SRL vs Mayweather Sr was a brutal fight

fm senior record 28-6 with 17 kO's
hmm, that's a good kayo record, he didn't look like much of a hitter though, physically, he just didn't have the coordination, good handspeed though.

and gee, i wonder why that shoulder didn't work?

Regarding PEDs. Definitely cocaine is a PED especially where fatigue and pain relief are useful, and in fact opiods are known to have been used as PEDs since ancient Greek times. In fact that is why we call it "doping" in the first place. In the late 1880s most competitive cyclists specifically took cocaine which was acknowledged particularly among French cyclists. Also recorded cases of lacrosse teams using it.

In the 1904 Olympics apparently "Mixtures of strychnine, heroin, cocaine, and caffeine were used widely by athletes and each coach or team developed its own unique secret formulae."

I can go on about that, but regarding steroids they knew about that since the 1940s. Russian weightlifters were publicly using testosterone by 1954. American Olympic athletes were known to be doing them by early 1960s. With professional boxing getting fed from Olympic boxing it is not a stretch that there would be significant steroid use starting in the mid 1960s.

Note too of course that it wasn't even illegal. Steroids were readily available since they had legitimate uses. Boxers already had doctors giving them special attention and all they would have needed for a testosterone prescription would have been to say they were getting too sore or tired.

I know by personal experience that by the mid 1970s every highschool boy had access to steroids, so I'm pretty darn sure that every pro boxer did as well. Whether they chose to use them, who knows, but I feel every one of them considered it since it was a tool for sports performance that was gaining prominence in all strength and endurance sports.
no, you're wrong...there is absolutely no evidence to support your claim that cocaine is a performance enhancer.

no, you're wrong...there is absolutely no evidence to support your claim that cocaine is a performance enhancer.

I never said it was particularly effective but it definitely has been used a lot in sports in the belief that it would. It's use is extremely well documented.

Also, keep in mind that we're talking about fighting sports where pain relief is a bigger factor than in other sports. It might not make you faster, but it sure as hell will make the blows sting less. That may be worth it.

Also keep in mind that dosing is really key to all performance enhancement. Of course it isn't going to be helpful to be out-of-your mind stoned. But a little something to take an edge off may help.

I never said it was particularly effective but it definitely has been used a lot in sports in the belief that it would. It's use is extremely well documented.

Also, keep in mind that we're talking about fighting sports where pain relief is a bigger factor than in other sports. It might not make you faster, but it sure as hell will make the blows sting less. That may be worth it.

Also keep in mind that dosing is really key to all performance enhancement. Of course it isn't going to be helpful to be out-of-your mind stoned. But a little something to take an edge off may help.

Cocaine would be absolutely awful for a cardio sport like boxing considering what it does to heart rate and your core temperature. Also, the idea that Pryor was drinking water with coke dissolved into it (something that people have argued a lot over the years) from the special water bottle has always seemed ridiculous to me considering how long it takes to enter the bloodstream if you're ingesting it.

Cocaine would be absolutely awful for a cardio sport like boxing considering what it does to heart rate and your core temperature. Also, the idea that Pryor was drinking water with coke dissolved into it (something that people have argued a lot over the years) from the special water bottle has always seemed ridiculous to me considering how long it takes to enter the bloodstream if you're ingesting it.
I've always heard it wasn't supposed to be cocaine, but rather the contents of ashtma pills, which are supposed to improve cardio

I've always heard it wasn't supposed to be cocaine, but rather the contents of ashtma pills, which are supposed to improve cardio

Ingesting anything takes way too long. If it was a nasal spray or something like that, I'd get it. It's just that physiologically, ingesting anything like that won't do anything for you for at least 10 minutes (and that the absolute earliest; it's usually closer to 30 or beyond).

I don't mean to besmirch cocaine. It's a good substance that is well enjoyed from time to time.

Ingesting anything takes way too long. If it was a nasal spray or something like that, I'd get it. It's just that physiologically, ingesting anything like that won't do anything for you for at least 10 minutes (and that the absolute earliest; it's usually closer to 30 or beyond).

I don't mean to besmirch cocaine. It's a good substance that is well enjoyed from time to time.
hmmmm yeah, the only other thing I could suggest is maybe amphetamines (like speed), which, just based off of personal experience, still takes a few minutes to set in

hmmmm yeah, the only other thing I could suggest is maybe amphetamines (like speed), which, just based off of personal experience, still takes a few minutes to set in
Coke is pretty fast acting. I could see how someone could benefit from a line between rounds.

Not sure how the cornerman could get the mirror out and chop up a line so quick though.

Man Floyd Sr. was really fast. He was quick and game, and, like his son, was tough. Passed on good genetics.

Floyd Jr's toughness and composure under fire is perhaps overlooked

bump. i actually rewatched this today. Vicious fight. Unreal
Haha me too
I always remember the absolute ass kicking at the end and forget how tough Floyd was in the beginning. Pretty good fight IMO

fm senior record 28-6 with 17 kO's

Floyd Sr.'s best punch was his left hook. He wasn't a huge puncher but he could crack a bit with his hook. It's funny how he got the hook, Roger got the big right hand & Jeff basically got no punch at all. It's a shame though because he had the best over-all pure boxing skills of the three brothers but he couldn't punch at all so high-level opponents would eventually walk him down.
Anyhow, back to Floyd Sr. he fought my friend & frequent sparring partner, Calvin "Pop" Porter in Atlantic City back in '83. And, he ended his career. He stopped "Pop" in the 8th round & caused a detached retina. It's a shame too because Porter had just entered the world ratings based on his win over future WBO welterweight world champion Manning Galloway.
Some of "Pop's" beast fights were the wars that he'd have in the gym though. Him & top ten lightweight contender Ralph Racine used to go to war in sparring. The most heated though was between him & Hector Frazier ( with fought under the Joe Frazier Jr. moniker ) in Joe Frazier's gym. They hated one another & Joe eventually had to stop putting Hector in with "Pop" because their sparring sessions would get so heated & ugly. On one notable occasion, they spilled out into the alley behind the gym where "Pop" wrecked him in a streetfight.

Man Floyd Sr. was really fast. He was quick and game, and, like his son, was tough. Passed on good genetics.

Floyd Jr's toughness and composure under fire is perhaps overlooked
Overlooked or misunderstood. The way he came back from that scud middle that Mosley hit him with. He did what he needed to do and was reversing the situation by the next round.

Overlooked or misunderstood. The way he came back from that scud middle that Mosley hit him with. He did what he needed to do and was reversing the situation by the next round.
He also handled Hatton's mugging, hit and hold tactics very well. And in the fight alot of people thought he lost, Castillo 1, he fought hard down the stretch with and injured shoulder. So many people thought he lost but I had it either 7-5 Mayweather in rounds or 6-6.

He also handled Hatton's mugging, hit and hold tactics very well. And in the fight alot of people thought he lost, Castillo 1, he fought hard down the stretch with and injured shoulder. So many people thought he lost but I had it either 7-5 Mayweather in rounds or 6-6.
The mental aspect is often overlooked by us fans and I think Floyd’s ability to remain calm like you said is one of his greatest strengths you never see him sacrificing himself for the fight or getting caught out in exchanges. It’s funny as some (know nothing chumps) will say this is why he isn a fighter. But it is this quality that makes him a champion.

Mayweather snr had incredible handspeed. Srl showed an amazing workrate in this fight along with speed and skill. He was in incredible shape. Mayweather jnr might be more skilled than Srl. But over 15 rounds srl's workrate and physicality would be too much for floyd jnr imo. Mayweather snr is massive standing beside jnr. They don't look like they could of fought in the same weight class.

Back