Stalling on 5/3/1... tips?

B0l0joe

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I had a good seven months at 531 (i just got Wendler 531 book last week) with only a few hiccups then recalculated my maxes. I started again 5 months ago with a traning squat max of 115. Today i could only squat 2 reps of 115 (of the required 5). (BW is 74)

Only stalling a couple of times in one year isn't too bad considering i haven't missed a session and been deloading but how do you guys deal with it? (apart from taking 10% of the training max) I felt my confidence take a bit of a hit, thinking that my squat had hardly improved at all in these 5 months.

Last edited:
What template are you doing? The standard one from the original 5/3/1?

Check out Beyond 5/3/1, or have a look at my log if you like for an idea, I run 5/3/1 with "Joker Sets" and "First Set Last", much more work & volume, which I feel pays off (not that my lifts are particularly great, but they'll get there)

Edit, to provide more information.

Using the template from "Beyond 5/3/1" you would work as follows, using the 5's week as an example:

Set 1: 65% of Training Max x 5 reps
Set 2: 75% of Training Max x 5 reps
Set 3: 85% of Training Max x 5 reps +

If you hit your 3rd Set with extra reps and are feeling good, you can take extra jumps in weight and perform further sets, known as "Joker Sets"

Then, back off and do "First Set Last" downsets, where you take the weight from Set 1 (65% of TM) and do multiple sets of 5 reps, 8 reps, or an all-out set of as many reps as possible.

This provides quite a bit of work. I tend to do my 5/3/1 sets, Joker Sets if the top set went particularly well and then do 5 x 5 with 65% of TM afterwards.

Hope this makes sense, the extra volume may help push you through your plateau.

Last edited:
What template are you doing? The standard one from the original 5/3/1?

Check out Beyond 5/3/1, or have a look at my log if you like for an idea, I run 5/3/1 with "Joker Sets" and "First Set Last", much more work & volume, which I feel pays off (not that my lifts are particularly great, but they'll get there)

Edit, to provide more information.

Using the template from "Beyond 5/3/1" you would work as follows, using the 5's week as an example:

Set 1: 65% of Training Max x 5 reps
Set 2: 75% of Training Max x 5 reps
Set 3: 85% of Training Max x 5 reps +

If you hit your 3rd Set with extra reps and are feeling good, you can take extra jumps in weight and perform further sets, known as "Joker Sets"

Then, back off and do "First Set Last" downsets, where you take the weight from Set 1 (65% of TM) and do multiple sets of 5 reps, 8 reps, or an all-out set of as many reps as possible.

This provides quite a bit of work. I tend to do my 5/3/1 sets, Joker Sets if the top set went particularly well and then do 5 x 5 with 65% of TM afterwards.

Hope this makes sense, the extra volume may help push you through your plateau.
Thanks for the tips. I have been doing the big but boring as assistance along the standard 531. Will definitely consider your program though

Basically all the ways of overcoming the stall will, after your reset involve some of the following

1) More training volume- the amount of training you were doing is no longer enough to drive adaptations
2) Better fatigue management during the training week - the intensity or volume didn't vary enough session to session, and so you were getting to GD tired to express the adaptations you have
3) not enough movement variety- you had some weak point you didn't address

So you could stay within 5/3/1 and choose a version with more fatigue management, greater overall volume, and some more exercise variety. I would probably choose another variant (or a similar program like Juggernaut) rather than completely changing it up unless you REALLY don't enjoy your training.

do sets across at the top percentage and forego the overblown warm ups

I had a lot of success with the 5/3/1/ during my MSc in sports performance, but I switched over to DUP periodization and had much great success!

I second DUP periodization. Much more fun to program also.

I really like this researcher because he breaks it down in simple terms

100 total? Unless you’re reaching elite strength numbers, I’m not sure that’s a great program for you
Around 100lbs to each. Bench went from 275 to 405, deadlift from 535 to 620, squat from 455 to 600. And overhead press from 205 to 290.

I also bought micro plates because sometimes I couldn’t make the 5lbs jumps on the upper body movements. Byproduct of using a weight heavier than I was supposed to.

I also bought micro plates because sometimes I couldn’t make the 5lbs jumps on the upper body movements. Byproduct of using a weight heavier than I was supposed to.

you're a cool dude. i wish you luck. i love your log. thanks and bye bye...

sorry, i mixed you up with somebbody else logwise. anyway, good luck and keep it up.

you got a log here? no?

Back