Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DROPPED

d34H4sD.png

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...e-watched-star-trek-series-on-netflix-uk/amp/

Netflix UK has released star trek viewer statistics for 2016 UK viewers, for treks 51st anniversary. Apparently the UK trekkies were big fans of VOY

1. Star Trek Voyager - season 7, episode 24: Endgame, Parts 1 & 2

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation - season 4, episode 1: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2

3. Star Trek: The Next Generation - season 3, episode 26: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1

4. Star Trek Voyager - season 4, episode 1: Scorpion, Part 2

5. Star Trek Voyager - season 3, episode 26: Scorpion, Part 1

6. Star Trek Voyager - season 5, episode 15: Dark Frontier, Parts 1 & 2

7. Star Trek Voyager - season 4, episode 2: The Gift

8. Star Trek: The Next Generation - season 4, episode 14: Clues

9. Star Trek Voyager - season 1, episode 3: Time and Again

10. Star Trek: The Next Generation - season 2, episode 16: Q-Who?

I like VOY too. I dont know why it gets ripped on. Just the finale was bad.

I like VOY too. I dont know why it gets ripped on. Just the finale was bad.

Overall, the characters and writing for Voyager were pretty weak. TNG and DS9 were far superior shows. The Voyager finale was probably the best episode though.

Overall, the characters and writing for Voyager were pretty weak. TNG and DS9 were far superior shows. The Voyager finale was probably the best episode though.

DS9 has best story, but I cannot see how VOY is worse than TNG.

Why they keep going back in time? First it is ENT, then reboot OS movies, and now this. They need to conclude DS9 better and build off Voyager.

I completely agree. They should have done a post-Voyager show so that we could see guest stars from other series and get an understanding of things that occurred after Voyager. It would also have been easier to avoid contradicting other shows that way.

I completely agree. They should have done a post-Voyager show so that we could see guest stars from other series and get an understanding of things that occurred after Voyager. It would also have been easier to avoid contradicting other shows that way.

yep

Insane amount of political agenda with this new show

They cant just let shit happen organically and are trying to force it upon us
Star Trek has always been about social and political commentary. You probably would have been bitching about the original series episode where the aliens had one side of their face painted black if you had been around back then. Of course in hindsight, it seems like an obvious point to make. But that is the case with any contemporary social commentary as will be the case with this in 50 years.

Star Trek has always been about social and political commentary. You probably would have been bitching about the original series episode where the aliens had one side of their face painted black if you had been around back then. Of course in hindsight, it seems like an obvious point to make. It that is the case with any contemporary social commentary as will be the case with this in 50 years.

It was never forced and that is my problem

I love Star Trek so dont come at me with this type of shit

Star Trek has always been about social and political commentary. You probably would have been bitching about the original series episode where the aliens had one side of their face painted black if you had been around back then. Of course in hindsight, it seems like an obvious point to make. But that is the case with any contemporary social commentary as will be the case with this in 50 years.

It wasn't overt in the original show. They were far more tactful about how they wrote in political undertones. At first glance, it looks like this show lacks the tact and charm of Star Trek shows that came before it.

It wasn't overt in the original show. They were far more tactful about how they wrote in political undertones. At first glance, it looks like this show lacks the tact and charm of Star Trek shows that came before it.

You two are so full of shit. Really? Having a race of aliens where half of them are at war with the other half, because different sides of their faces are black, isn't overt or on the nose? Maybe to you. But to everyone else, it is very on the nose.
And shows always use prominent media figures to inspire their characters. What gets me is they didn't even mention anything negative about the Klingons or Trump. But you are all ready to decry this as some kind of slam against him. Why? Because you know that everyone else thinks he's a fucking moron. And you can't figure out why for much the same reason you think the original series episodes were somehow subtle about their social commentary. Connect the dots on that yourselves.

You don't think having a black woman and a Russian on the bridge was like a slap in the face to a lot of America in the 60's, eh? If anything, contemporary Star Trek is tame in comparison to Star Trek in the past. This show is outright boring on the SJW front compared to the original series. A female captain and first officer? A gay couple? Who the hell cares? Every second show on the air for the past few years has been tripping itself to be the 50th to show to reach these on-air "milestones" and this new Star Trek trying to be progressive is, ironically, actually quite stale. Simply put, all of this "forward thinking" stuff has been done to death.

You want a show that pushes boundaries these days? Have the heroic captain of the ship be an unapologetic racial supremacist or something, but don't present them negatively. Having a black female captain is such a "meh" move on the progressive front these days. Previous Star Treks had some guts for pushing boundaries - this one is looking utterly staid by contemporary standards. Twenty years from now no-one will be looking back on this show and saying "Casting her as the captain was such a bold move!" - and at least three Star Treks have such milestones under their belts for casting. This one will be another Enterprise on that front.

You two are so full of shit. Really? Having a race of aliens where half of them are at war with the other half, because different sides of their faces are black, isn't overt or on the nose? Maybe to you. But to everyone else, it is very on the nose.
And shows always use prominent media figures to inspire their characters. What gets me is they didn't even mention anything negative about the Klingons or Trump. But you are all ready to decry this as some kind of slam against him. Why? Because you know that everyone else thinks he's a fucking moron. And you can't figure out why for much the same reason you think the original series episodes were somehow subtle about their social commentary. Connect the dots on that yourselves.

I can see your problem in recognizing tact when you see it. lol

I can see your problem in recognizing tact when you see it. lol

Nah, he's right. You two are likely too engrossed in the politics of your own time to see what an incident of Roddenberry slapping his progressive balls on the table the original series was. This new show has *nothing* on the ham fisted politically charged phenomenon that was ToS. There were episodes about genocide, Nazis, multiple heavy religious overtone episodes, commentaries on unions and various labour issues, women's rights, racial mixing, you name it. Star Trek had countless people *furious* when it got big and this new show isn't going to even come close to pushing buttons like the original did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back