Square stance

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So I've been testing out different stances in my training and at the moment I've really fallen in love with the squarer stance (shoulders parallel with your hips, no lead arm)

I was introduced to this by watch Bas' instructionals and obviously peekaboo fighters usually stand similar to this.

Anyone else stand square and or have videos with people I can study thanks. Would like to know your experiences

I tend to switch stances a lot especially mid combo and I find I'm usually in a peekaboo type stance similar to tyson. My shoulders are usually squared but I will have a lead leg. Bas is a huge inspiration for me and I find him Tyson and Dekkers use that squared type stance. I find power output to be a big reason why. Bas even said he doesn't really jab even. New fight tips video has some insight on this

Edit: I find myself either squared and extremely bladed depending on situation and how I'm handling the moment haha

So I've been testing out different stances in my training and at the moment I've really fallen in love with the squarer stance (shoulders parallel with your hips, no lead arm)

I was introduced to this by watch Bas' instructionals and obviously peekaboo fighters usually stand similar to this.

Anyone else stand square and or have videos with people I can study thanks. Would like to know your experiences

I use and like the more square stance

There's actually a video where Bas explains why he opted for square open stance while fighting. It's definitely interesting hearing him explain why he opted for it:

Also something he doesn't mention that I think played a big role in why he opted for a square stance is probably because he spent most of his MMA career in pancrase where you weren't allowed to punch with a closed fist & where very few people knew how to strike with open hands.

That's why he never had any issues with the square stance during his career and probably why he feels the way he does. I mean in that scenario even I'd advocate a squarer stance - if you know you can't get punched in the face.

Last edited:
There's actually a video where Bas explains why he opted for square open stance while fighting. It's definitely interesting hearing him explain why he opted for it:

Also something he doesn't mention that I think played a big role in why he opted for a square stance is probably because he spent most of his MMA career in pancrase where you weren't allowed to punch with a closed fist & where very few people knew how to strike with open hands.

That's why he never had any issues with the square stance during his career and probably why he feels the way he does. I mean in that scenario even I'd advocate a squarer stance - if you know you can't get punched in the face.

you can open palm strike to the face though, which is a straight "punch". I dont know what Bas is talking about regarding stance cause i didnt watch the video but IMO, square stance like in MT makes perfect sense to me.

Where was all this pro square stance talk back on my stance thread? lol

I paid for Bas's big DVDs of combat, he explains it well in them. Its strange as I was always a very bladed fighter but after trying this type of stance im hooked.

I have to point out that I have sacrificed range in my in and out movement, but so far I haven't had too much trouble after making some adjustments.

Being able to fire off left hooks without the need to shift my weight has been a game changer in my eyes.

you can open palm strike to the face though, which is a straight "punch". I dont know what Bas is talking about regarding stance cause i didnt watch the video but IMO, square stance like in MT makes perfect sense to me.

Where was all this pro square stance talk back on my stance thread? lol

How many people were open palm striking to the face though? Bas was one of the first to figure out how to really hit someone with an open palm in pancrase.

Open palm strikes aren't like straight punches. You can't generate the same amount of leverage as you can with a straight punch. Try it out on a heavy bag for yourself. That added with the fact you just weren't seeing open palms strikes being thrown in volume - is probably why Bas stuck with a square stance. Personally I prefer a bladed stance.

I've watched quite a few pancrase matches back in the day. There was very little open palms to the face. It was mainly bodyshots, kicks & grappling. Bas was one of the very few who figured out how to really smack someone with the open palms.

LOL well if you want to know Bas views on square stance watch the video.

Personally I think square stances were great for pancrase. I don't think they are good for MMA or any art that's boxing heavy - against an average or competent boxer in a square stance - it's just asking to get lit up especially if you want to trade or stay in range.

You get more power on your lead side, but lose it on your trailing side. You got your left side loaded for a hook a bit more already. Your middle is open more to straights to the body and a jab can split your guard.

Every time you get something from a stance, you lose something else that another stance offers.

How many people were open palm striking to the face though? Bas was one of the first to figure out how to really hit someone with an open palm in pancrase.

Open palm strikes aren't like straight punches. You can't generate the same amount of leverage as you can with a straight punch. Try it out on a heavy bag for yourself. That added with the fact you just weren't seeing open palms strikes being thrown in volume - is probably why Bas stuck with a square stance. Personally I prefer a bladed stance.

I've watched quite a few pancrase matches back in the day. There was very little open palms to the face. It was mainly bodyshots, kicks & grappling. Bas was one of the very few who figured out how to really smack someone with the open palms.

LOL well if you want to know Bas views on square stance watch the video.

Personally I think square stances were great for pancrase. I don't think they are good for MMA or any art that's boxing heavy - against an average or competent boxer in a square stance - it's just asking to get lit up especially if you want to trade or stay in range.

i agree with most of what you said, and after reading that, now when I think about it, MT is probably the only thing outside of pancrase where a square stance is good. and true not many guys were throwing open palms to the face but i would disagree about the power...is it stronger than a punch, dunno. But there is still plenty of power, and because its open palm it must be thrown straight. A open palm to the nose is worse then a punch I would imagine....many finer detials of it can be debated but basically, its a powerful, or can be powerful depending on where it lands.

finally watched the video, good stuff and well said. square stance is how i started in MT and what feels most natural to me. its cool to see more people recognizing it. I guess its not for everyone but depends on your fighting style. square stance is perfect for muay khao

Last edited:
Back