Staircase-Netflix Doc on Michael Peterson case

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this documentary?

Basically a camera crew followed Michael Peterson around starting shortly after he was arrest throughout the entire legal process. I was originally interested because the story took place in Durham, NC about 20 miles from where I live and I vaguely remember case although I was between 13-16 when it happened so I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Michael's wife is found at the bottom of their stairwell with massive amounts of blood and 7 huge lacerations to her head. He calls 911 and says she fell down the stairs and hit her head. He says he was out by his pool when it happened and he didn't know she fell until he walk in for the night. The police think he murdered her.

There are a crazy amount of twists and turns throughout the case to the point that if I didn't know it was all true I would think it was a fictional case. There are 13 episodes and almost all of them had moments where i said WHAT THE FUCK.

In my opinion he murdered her and from the hours of footage of watching him he seems like a complete sociopath that has mastered exploiting people's emotions.

Just half way through episode 1. Im glad they put in pics of her and the crime/accident scene plus ive just seen the photos of her head with all the gashes in it.

I did laugh when one of the investigators said she would have had to go down the stairs like a pogo stick to cause that damage lol

Saw this a while back on Youtube. It's great.

I believe he's innocent, and I kind of buy into the owl theory.

Here’s my thoughts without spoiling the show for others.

He killed her. The way her body is lying at the bottom of the stairs looks so staged and unnatural. The amount of blood and the lacerations on her head are not caused by stairs.

When I was very young, my brother fell down our basement stairs which are wooden, and there’s probably 15-20 steps. He was knocked out, and he had some blood coming out of his ears. Paramedics were called to come stretcher him out. He stayed at the hospital that night, and he was fine to come home the next day. My point being to all of this, the walls and stairs weren’t covered in blood, and his head wasn’t gashed all over. Now, I know not all incidents are the same, but you cannot convince me Peterson’s wife caused all that blood and had those kind of lacerations from just falling down the stairs.

Plus, another woman in his life died in a similar fashion before this. That’s not coincidence.

Definitely a great series. Not as good as The Jinx IMO, but it was really good. What’s funny is way before I watched it (which was right after I saw The Jinx) I had listened to the first episode of Criminal where they laid out the owl theory but I had totally forgotten about that until much after I’d seen the Staircase and was scrolling through criminal episodes and recognized his name.

How is Netflix calling this a Netflix original?

I thought this came out years ago on showtime or HBO

I watched it several years ago. Dude kind of seems like a sociopath.

They all do that shit.

For example: the TV show Humans. Made in Britain. Remade from a Swedish show. British remake imported to USA. AMC Original.

It's probably some loophole that they can say that. They're not actually calling it their original rather "AMC original" or "Netflix original" are some kind of blanket term that they use for their shit.

There are 3 new episodes based on things that happened in 2016 and 2017
Are there really?

<TheWire1>

What are the new findings? You can PM me or just make a spoiler if you don't want to ruin it for other people.

Are there really?

<TheWire1>

What are the new findings? You can PM me or just make a spoiler if you don't want to ruin it for other people.

1st new episode: 2016 they take him off house arrest and he is still preparing for a new trail. He is broke and lives in a shitty apartment. A lot of it is just his family sitting around talking and complaining about the justice system. Both of the daughters have turned into green haired lesbians, but they all still support him. His defense team tries to argue that since the evidence wasn't stored properly and they can't do DNA evidence the case should be thrown out due to not being fair. The prosecution argues that their defense is she tripped and hit her head so DNA wouldn't help them anyway and the judge agrees and the trail is still on.

2nd new episode: More sitting around and talking about how it's not fair he's on trail. They start to talk about if he should take a plea deal instead of going to trail he said he will never say he is guilty. A couple of months go by and the judge has determined to not allow the evidence of him being gay and the incident in Germany to be allowed in the new trail. The prosecution offers a plea deal an "alford plea" which allows you to accept a guilty judgement without admitting guilt. They deal for voluntary manslaughter and time served.

3rd new episode: The hearing where he makes the guilty plea. This episode is definitely worth watching. The sister in law goes off on him in court and it's awesome. The final scene is haunting too.

saw it years ago... its been on youtube.

was good... so crazy both his wives died in weird ways. .

Last edited:

I think it was originally IFC. Not sure though.

Either way, they bought the rights so they can do what they want with it. They do it with plenty of shows, like "Arrested Development", or "The 100" for instance. No big deal. It's just some marketing shit.

i just saw the doc, i was on board saying that he killed them, but towards the end i had a change of heart
i dont think he did it
has anyone looked into the owl theory?

Was a great show back when I watched it and cant wait to see the new ones. This dude had hidden things in his life that I wont spoil for those who dont know, but if he lied about that, he's probably lying about the murder. Plus the first wife dying the same way....no you cant get a pass for two. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...right George Bush?

Last edited:
Came in thinking...Peterson...what was that crazy case? Then remembered, it was Scott Peterson.

Id watch that.

Only watched the first two episodes,

when the guy approaches Michael about a witness claiming they were in a relationship. his reaction is fake as fuck.

and then in an interview he describes how he was never in a relationship with the guy. but sure of course he could have sex with the guy. but a relationship where they "went to dinner" was preposterous because his wife filled his needs that way.

just the way he views sex with people other than his wife, let alone the opposite sex, it just felt so callous, cold and calculated. Completely contrarian to this "ideal marriage" that his kids and family project and imagined he and his wife to have. I can't imagine someone who views cheating on his wife so coldly could be involved in such a perfect marriage that it excuses him from being guilty.

has anyone looked into the owl theory?

Yeah, it makes sense to me. In fairness though, if you dig deep enough you can probably come up with similar theories to bizarre murders like this one.

So, while it does make sense to me, it could also be a case where whoever came up with it, worked long and hard on how to spin it, and just applied a far out theory that just happens to check all the boxes. The guy could've very well killed her all the same, but the owl theory is pretty compelling nonetheless.

Yeah, it makes sense to me. In fairness though, if you dig deep enough you can probably come up with similar theories to bizarre murders like this one.

So, while it does make sense to me, it could also be a case where whoever came up with it, worked long and hard on how to spin it, and just applied a far out theory that just happens to check all the boxes. The guy could've very well killed her all the same, but the owl theory is pretty compelling nonetheless.
I agree, like i said, i was convinced that he was guilty until i saw him while in prison, the guy was still trying to be a nice guy, he just doesnt seem like someone who would kill his wife
i dont know, i wasnt there and could be wrong, but i dont think so

Half way through episode 3 and I really like it. I mistakenly read it as 3 episodes so I thought I would burn through it but then realized it was 13 and had a bunch of shit to do yesterday so I stopped so I didn't waste my whole day and not get shit done. Definitely will keep watching though.

Back