Sport BJJ blackbelt vs strong untrained dude who can punch, in a fight with strikes. Who takes it?

TS is either some old-head from the 90's who hates the Gracies and jerks off to Ken Shamrock tapes, or he's trolling with a 16 year-old account. I'm not sure which is more sad.

Yeah I’d actually place money on a blue belt vs untrained fighter. Being able to take a punch means jack shit if you’re getting choked.

Yeah I’d actually place money on a blue belt vs untrained fighter. Being able to take a punch means jack shit if you’re getting choked.

You obviously havent boxed :) Being able to take a punch is a whole new technique of positioning - chest up, chin down, stable legs so the punch goes to the back muscles instead of the neck muscles. Not a single UFC fighter has that positioning for example. And most knock outs in MMA are pretty fucking lame with people running with their chins up and chests down looking forward to be touched and fall down (Aldo vs McGregor for example).

100% bjj blackbelt. the fight would play out like most of ronda's fights.

so.. uh.. BJJ with strikes? Yeah, this exists, we have Sambo and Pankration.

Black belt beats random fatty 10 times out of 10

You obviously havent boxed :) Being able to take a punch is a whole new technique of positioning - chest up, chin down, stable legs so the punch goes to the back muscles instead of the neck muscles. Not a single UFC fighter has that positioning for example. And most knock outs in MMA are pretty fucking lame with people running with their chins up and chests down looking forward to be touched and fall down (Aldo vs McGregor for example).
MMA fighters dont stand in a traditional boxing stance, because there is a threat of kicks and takedowns.
Also It's bold of you to sit behind your keyboard saying theyre all shit, but then again this is standard sherdog behavior.

Last edited:
The untrained dude will have a very small window wherein he can win the fight.

If the trained blackbelt manages to get through that stage and rallies himself, then the chances of the trained fighter winning will skyrocket. The blackbelt has probably faced instances where he had to improvise in situations out of his scope, this will give him the edge as the fight goes on despite his lack of striking experience (compared to a striker).

Yes, I have boxed. I’ve also competed in MMA. And that’s why I know boxing has as much in common with fighting as sport BJJ. There’s a reason you see guys stand the way they do in MMA. Stand in a boxing stance vs a good grappler and see how long you’ll stay standing.

MMA is not boxing, elite strikers get ktfo in mma by regular mma fighters, is. Not the same, take away the pillows and it’s a whole different thing..

MMA is not boxing, elite strikers get ktfo in mma by regular mma fighters, is. Not the same, take away the pillows and it’s a whole different thing..

True, and MMA is also not submission grappling. Elite grapplers get KTFO on the ground and in clinch by average mma fighters, and they also get tapped sometimes by average grapplers after getting stunned with strikes.
MMA is MMA

Yes, I have boxed. I’ve also competed in MMA. And that’s why I know boxing has as much in common with fighting as sport BJJ. There’s a reason you see guys stand the way they do in MMA. Stand in a boxing stance vs a good grappler and see how long you’ll stay standing.

Obviously you have not. There is nothing common with traditional boxing stance and chest, chin, back positioning. Traditional boxing stance is also pretty good for MMA. You wrestle with chest up too, at least my old man who has wrestled has tought me that way (I have wrestled too, but I was too young to remember 6-8 years old). You drive forward with chest up to most take downs.

I was not speaking about that at all tbh. I was not discussing elevation levels in a stance I was speaking about chest, chin, back positioning. There is a hand positioning, there is leg positioning, then there are elevations. Even in boxing staying low usually brings advantages, especially for taller fighters (not in MT due to clinch game and different rule set, where staying tall brings advantages). But that is really another topic. I was mainly speaking for a small chin, chest, back positioning.

You will have a hard time taking down untrained people if you are just grappling, that’s normal, cause your tds suck... but it is not very hard to fake a punch/kick clinch, body lock, trip...

Dunno taking down completely untrained people is often trivial because I often can just rag doll them because they are untrained and as such have 0 athleticism of any kind (so avoid any tie up and level change and bulldoze method destroys them) or they are physically unable to move their feet away to move from a low single.

Obviously you have not. There is nothing common with traditional boxing stance and chest, chin, back positioning. Traditional boxing stance is also pretty good for MMA. You wrestle with chest up too, at least my old man who has wrestled has tought me that way (I have wrestled too, but I was too young to remember 6-8 years old). You drive forward with chest up to most take downs.

I was not speaking about that at all tbh. I was not discussing elevation levels in a stance I was speaking about chest, chin, back positioning. There is a hand positioning, there is leg positioning, then there are elevations. Even in boxing staying low usually brings advantages, especially for taller fighters (not in MT due to clinch game and different rule set, where staying tall brings advantages). But that is really another topic. I was mainly speaking for a small chin, chest, back positioning.

I’m not even sure what the hell you’re arguing about anymore. The point I’m making is a grappler with 2ish years experience can take our a random guy that can take a punch and throw one and you’re trying to tell me I haven’t fought? Do you disagree that barring some giant size difference a two year grappler will hold a big advantage over someone that doesn’t compete in any combat sports?

Bjj guys know how to shoot a double or single. Anyone trained in Combat sports has a massive advantage in a street fight vs someone who doesn't.

Any average blue belt that is competent at takedowns beats an untrained guy in a 1v1 fight.

Literally just change levels and grab a leg. Untrained guy with magical punching ability will turn into a helpless victim.

I'm astonished by the self-doubt of modern day grapplers regarding taking down untrained opponents. I can only assume this is the Dunning Kreuger effect in action. Either that or people don't fight with their untrained friends for fun?

One of the benefits (detriments?) of training BJJ as a whitebelt teen during the golden age of BJJ vs. the World was that I fought with all my friends, neighbors, bagboys, and/or anyone who would agree to it, to demonstrate the resplendent beauty of BJJ. I had no knowledge of takedowns other than kind of squat, hug the legs, drive. It was, universally, effective on untrained individuals.

True, and MMA is also not submission grappling. Elite grapplers get KTFO on the ground and in clinch by average mma fighters, and they also get tapped sometimes by average grapplers after getting stunned with strikes.
MMA is MMA

I never said it was... an average grappler is not a regular joe Eithwr

Back