Reaction score
Update: September 15, 2020

THE MANDALORIAN Season 2 Trailer Has Arrived; Returns October 30, 2020

Update: August 23, 2019

Trailers forStar Wars Spinoff TV Show THE MANDALORIAN on Disney+ [Updated]

November 9, 2017

STAR WARS Live-Action TV Series to Launch on Disney Streaming Service in 2019

zDx6rEk.jpg

Star Wars is getting the TV treatment with a forthcoming live-action series set to debut on Disney's streaming service. The still-untitled-service is set to launch in 2019.

Walt Disney Company chairman and CEO Bob Iger confirmed the project while on a quarterly earnings call with investors Thursday.

Additionally, Iger revealed that new TV series based on the 2001 Pixar film Monsters Inc. (which also spawned a 2013 sequel Monsters University) and the Disney Channel film franchise High School Musical will debut on the service.

The Star Wars franchise will also expand with the launch of a new trilogy of films from The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.

The new films will be separate from the continuing Skywalker saga and "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored," according to an official announcement made by LucasFilm, which is owned by Disney, Thursday. Johnson will write and direct the first film in the trilogy.

That new trilogy comes as Lucasfilm also has Solo: A Star Wars Story out May 25, 2018 and director J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode IX out Dec. 20, 2019. The Last Jedi is slated for release on Dec. 15.

n addition to original programming on the streaming service, Iger said on the call that Disney will consider licensing programming from third parties. He also noted that ABC Studios could end up producing for the new service. 'We've talked about that a bit," he said.

Although pricing is still being worked out, the plan is to offer the service for less than the price of Netflix, which currently costs $11 per month for its standard plan.

Disney's ESPN service, meanwhile, will launch in spring 2018 and will be called ESPN Plus, Iger confirmed on Thursday. The service will not include sports that currently air on ESPN.

'Star Wars' Live-Action TV Series to Launch on Disney Streaming Service in 2019

Star Wars is getting the TV treatment with a forthcoming live-action series set to debut on Disney's streaming service. The still-untitled-service is set to launch in 2019.

Walt Disney Company chairman and CEO Bob Iger confirmed the project while on a quarterly earnings call with investors Thursday.

Additionally, Iger revealed that new TV series based on the 2001 Pixar film Monsters Inc. (which also spawned a 2013 sequel Monsters University) and the Disney Channel film franchise High School Musical will debut on the service.

The Star Wars franchise will also expand with the launch of a new trilogy of films from The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.

The new films will be separate from the continuing Skywalker saga and "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored," according to an official announcement made by LucasFilm, which is owned by Disney, Thursday. Johnson will write and direct the first film in the trilogy.

That new trilogy comes as Lucasfilm also has Solo: A Star Wars Story out May 25, 2018 and director J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode IX out Dec. 20, 2019. The Last Jedi is slated for release on Dec. 15.

n addition to original programming on the streaming service, Iger said on the call that Disney will consider licensing programming from third parties. He also noted that ABC Studios could end up producing for the new service. 'We've talked about that a bit," he said.

Although pricing is still being worked out, the plan is to offer the service for less than the price of Netflix, which currently costs $11 per month for its standard plan.

Disney's ESPN service, meanwhile, will launch in spring 2018 and will be called ESPN Plus, Iger confirmed on Thursday. The service will not include sports that currently air on ESPN.

<{hfved}>

I'm ok with more star wars as Long we get new And interesting stories told

Loved the idea when Lucas was interested in bringing Star Wars to TV (Said the quality he wanted would cost too much at the time). Not sure I like it being solely on some Disney Netflix service. Hopefully they put real effort into it. Definitely intrigued.

I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but having it coming out in so many medians would only trivialize the movies

Line up Rosario Dawson for an Ahsoka show please!

This should be the textbook definition of cash grab from this day forward.

Good for them though, because people are gonna line up for the privilege of paying them.

I want some Mara Jade. There's very little chance of her showing up in what remains of Rebels, so this would be the perfect vehicle to bring her to life.

What say you @Dragonlordxxxxx, Master of Casting? Are you familiar with the character? Anyone comes to mind?

Other than the obvious Karen Gillan (MINE!!!), of course.

mara_jade_by_sketchymcdrawpants-d4qf9rw.jpg

mara_jade_skywalker_by_wraithdt.jpg

I bet this is going to end up on the new Disney streaming service if you want to watch it.

please no lol. lets leave ahsoka on the animated screen.
Yeah, I can see your point since we've pretty much seen her entire arc as a character. From a green padawan to an accomplished Force user taking on Vader and holding her own. So not much else they can delve into with her. I just like her character so would like to see a cameo or something at some point and a fight with her white lightsabers!

Well then I expect a full announcement with at least the cast soon unless fall 2019 launch. The only way I can see them doing this at this point with out any other announcement is weekly like Discovery not the all at once Netflix format.

no no im not buying a Disney streaming service

Yeah, I can see your point since we've pretty much seen her entire arc as a character. From a green padawan to an accomplished Force user taking on Vader and holding her own. So not much else they can delve into with her. I just like her character so would like to see a cameo or something at some point and a fight with her white lightsabers!

i havent (yet) watched TCW but i feel her sending off was a nice chapter on her charcater arc (considering what i read)

I want some Mara Jade. There's very little chance of her showing up in what remains of Rebels, so this would be the perfect vehicle to bring her to life.

What say you @Dragonlordxxxxx, Master of Casting? Are you familiar with the character? Anyone comes to mind?

Other than the obvious Karen Gillan (MINE!!!), of course.

mara_jade_by_sketchymcdrawpants-d4qf9rw.jpg

mara_jade_skywalker_by_wraithdt.jpg

Yes, I am familiar with Mara Jade. I've read a few Thrawn books in the past. For the actress, I'm going with a relative unknown - Jessica Rothe. I'm a fan of the actress from her work in Mary + Jane. I expect big things from her after Happy Death Day.

Jessica20Rothe209-54-1504788197.jpg

Yes, I am familiar with Mara Jade. I've read a few Thrawn books in the past. For the actress, I'm going with a relative unknown - Jessica Rothe. I'm a fan of the actress from her work in Mary + Jane. I expect big things from her after Happy Death Day.

Jessica20Rothe209-54-1504788197.jpg

Interesting choice. <mma4>

I'm only familiar with her work from Happy Death Day, but I can see it.

I liked the thought of Clone Wars/Rebels cartoon, but they just didn't seem that good.

I liked the thought of Clone Wars/Rebels cartoon, but they just didn't seem that good.
Clone Wars gets really good. I haven't see Rebels.

I am against the (inevitable) balkanizaton of streaming services so I will probably not see this. Bummer... I was dying to know Wedge Antilles' backstory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back