STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
No idea what you mean by "poor insight"
Surprise surprise.

It's poor insight because you don't accept the film as presented. You hated it for reasons not presented, citing "better" contingencies that did not happen. If Finn had a chance, which he didn't, it would have been better had he gotten his chance. You don't see how circular that is? You've already been woefully inconsistent, and refusing to accept the truth of that is what got you turned around. You don't know what you're talking about anymore than you know what I'm talking about.

And it's not next level thinking to say that I do. The only way I'm a next-level thinker is to lesser people -- to them, yeah, anything is upward trending and, to them, must be reviled for it. And that's pretty funny.

Yeah I hated the movie to the core, but I have to admit the cinematography was outstanding. Going hyperspace and ripping into a fleet was a visually great moment, but then I thought why the fuck didn’t they do this to all the Death Stars/Planets.....just put a robot in an x wing and hyperspace that bitch right through the middle of it. The scene with the gorilla walkers and rens ship in the middle looked awesome

What have you got against Droids, you monster? You wouldn't let your dog drive your car into an annoying congregation of bicyclists no matter how right it is -- that shit YOU DO YOURSELF.

This shit had me dying, yo, for good reason. Chewie flying the Falcon solo #duckseason!!

50.jpg

Haven't dropped in here in awhile, but I've seen this mentioned a few times, and the directors are introducing new concepts. Then fans are trying to apply these concepts retroactively, ie why didn't they kamikaze the Death Star at light speed before, would've been so much easier.

Same sort of stuff can be applied to the older movies. Luke in ROTJ, fights all those dudes at the Sarlacc Pit where he could've just Force pushed them all out of the way and been done with everything in seconds. But we hadn't seen that concept until ol Georgie introduced it into the Prequels. Clone Wars has Yoda lifting tanks and hurling them at battalions of battle droids. Now in ROTJ, Luke is supposed to be pretty damn powerful, and could've ended that Sarlacc fight quickly if we retroactively apply those concepts. He knows how to Force Jump, and apparently Force kick (kidding, that's a jab at the poor editing from ROTJ, where Luke doesn't even come close to kicking the dude)
giphy.gif

Did you watch Rebels? There were so many things in that series that were very cool but never seen before in films, where you can think, "why didn't they just do that in the original trilogy?" I personally loved Rebels, and prefer it over the Clone Wars, the last season, and the last 5 or 6 episodes had me more invested in that then perhaps any of the movies. But some of the concepts in those, if they were shown in the movies, the fans would be doing a "wtf did I just watch?" moment.

My point? We're gonna see a lot more things coming our way, even TLJ, Yoda Force Ghost can manipulate the real world when he summons the lightning. The books, comics, old legends all had stuff that we hadn't seen in films, and these directors are pulling from these sources. Luke's astral projection was a concept pulled from The Jedi Path, which is a non-canon book now but that is what's happening. We're gonna learn much more about this universe

Oh that, and DJ before he left disabled the front deflectors so that the First Order had no clue they were vulnerable to an attack

Kidding, i just made that up

REBELS is excellent, and although I find it laughable and target for humiliation I can understand the complaint to the degree that introducing new concepts is regarded as a violation of what is familiar. It's the same as thinking the film bad because Holdo and Leia "are condescending to men," because that's not supposed to be what STAR WARS means. The mistake is thinking the quoted text was what was intended, rather than a byproduct of a misapprehension.

The only sin is committing to the mistake against the benefit of the doubt, but the only one who loses there is the self. Sure, they've put a hold on STORY films and are rethinking their approach and might even fired the people in charge. But that's not because the movie is bad, just like #metoo allegations don't have to be factual before governing bodies react to the image of impropriety. These same guys are like "those #metoo bitches have no proof" and that's the same thing as complaining the scary girl has too much power in a sci-fi film!

REBELS is excellent, and although I find it laughable and target for humiliation I can understand the complaint to the degree that introducing new concepts is regarded as a violation of what is familiar. It's the same as thinking the film bad because Holdo and Leia "are condescending to men," because that's not supposed to be what STAR WARS means. The mistake is thinking the quoted text was what was intended, rather than a byproduct of a mistake.

