Sprints, what better: 5x400 metres or 5x800?

We use a lot this form of conditioning.
In case of high level atheltes we work on 2 times a week with this kind of routine (usually 5x400).
We have Jiu Jitsu and MMA fighters

Really running of quite shit for fighters. You're better off doing something like jumping jacks, burpees, farmers walks, et cetera for however long your rounds are instead of running then to death.

Cardio is pretty activity specific and you don't really run in fighting. You jump, lift, push, punch, throw.. things you should replicate in your cardio.

Really running of quite shit for fighters. You're better off doing something like jumping jacks, burpees, farmers walks, et cetera for however long your rounds are instead of running then to death.

Cardio is pretty activity specific and you don't really run in fighting. You jump, lift, push, punch, throw.. things you should replicate in your cardio.

You also move your body forward, back wards and to sides. So you are moving your body, guess what replicates moving the body... yep running. Boxers, wrestlers for over decades have been running.

Little reality check.

3x400 with 4min rest between. Nick (purple shirt) is a former Olympic runner. This is “sprint” pace.

I would suggest running 6 laps (1.5 miles) for time. At a moderate pace. 12-14 mins to complete would be a good starting point for new runners.

My best 1.5 time was 8 min 29 when ironically I spent 2 months doing lsd work in the 130-150bpm range...on a elliptical machine.
Prior to that probably 8 min 40ish when I was running here and there.

I think as long as you have a good output in whatever sport you do, reaching sub 6 min mile for 1.5 miles is achievable.

I would add I was probably 90ish kg at this point and about 26, so 2-3 years since I was at my fittest and consistently doing my fight training. Edit- and I think I was only doing a single run per week for some of that fighting period, where I would do squats in the am, train 2000-2200 and then get back and get a hard 3 miler in (I think 3, I didn't have GPS back then and just ran to kill my body off).

iv never heard of sprinting more than 100 m at most wtf? how is someone to sprint that far? the body will slowdow no matter good of shape you are lol it slows down even before the 100 mark

You also move your body forward, back wards and to sides. So you are moving your body, guess what replicates moving the body... yep running. Boxers, wrestlers for over decades have been running.

Running doesn't replicate the bouncing and setting of your feet for shit. Jumping rope is far more good at that. People have some lots of stupid things for long periods of time. Doesn't mean much. There are simply better options that are easier on your body.

Last edited:
Running doesn't replicate the bouncing and setting of your feet for shit. Jumping rope is far more receiveef at that. People have some lots of stupid things for long periods of time. Doesn't mean much. There are simply better options that are easier on your body.
I said this thread would go places, lo and behold its goin!

f4f.jpg

Running doesn't replicate the bouncing and setting of your feet for shit. Jumping rope is far more receiveef at that. People have some lots of stupid things for long periods of time. Doesn't mean much. There are simply better options that are easier on your body.

A strong base is a strong base.

I would suggest more time doing any CV work that is relatable to your chosen sport is better then none/a different CV (eg elliptical machine over running over skipping).

That said they are all tools to be used in their own way. Nothing wrong with the tool, just wrong application for what you are trying to achieve.

I said this thread would go places, lo and behold its goin!

f4f.jpg

Something has been acting really crazy with my Google keyboard lately. It's been making crazy changes to words for no reason and is incredibly glitchy. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Running doesn't replicate the bouncing and setting of your feet for shit. Jumping rope is far more good at that. People have some lots of stupid things for long periods of time. Doesn't mean much. There are simply better options that are easier on your body.

You dont bounce non stop when footwork. You do steps. Forwards, backwards, to the sides, transfering your weight and coordinating the movement of feet with body and eventually kicks and punches. Ali has run backwards even. Sure jump ropes are great, but come on we are talking here about building a solid general conditioning - running beats everything.

Boxers and mostly stand up fighters do jump rope a lot too, but I havent heart jump rope to be an important conditioning for wrestlers for example. My father was a wrestler actually and I never heard of him talking about jump rope, but many times about running.

You dont bounce non stop when footwork. You do steps. Forwards, backwards, to the sides, transfering your weight and coordinating the movement of feet with body and eventually kicks and punches. Ali has run backwards even. Sure jump ropes are great, but come on we are talking here about building a solid general conditioning - running beats everything.

Boxers and mostly stand up fighters do jump rope a lot too, but I havent heart jump rope to be an important conditioning for wrestlers for example. My father was a wrestler actually and I never heard of him talking about jump rope, but many times about running.

Not haven't been in that environment (Brit), even I've heard about wrestlers running stairs and doing effectively firemen carries up and down hills/bleachers.

Bro, have you ever actually attempted to *sprint* 400 meters?

For starters, 800 m is a middle distance event.

800m sure feels like a sprint if you're in a race where one of the guys splits sub 50 for 400m.

800m sure feels like a sprint if you're in a race where one of the guys splits sub 50 for 400m.
the world record for 800m is 1:40:91, no one in the world is splitting sub 50 400s during an 800m race, let alone the people you're running against.

the world record for 800m is 1:40:91, no one in the world is splitting sub 50 400s during an 800m race, let alone the people you're running against.

You might want to look up Johnny Gray.

Its not a pure sprint like the 50m or 100m, but you have to run pretty fucking fast for a little over a minute. I get way more tired after 4x400 vs a 2-3 mile run.

We use a lot this form of conditioning.
In case of high level atheltes we work on 2 times a week with this kind of routine (usually 5x400).
We have Jiu Jitsu and MMA fighters
Good luck sprinting 400 metres more than once.

I think the WR split is sub 50 for the first 400 and 52-53 for the second. Not sure.

And no this person would not be running against people at that level.

Back