry fight is pretty much split in terms of who the media thought won the fight so I don’t think you can say its bad judging then when there was such a split there as well.

Obviously, the solution is just have 1 judge.

Split decisions solved! Judging fixed!

So much stupid in this thread.

split decisions shouldn't exist, they should be draws.

Shouldn't have a title change if the judges can't even make up their mind on who won. in order to be the champion you have to beat the champion

tenor.gif

Or close fights that are difficult to judge.

Just look at how much disagreement there is on MMA forums regarding fight decisions, and that's with a lot of time to think about it after the fact.

But even then, people are wrong.

There is a correct answer, based on the rules. It may be difficult to know for sure, but that is a judge's job. If they are getting different answers, they're inconsistent, so that is bad judging.

I wouldn’t say split decision has to do with bad judging all the time, often its the result of really close rounds that can go either way. I mean you often see a 29-28 X2 and a 30-27 as the official scores (or the other way around) but no one calls foul and that’s usually the result of a close round. Move it into the category where the fighters clearly split the other rounds and that becomes the decisive round and people have a shit fit.

Look at MMA decisions, the MM/Henry fight is pretty much split in terms of who the media thought won the fight so I don’t think you can say its bad judging then when there was such a split there as well.

The problem is that if you are getting different scores, either a judge didn't see something another did or they are scoring the same things differently.

Both are bad judging.

Of course the general public will have different ideas, they aren't qualified and they aren't meant to know what is what. That is the judges job.

Shouldn't have a title change if the judges can't even make up their mind on who won. in order to be the champion you have to beat the champion

You waited 8 years to post this? Seriously?

There is a reason there are 3 judges at cageside...

But even then, people are wrong.

There is a correct answer, based on the rules. It may be difficult to know for sure, but that is a judge's job. If they are getting different answers, they're inconsistent, so that is bad judging.

Any judging is subjective.

There are guidelines, but it's still subjective.

At present there isn't actually a "correct" answer, even with the guidelines.

Keep in mind the guidelines are fairly complex.

Split decisions in MMA are a grey area and can’t be compared to something like a 110-109 NBA score. To immediately discount this kind of idea is close minded and dumb. Judges in the nba don’t sit there and go “hm, I think they just scored. No way that one wasn’t a score”. You either make a basket or you don’t. In MMA split decisions are a coin flip and you have to acknowledge the difference. I don’t really have a solution, I guess if you’re fighting for a belt you should probably be fighting for a finish instead of a coin flip decision.

ive said this many times, but i feel compelled again-there should NEVER be a fucking split decision. ever. if it comes down to that, automatic extra round. splits should be removed entirely.
This!
Exactly what I am saying.

all fights should end in a finish. that said, Cejudo would have finished DJ in rds 2 and 4.

If no-one is a clear winner by the end of the scheduled rounds, then the fight should continue under Thunderdome rules.

Champion starts with the chainsaw if he's had at least 3 title defenses.

Back