STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
For the people that were not happy with the Luke storyline, what would you have preferred? I'm thinking if he would have left with Rey and trained her on the way and confronted Kylo and then gets killed. Wouldn't it have been just the same as Obi Wan?

I wouldve had him train her. Instead if Luke leaving yoda, she stays and perhaps crylo or snoke go to the island. Rey gets captured, Luke is left for dead, movie ends, with the good guys losing.

Empire esque but there are hardly any movies where tge bad guys win. Why not have star wars rekindle the fluttering flame.

This is sci fi. It should not be hard to write nor dazzle the senses.

Luke being a force projection the whole time, because of dying in the Ren incident would have been much better.

For the people that were not happy with the Luke storyline, what would you have preferred? I'm thinking if he would have left with Rey and trained her on the way and confronted Kylo and then gets killed. Wouldn't it have been just the same as Obi Wan?

Living at the end to continue to train Rey in the next movie and complete his storyline and to include him in redefining the Jedi. Or make the Luke prequel where he's dead.

tumblr_o0h0tpDsXA1v3bm9uo1_500.gif

Fun fact:

Some asshole made a petition on change.org in a fit of rage to "Have Disney strike Star Wars Episode VIII from the official canon."

Hes got 85k signatures as of right now.

i hope to god this shit feminist film is not cannon

In the last thing i believe I will say about this film for a long while, I believe there is still redemption possible. In the third movie, things could happen that redeem this movie. It wasn't poorly made, new/not such hardcore fans kind of liked it, and a few twists and explanations could redeem it, and even make people change some of their opinion on it.

The big reveal in the first trilogy was in the second movie, they could put a couple big reveals in the third this time. It's not too late Disney, I sense the conflict, you can still do what's right and turn to the light.

what would be the big reveal though there are redeeming qualities to the film. People dont like ren as the bad guy and no one wants him to be good after killing han.

Rey wins is the big reveal because shes unstoppable. If you make her lose well thats dumb to end a trilogy.

Really what could become of the third now? Snoke still alive because he was an astral form the whole time? Thats dumb too because his body didnt disappear

Watched it a second time and liked it much less this time. The story is just bad.

Ruined Star Wars for me in a way. Saw the original trilogy in the theaters. Been a big part of my mythos. Seeing this monstrosity......made me lose interest in the series as a whole, though Im sure I will see ep 9. Cant help myself. But where do they go from here? Rey will end up defeating Kylo or Kylo will turn good to help her and redeem himself against some other big bad(bring back Snoke please). All is well in the universe and the Jedi will start again with all the younglings(Disney consumers). Good guys win. Blah blah. Rey is like Space Jesus. Hell, shes more powerful than Jesus. Shes still young and had virtually no training. Imagine when shes Lukes age? Shell be ALL POWERFUL MARY SUE! Dumb dumb dumb.

Ruined Star Wars for me in a way. Saw the original trilogy in the theaters. Been a big part of my mythos. Seeing this monstrosity......made me lose interest in the series as a whole, though Im sure I will see ep 9. Cant help myself. But where do they go from here? Rey will end up defeating Kylo or Kylo will turn good to help her and redeem himself against some other big bad(bring back Snoke please). All is well in the universe and the Jedi will start again with all the younglings(Disney consumers). Good guys win. Blah blah. Rey is like Space Jesus. Hell, shes more powerful than Jesus. Shes still young and had virtually no training. Imagine when shes Lukes age? Shell be ALL POWERFUL MARY SUE! Dumb dumb dumb.

The twist might be that she turns to the darkside. She was a little angry in that snoke throne room. I feel like they wont touch on that shit.

by lukes age she will be god

I know you like that guy but if you check that last jedi thread on 2 different occasions i said something about star wars and he jumped on me. The first time i ignored him the 2nd time i fucked with him back
Luke.gif

Hmm, since TLJ shows he still has good in him (he didnt kill his mother) I think he should possibly take reign for the future gen of jedi and be somewhat a teacher for the padawans. But he needs some sort of redemption arc because him dying to Rey is simply boring and predictable as fuck. Maybe Snoke isn't exactly dead and he kills Rey and Kylo avenges her and returns to the good guys? I dont fucking know Im just spit balling man. Im just not buying into the whole REY VS KYLO main event as the trilogies climax.

