Sprints, what better: 5x400 metres or 5x800?

I have to say, as a former track runner, I was a little bit disappointed to see that my running fitness doesn't exactly keep me from gassing out when I am grappling. -_- disappointing. Increasingly I think endurance for grappling is specific to grappling. Maybe because it's more upper body?

It's because grappling draws on the anaerobic system, and the performance of the anaerobic system mainly comes from adaptations in the periphery of the body, specifically in the muscles that are actually being used (IIRC the adaptations relate to the way that ATP is synthesized and its metabolites are broken down and recycled, check with sports sciencey guys..). Running anything more than 400m mainly draws and develops the aerobic system. With aerobic system development the main adaptation is the output of the cardiovascular system. There are some peripheral adaptations, but they relate to the uptake of oxygen to fuel slower (aerobic) synthesis of ATP. Not faster (anaerobic) synthesis. And if you are a runner those adaptations will be in the legs.

But yes, the aerobic system should still be contributing quite a bit of power when you are grappling, and so that running background ought to be helping. It would indeed be worse without it.

It's because grappling draws on the anaerobic system, and the performance of the anaerobic system mainly comes from adaptations in the periphery of the body, specifically in the muscles that are actually being used (IIRC the adaptations relate to the way that ATP is synthesized and its metabolites are broken down and recycled, check with sports sciencey guys..). Running anything more than 400m mainly draws and develops the aerobic system. With aerobic system development the main adaptation is the output of the cardiovascular system. There are some peripheral adaptations, but they relate to the uptake of oxygen to fuel slower (aerobic) synthesis of ATP. Not faster (anaerobic) synthesis. And if you are a runner those adaptations will be in the legs.

But yes, the aerobic system should still be contributing quite a bit of power when you are grappling, and so that running background ought to be helping. It would indeed be worse without it.

That makes sense. Here's a question... how do we former runners develop our upper bodies in the same fashion? Swim? I used to swim quite a bit when I was injured, but tbh it's so painful to get into a cold pool that now that I can run, I'm sticking with that. Maybe I should suck it up and include swimming, along with continuing to train upper body anaerobically (weights and calisthenics).

Or are weight-room things good enough and just roll live more?

My best 1.5 time was 8 min 29 when ironically I spent 2 months doing lsd work in the 130-150bpm range...on a elliptical machine.
Prior to that probably 8 min 40ish when I was running here and there.

I think as long as you have a good output in whatever sport you do, reaching sub 6 min mile for 1.5 miles is achievable.

I would add I was probably 90ish kg at this point and about 26, so 2-3 years since I was at my fittest and consistently doing my fight training. Edit- and I think I was only doing a single run per week for some of that fighting period, where I would do squats in the am, train 2000-2200 and then get back and get a hard 3 miler in (I think 3, I didn't have GPS back then and just ran to kill my body off).
Ummm what? A sub 6 in the 1.5 is not achievable by everyone, not even close. Hell even 8m29s... Yous crazy

Something has been acting really crazy with my Google keyboard lately. It's been making crazy changes to words for no reason and is incredibly glitchy. I'm not sure what to do about it.
Gboard? Same shit for me. What worked was disabling it then reenabling it

Gboard? Same shit for me. What worked was disabling it then reenabling it

Yeah it's been acting fucking crazy. The last few days it's been ok, but for a few months it was out of control crazy.

Ummm what? A sub 6 in the 1.5 is not achievable by everyone, not even close. Hell even 8m29s... Yous crazy

I thought this was a MMA site with people training to be competitive?

I hated running, but I could bang out the above with minimal training and I was about 95kg at that point. Then again I am quite competitive and hated gassing when fighting/training.

I was in no way weak during the above period either. I have a log on this site which, while lacking significant updates in the last few years, has my stats from 2009/2010 covering my training and work load.

edit- I would obviously suggest age and weight play a factor, but read para 1 in conjunction with my post.

That makes sense. Here's a question... how do we former runners develop our upper bodies in the same fashion? Swim? I used to swim quite a bit when I was injured, but tbh it's so painful to get into a cold pool that now that I can run, I'm sticking with that. Maybe I should suck it up and include swimming, along with continuing to train upper body anaerobically (weights and calisthenics).

Or are weight-room things good enough and just roll live more?

Just doing more of your sport (i.e. grappling in your case) is what most people here recommend. If it's not enough or you just can't grapple as much as you need to, you need to various anaerobic exercises that use similar motions to what you do when you do grapple. Swimming with a variety of different strokes is probably a good option, barbell complexes can be okay, rowing could be okay, there are any number of different circuits out there (Ross Training has some good ones). There are some decent cardio machines- cross trainers/aerodyne, C2 rower, versaclimber, Jacob's ladder. You probably want to mix it up a decent amount because it is going to be very difficult to find any one exercise that mimics everything you do in grappling perfectly. For muscular endurance you mainly want to do HIIT- intervals with different rest:work periods.

Best thing you can do is learn more about it yourself so you can program your own training smartly. Joel Jamieson's book 'Ultimate MMA Conditioning' is the best single resource I know of for that.

Just doing more of your sport (i.e. grappling in your case) is what most people here recommend. If it's not enough or you just can't grapple as much as you need to, you need to various anaerobic exercises that use similar motions to what you do when you do grapple. Swimming with a variety of different strokes is probably a good option, barbell complexes can be okay, rowing could be okay, there are any number of different circuits out there (Ross Training has some good ones). There are some decent cardio machines- cross trainers/aerodyne, C2 rower, versaclimber, Jacob's ladder. You probably want to mix it up a decent amount because it is going to be very difficult to find any one exercise that mimics everything you do in grappling perfectly. For muscular endurance you mainly want to do HIIT- intervals with different rest:work periods.

Best thing you can do is learn more about it yourself so you can program your own training smartly. Joel Jamieson's book 'Ultimate MMA Conditioning' is the best single resource I know of for that.

Agreed on the Joel Jamieson book. It was under that that I did 2 solid months of just HR based training within the 130-150bpm range and got my fastest 1.5 mile time.
I wasn't training everything else at that point so I rarely got above 160 bpm due to other training.

He meant sub 6 per mile, for 1.5 miles. So 9 min total. Which is easy.

Isn't Aerobic resistance a process whereby over time one becomes immune to all urges to perform cardio?

Back