The only sin is committing to the mistake against the benefit of the doubt, but the only one who loses there is the self. Sure, they've put a hold on STORY films and are rethinking their approach and might even fired the people in charge. But that's not because the movie is bad, just like #metoo allegations don't have to be factual before governing bodies react to the image of impropriety. These same guys are like "those #metoo bitches have no proof" and that's the same thing as complaining the scary girl has too much power in a sci-fi film!
Are they putting a hold on things? Did you see Disney's response today? Apparently everything's still a go, and several in the pipe too

Last edited:
Then fans are trying to apply these concepts retroactively, ie why didn't they kamikaze the Death Star at light speed before, would've been so much easier.

Yup, that gets into nit-pick territory for me.

Same with 'There's no gravity in space! So how did the bombers 'drop' the bombs?' To which I reply 'There was gravity on the ships, which is used to drop the bombs into space.'

And I had little problem with the porgs. They had two minutes of screentime, if that, and they were there to give Chewbecca the screentime he desperately needed.

These three issues - Lightspeed kamakaze, space gravity, & porgs - have been used to strawman critics of TLJ that we're a bunch of Star Wars nerds that like to bitch about every new movie that's released like it damaged our soul.

The SJW agenda, poor script, and turning Luke Skywalker into a cowardly pussy - are the real issues of the movie.

Same with 'There's no gravity in space! So how did the bombers 'drop' the bombs?' To which I reply 'There was gravity on the ships, which is used to drop the bombs into space.'

And I had little problem with the porgs. They had two minutes of screentime, if that, and they were there to give Chewbecca the screentime he desperately needed.

These three issues - Lightspeed kamakaze, space gravity, & porgs - have been used to strawman critics of TLJ that we're a bunch of Star Wars nerds that like to bitch about every new movie that's released like it damaged our soul.

The SJW agenda, poor script, and turning Luke Skywalker into a cowardly pussy - are the real issues of the movie.
Not gonna lie, my biggest gripe is Luke tossing that lightsaber over his shoulder. So excited to get it from Obi-Wan back in A New Hope, fought Vader with it, loses his hand, just thought they would have a better reunion with Luke and his Graflex.

From a fan that’s more into the adventure/action part of star wars that hyperspace scene even took me by surprise. It’s essentially the most powerful weapon at hand if used correctly....but yeah what they decided to do with Luke was travesty #1

Last edited:
From a fan that’s more into the adventure/action part of star wars that hyperspace scene even took me by surprise.

Same here, it was one of the few pleasing parts of TLJ.

And it killed the purple-hair bitch.

She'll be back as a force ghost, criticizing Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon. Anakin will be her servant force ghost

Last edited:

If I edited The Last Jedi down to scenes and moments that I'd be willing to watch again, I think I'd have about a 150-second feature film. Lightspeed kamikaze scene, Luke winks at C3PO, Luke getting blasted by the AT-AT walkers and brushing off his shoulder, final fight with Kylo Ren and fading away but cutting before he dies on the island. I think that's about it. I didn't even like the stuff in the throne room enough to watch again.

If I edited The Last Jedi down to scenes and moments that I'd be willing to watch again, I think I'd have about a 150-second feature film. Lightspeed kamikaze scene, Luke winks at C3PO, Luke getting blasted by the AT-AT walkers and brushing off his shoulder, final fight with Kylo Ren and fading away but cutting before he dies on the island. I think that's about it. I didn't even like the stuff in the throne room enough to watch again.
I don't even like most of that stuff. Star Wars shouldn't reference modern memes like a shoulder brush. I really hated the fight between Luke and Kylo, it was weird Matrix-esque dodging bullshit. Kamikaze scene looks cool in isolation but otherwise I hate the idea of it. So I guess that just leaves Luke winking at C3PO.

I too liked it at the time, but it was one of the issues that after a short amount of time leaving the theater, i ended up hating it.

I don't even like most of that stuff. Star Wars shouldn't reference modern memes like a shoulder brush. I really hated the fight between Luke and Kylo, it was weird Matrix-esque dodging bullshit. Kamikaze scene looks cool in isolation but otherwise I hate the idea of it. So I guess that just leaves Luke winking at C3PO.

