SRL vs Mayweather Sr was a brutal fight

so you're saying cocaine is a PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUG??

It could be considered one, doesn't it increase your senses at least for a bit? If it increases your alertness and reaction then yes it would be a PED. That's why a lot of baseball players take aderall, it's not a PED in terms of muscle and stuff but it keeps them alert

Regarding PEDs. Definitely cocaine is a PED especially where fatigue and pain relief are useful, and in fact opiods are known to have been used as PEDs since ancient Greek times. In fact that is why we call it "doping" in the first place. In the late 1880s most competitive cyclists specifically took cocaine which was acknowledged particularly among French cyclists. Also recorded cases of lacrosse teams using it.

In the 1904 Olympics apparently "Mixtures of strychnine, heroin, cocaine, and caffeine were used widely by athletes and each coach or team developed its own unique secret formulae."

I can go on about that, but regarding steroids they knew about that since the 1940s. Russian weightlifters were publicly using testosterone by 1954. American Olympic athletes were known to be doing them by early 1960s. With professional boxing getting fed from Olympic boxing it is not a stretch that there would be significant steroid use starting in the mid 1960s.

Note too of course that it wasn't even illegal. Steroids were readily available since they had legitimate uses. Boxers already had doctors giving them special attention and all they would have needed for a testosterone prescription would have been to say they were getting too sore or tired.

I know by personal experience that by the mid 1970s every highschool boy had access to steroids, so I'm pretty darn sure that every pro boxer did as well. Whether they chose to use them, who knows, but I feel every one of them considered it since it was a tool for sports performance that was gaining prominence in all strength and endurance sports.

It wouldn't be an antihistamine. Almost guaranteed to be smelling salts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts

no way he would be able to sniff selling salts that closely like that without a reaction
Selanne_medium.gif

ThornyDependentAsiantrumpetfish.gif

giphy.gif

CourageousFatalBangeltiger.gif

no way he would be able to sniff selling salts that closely like that without a reaction
Selanne_medium.gif

giphy.gif

They can be diluted. It could've been a concoction of anything where he was inhaling the vapors. I've heard all kinds of theories as to what he inhaled. Salts are one such theory.

Because most modern solutions are mixed with water, they should more properly be called "aromatic spirits of ammonia".[1] Modern solutions may also contain other products to perfume or act in conjunction with the ammonia, such as lavender oil or eucalyptus oil.[2]

Last edited:
Mayweather Sr. wasn't much of a hitter, so SRL could take more risks and get away with it.

Selanne_medium.gif

giphy.gif

He had been beaten pretty bad in the last round before the finisb. Probably was concussed.

Would that affect his reaction to smelling salts? Not a doctor but i would think so

at least cocaine. Both were known coke heads, prop meth heads to.

I think Floyd Jr is p4p as good as SRL, if not better. But SRL was bigger, and I think he would have beaten Floyd pretty handily at 147.
Floyd jr. Would out point by a mile SRL in a boring fight.

Pretty sure Luis Resto, who was cornered by Panama Louis, said it was antihistamines and that they used it quite a bit.

Yeah, Resto said that antihistamines would be crushed and mixed in with the water. But, that's an oral route of administration where the onset of action would be far too slow to give him that kind of lift in between rounds. What he was inhaling is what's being discussed here since the onset of action seemed to have an acute effect.

Yeah, Resto said that antihistamines would be crushed and mixed in with the water. But, that's an oral route of administration where the onset of action would be far too slow to give him that kind of lift in between rounds. What he was inhaling is what's being discussed here since the onset of action seemed to have an acute effect.
Adrenaline, most likely. You see fighters do that sometimes. In the late rounds their corner will be slamming those adrenaline swabs up their guys nose.

Pretty sure Luis Resto, who was cornered by Panama Louis, said it was antihistamines and that they used it quite a bit.
I watched a show about him a couple years ago where he went to talk to Panama Louis about the fight with Billy Collins Jr. He talked about Panama Lewis doing a few things HBO also had a documentary on the first fight with Arguello vs Pryor where they brought up the water bottle.

Adrenaline, most likely. You see fighters do that sometimes. In the late rounds their corner will be slamming those adrenaline swabs up their guys nose.

Yeah, it crossed my mind and could've been what he was inhaling. Here's an interesting read for others on its "dual use" in boxing.

sr. is still so bitter about this fight. even a couple months ago he was telling sugar ray he wants to fight him again. srl was better, but a healthy floyd would have had a better showing.

jeff mayweather said he thinks had floyd stayed healthy/ out of trouble, he was perhaps the best of the three brothers. and considering how he idolized roger, that is saying quite a lot
when i saw that fight i thought it was the perfect work of manager, angelo dundee, who had a method for developing fighters by giving them tests just enough to make them grow and improve but not to have them lose. mayweather may have been as fast or faster than ray so that was a good test to have him deal with someone who could match some of his gifts, at the same time, mayweather couldn't punch for shit so he really wasn't a danger.

Damn! Too bad they don’t let guys bang like that anymore. That was vicious!

Regarding PEDs. Definitely cocaine is a PED especially where fatigue and pain relief are useful, and in fact opiods are known to have been used as PEDs since ancient Greek times. In fact that is why we call it "doping" in the first place. In the late 1880s most competitive cyclists specifically took cocaine which was acknowledged particularly among French cyclists. Also recorded cases of lacrosse teams using it.

In the 1904 Olympics apparently "Mixtures of strychnine, heroin, cocaine, and caffeine were used widely by athletes and each coach or team developed its own unique secret formulae."

I can go on about that, but regarding steroids they knew about that since the 1940s. Russian weightlifters were publicly using testosterone by 1954. American Olympic athletes were known to be doing them by early 1960s. With professional boxing getting fed from Olympic boxing it is not a stretch that there would be significant steroid use starting in the mid 1960s.

Note too of course that it wasn't even illegal. Steroids were readily available since they had legitimate uses. Boxers already had doctors giving them special attention and all they would have needed for a testosterone prescription would have been to say they were getting too sore or tired.

I know by personal experience that by the mid 1970s every highschool boy had access to steroids, so I'm pretty darn sure that every pro boxer did as well. Whether they chose to use them, who knows, but I feel every one of them considered it since it was a tool for sports performance that was gaining prominence in all strength and endurance sports.
http://aforeverrecovery.com/blog/drugs/is-cocaine-used-as-a-performance-enhancer-by-athletes/

Back