[Staph] is it regional

Difeco

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live and train here in Brazil. Staph infections exist, but they are really really rare.
I've trained in different gyms, some of them were dirty...and I almost never notice people getting infected. Maybe it's because we are tropical or something...

And you guys in 'merica always seem to get it. Why?

I live and train here in Brazil. Staph infections exist, but they are really really rare.
I've trained in different gyms, some of them were dirty...and I almost never notice people getting infected. Maybe it's because we are tropical or something...

big nog, maia, hunt have all had staph infections. i think it's wrong to assume it's more common in the US. in part we have more american posters and more americans competing in mma so i think part of the issue is just the skewed perception that arises from those factors.

I think the extensive use of antibacterial soaps and such in the modern world ironically contribute to the prevalence of those super bacteria. I mean, if a chemical kills 99.9% of germs or whatever they advertise, than it is just leaving that .1% of monster germs to survive and thrive with less competition. That is my entirely uneducated opinion

Staph is everywhere. It's pretty bad in Hawaii.

Its very rare in north europe too and i have always wondered why you hear so often about it from people who train in US. For example the TUF shows always seems to have somebody who get some sort of skin infection.

I think the extensive use of antibacterial soaps and such in the modern world ironically contribute to the prevalence of those super bacteria. I mean, if a chemical kills 99.9% of germs or whatever they advertise, than it is just leaving that .1% of monster germs to survive and thrive with less competition. That is my entirely uneducated opinion
That it says 99.9% rather than 100% is more to do with liability issues than the fact that there are bacteria that can survive it. It's over-use of antibiotics that produce 'super-bugs', antiseptics will kill anything and everything.

That it says 99.9% rather than 100% is more to do with liability issues than the fact that there are bacteria that can survive it. It's over-use of antibiotics that produce 'super-bugs', antiseptics will kill anything and everything.

It also kills the good bacteria that protect your skin from infections. Using regular soap for hand washing and the like it's good. I do like tea tree oil though.

This contributes to multiple resistant infections, not supercharged infections or extra staph.

Yup. I got skin problems all the time when I trained in the UK. I almost NEVER see people with ringworm, staph etc here in Brazil. Usually, it was the fucking gringos who brought it here with them, I caught a few guys trying to hide theirs

Yup. I got skin problems all the time when I trained in the UK. I almost NEVER see people with ringworm, staph etc here in Brazil. Usually, it was the fucking gringos who brought it here with them, I caught a few guys trying to hide theirs

That's terrible that they were trying to hide it.

big nog, maia, hunt have all had staph infections. i think it's wrong to assume it's more common in the US. in part we have more american posters and more americans competing in mma so i think part of the issue is just the skewed perception that arises from those factors.

No dude...
And more brazilians train BJJ. I'm telling you, when almost DON'T have staph in here, and I'm wondering why

No dude...
And more brazilians train BJJ. I'm telling you, when almost DON'T have staph in here, and I'm wondering why

produce data that shows staph is more prevalent here in the US in raw numbers or in per participant numbers if you want to make that case. i have no sense that is true.

Back