I didn't take the shoulder brush as excessively "Millennial Modern" although it is possible, even likely, that that is how Rian Johnson intended it.

But brushing dust, etc. off your shoulders to right your appearance does go back a ways.

Yuck, am I on the verge of defending The Last Jedi here?

Surprise surprise.

It's poor insight because you don't accept the film as presented. You hated it for reasons not presented, citing "better" contingencies that did not happen. If Finn had a chance, which he didn't, it would have been better had he gotten his chance. You don't see how circular that is?

That makes no sense at all. You keep claiming Finn had no chance to make it. Are you psychic? Finn never got to attempt it because Rose stopped him. You have absolutely no idea if he could have made it or not. Even that being said what Rose did wouldn't make sense either way. Rose had no reason to believe that slamming her speeder into him would actually keep him alive.

What kind of argument is this that I need to "accept the film as presented"? I should ignore plot holes and bad writing because the film wants me to? I am speechless at the idea of that. I can imagine many scenarios that would be better than Rose slamming her speeder into Finn. I don't know how that is "circular".

You've already been woefully inconsistent, and refusing to accept the truth of that is what got you turned around. You don't know what you're talking about anymore than you know what I'm talking about.

And it's not next level thinking to say that I do. The only way I'm a next-level thinker is to lesser people -- to them, yeah, anything is upward trending and, to them, must be reviled for it. And that's pretty funny.

So here you make a claim without any evidence that I have been inconsistent and then you babble on about nothing at all. What the hell. Just stop.

{<jordan}

That's what you want to ask me? Whether I'm psychic, about a movie, that's already over, and the events explained.

Man I'm still laughing. That's what kills me about you people. Imagining what could have happened, should have happened, didn't happen in a movie. Talking all that good shit but ignoring what does happen in the movie, and can't appreciate the story of it. The story. Not life. Not other possibilities. This story. The story that happened. Then blame the film because it doesn't do whatever you tried to conjure up, and then sit and ask people to convince you otherwise knowing you have no intention coming down off this mountain of disappointment.
giphy.gif

{<jordan}

That's what you want to ask me? Whether I'm psychic, about a movie, that's already over, and the events explained.

You were making the claim that Finn had absolutely no chance to succeed in destroying the canon. You are making this claim based on no evidence which led me to asking if you are psychic because apparently only you know what would have happened if Rose had not stopped Finn. What does the movie being over already have to do with anything?

It doesn't help your case to ignore everything else I wrote there as well.

Last edited:
Man I'm still laughing. That's what kills me about you people. Imagining what could have happened, should have happened, didn't happen in a movie. Talking all that good shit but ignoring what does happen in the movie, and can't appreciate the story of it. The story. Not life. Not other possibilities. This story. The story that happened. Then blame the film because it doesn't do whatever you tried to conjure up, and then sit and ask people to convince you otherwise knowing you have no intention coming down off this mountain of disappointment.

My points are relating directly with what happened in the movie. If you are going to accuse me of something at least back it up somehow. It is true that I don't appreciate a bad story. I would say that most of the movie was very poorly written. It didn't relate well with the first movie, it used it's characters very very badly, had too many plot holes, and too many scenes that didn't make sense.

I never tried to say that the movie needed to do one specific thing. I'm claiming that what it did was irrational bad writing. I am guessing you are saying I am trying to "conjure up" Finn making it to the canon. But I don't really care if Finn made it to the canon or not. I care that they write scenes that make logical sense for the scene and for those characters. They could remove that terrible scene completely and It would be better than what they did.

I wanted to see if you wanted to try to defend one of the worst scenes in the movie. There was little chance you could change my mind on any of these points but definitely not with the arguments you have given so far.

giphy.gif

You may not be aware of this, but these conversations are not happening over in the avengers : infinity war thread.

Ask yourself why that is, give it some thought...possibly mull it over. And when you figure that out, come back to this thread and delete your dumbass posts.

Probably about the only saving grace move you could play at this point.

lol.

Back