Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just disappointing. And it is 't necessarily the fault of the episode alone. It has a lot to do with the fact that Q was the only plot thread running through the entire series. Everything else was just a stand-alone episode. So that makes it hard to wrap everything up in a satisfying conclusion. And believe me, I love Star Trek TNG.
With you. It was good but at the time I recall being a bit let down, but it was something we'd already seen in ST TNG, going to the well.
They did it with the Borg, and they "had to have Q in the final ep!"

Any time something in ST succeeds with fans, you're guaranteed to have it overused and be sick of it soon.

For and endless final frontier, the Galaxy is a small goddamned place

With you. It was good but at the time I recall being a bit let down, but it was something we'd already seen in ST TNG, going to the well.
They did it with the Borg, and they "had to have Q in the final ep!"

Any time something in ST succeeds with fans, you're guaranteed to have it overused and be sick of it soon.

For and endless final frontier, the Galaxy is a small goddamned place

I never understood why Star Trek limits itself to the Milky Way tbh.

So I caught a quick interview with the Star Trek cast and the #1 thing being broadcasted was for the first time, ever, there's an openly gay crew member.

If that's the biggest thing they got to say about the show, and their comiccon announcement then this show is going to be absolute shit.

So I caught a quick interview with the Star Trek cast and the #1 thing being broadcasted was for the first time, ever, there's an openly gay crew member.

If that's the biggest thing they got to say about the show, and their comiccon announcement then this show is going to be absolute shit.
It isn't the "biggest thing they got to say".
It's just relevant to the audience they're going to have to appeal to.

I'm not crazy about SJW casting, but in ST, it's particularly appropriate.
Roddenberry's vision of the future included ethnic and other kinds of diversity. He didn't want it to be Whites In Spaaaaaaace

Yeah, 1% of the population.

And there's not a shortage of gay characters on TV, played by gay actors. Its only note-worthy because this is the first one on Star Trek, whoop-dee-doo.

Roddenberry's vision of the future included ethnic and other kinds of diversity. He didn't want it to be Whites In Spaaaaaaace

I'm cool with any and every racial background being cast in any TV show, and always respect when the sexuality of characters is left up to interpretation.

But they've said it's an openly gay actor playing an openly gay character. Great. Can't wait to be reminded of 'Ruepaul's Drag Show' every time he opens his mouth.

And there's not a shortage of gay characters on TV, played by gay actors. Its only note-worthy because this is the first one on Star Trek, whoop-dee-doo.

I'm cool with any and every racial background being cast in any TV show, and always respect when the sexuality of characters is left up to interpretation.

But they've said it's an openly gay actor playing an openly gay character. Great. Can't wait to be reminded of 'Ruepaul's Drag Show' every time he opens his mouth.
I just hope they don't write him as the flamboyant :eek::eek::eek:.
What gay actor would want to portray a campy stereotype?
They'll keep it subdued.

1. In the original series there was mention of some kind of barrier around the galaxy, not sure if its canon anymore or not
2. When Voyager got stuck in Delta Quadrant, it would've taken like 75 years with normal Warp Speed to get back so the galaxy is big.

Yeah, but at the same time, Star Trek should just do it without making a big fuss over it. There are openly gay characters on plenty of TV shows. I don't know why they would act like they're the first ones doing it. Plus, I don't think Roddenberry was doing interviews in the 60s saying, "one of the bridge crew is black." He just did it like it was a given that there would be a black woman on the bridge crew in the future. Calling attention to it just, I don't know.

the show could do some fun stuff with gays in the future.

The amount of time and energy it would take to travel from one Galaxy to another makes that prospect really unrealistic.

The amount of time and energy it would take to travel from one Galaxy to another makes that prospect really unrealistic.

The limitations are really artificial. There would be no problem to have an story arc where Q or some time-space phenomenon created a wormhole or where some ancient Iconian portal is found.

Ok in the new trailer we also see the USS Europa. It is a four nucelled ship, and it is the ship ramming the Klingon ship.

Jason Issac on why he wanted to play Captain Lorca
You think about, 'What story am I telling?' You think about, 'Is this a character? And this is a very interesting, messed-up guy with a bunch of things going on inside. And it's not apparent when you first meet him. He's got all kinds of agendas that are involved. You just look for meat and potatoes, something to act. If I thought, 'Oh, do I want to be Bill Shatner or Patrick Stewart?'... I would have run crying and hidden in a cupboard."/QUOTE]

It really sounds like Captain Lorca will be a section 31 agent, or the whole ship is for them.

I am 90% sure now that we will have flashbacks / different time layers in the story. Burnham's story will be told in flashbacks to the Shenzhou.

Man, I just saw an episode of TNG where Moriarty had control of the ship. Turns out Moriarty thought he was in the real world but was in a simulation. What blew my mind was when Piccard said what if we are all in some box on someone's desk or something like that. Great episode.

Man, I just saw an episode of TNG where Moriarty had control of the ship. Turns out Moriarty thought he was in the real world but was in a simulation. What blew my mind was when Piccard said what if we are all in some box on someone's desk or something like that. Great episode.
I saw that episode last night too on a channel called H & I (Heroes & Icons). TNG was a downright awesome show. There were so many good episodes in the last 4 seasons. I truly miss it. A reunion episode with original writers would be pretty awesome.

ew-dsc-transporter.jpg

Here's the cast on in the Transporter Room of the USS Discovery. Looks pretty good to me.

Heres the previous released picture of the USS Shen Zhou transporter room
uss-shenzhou-transporter-room-1024x682.jpg

So this is all speculation.

So from some breakdowns of the trailer, it appears Burnham is a Commander on the Shen Zhou, but after starting the war with the Klingons, is demoted to Lt. CMDR, and put into the brig. She appears to be Lt.Cmdr on Discovery, and is possibly taken out of prison to join the crew. In pictures you see on the Shen zhou, Burnham has very sleek, almost Vulcan style hair, but on Discovery she has more natural, non straightened short hair.

Still zero fucks are given by me for the new series.
That 3 series of TNG DS9 and VOY time period was just right....
I'm still puzzled what's so bad about a continuation
instead of a prequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back