Rey and Kylo as main event is just dumb. They killed that possibility in the first movie
Rey beat him in the first, she SAVES him in the 2nd, and then in the 3rd--where she presumably will know more about the Force via the jedi bibles Ren is going to put up a fight against her? No.
He can't be the big bad, and he can't kill Han and then redeem himself.
He didn't kill Snoke because Snoke was evil, he did it to gain power and be his own master. Lol you cant call the female protagonist that is trying to save your worthless life "nothing that came from drunk nothings" and then be a good guy. (And didn't he kill Luke's padawans?)
Completely irrideemable.

Almost anything would have been better than what they did. Too much time was wasted on making Luke grumpy old man, instead of having him actually do anything that was useful. Even a retread and making him go out like Obi would have been fine. It's not like TFA or TLJ was against revisiting old themes and ideas.

Luke as Supreme master of the light vs Snoke supreme master of the dark
Luke ACTUALLY trains Rey
Luke and Rey, or Leia confront Ren together to either reach him or apprehennd him
Leia dies and Luke takes over as leader of the rebellion

This is off the top of my head, and it all would have been better, more satisfying, and would have made more sense than having Luke be an old, asshole, and then die from the strain of astral projection
I mean seriously, lol of all the powers of the Force one would want to see a jedi master use, where the fuck would astral projection fall on the list?

so i just spoke to this star wars nerd and i was saying the way snoke went out was horrible and they should of had and epic fight scene with rey and kylo vs snoke or maybe if luke wasnt a bitch all 3 vs snoke. Have luke sacrafice himself in an epic way. instead we got rey and kylo vs hench men we have no fear of them losing because they are nobodies

His response to me was he loved when snoke went out and i didnt understand that fight scene because it was straight samurai.

I believe thats the level of intelligence that loves this movie

Watch This Cool Fan Video of Bruce Lee Using Lightsaber Nunchucks

Super late to this party. I like the ideas people float about on how the movie could've been better so here's mine. I feel the movie was trying to say something different but I don't know why they would even go this route at all since Star Wars is about wars, the Force, and personal choice. TLJ did stuff that made it all sound silly and that's business-suicide when you have such a lucrative franchise with a very understandable expectation from fans.

But I see where they might've been going and here's my thoughts on how it could've been made better.

Note: I am not a fan at all of Star Wars and don't hold any nostalgic feelings or even respect for the lore.

In the Star Wars plot holes thread I mentioned how I don't understand why the Force is held in such reverence. It's a power for good and evil equally and, if anything, is a competing conflict of Order and Chaos. So there's a theme of The Last Jedi where finally the characters question the Force and whether its usage is a good thing or bad. The movie does turn the franchise on its head but there's still one foot in the door in respect to the previous movies that TLJ is afraid of challenging and leaves status quo. It ends up in this awkward position where the arguments are wishy-washy and not given substance. See Captain America: Civil War where a questioning of super-hero adventurism is done well and entertainingly. And so the movie doesn't really say anything and relies on surprises and twists that prey on viewers expecting Empire Strikes Back.

So since one of the original inspirations of Star Wars were chambara films and the Jedi partially influenced by Bushido, I would've said let's just rip off one major theme from Seven Samurai to reinforce the message that I think TLJ was trying to get at. In that film, the samurai are giants but are also the single biggest problem for regular folks and society. Their internal conflicts cause strife and grief on farmers; people trying to make a decent living and just getting on with their lives. But even in this constant abuse, the regular folk persevere to win and the samurai are destined for inevitable irrelevance and doomed to be forgotten. People band together around their work (farming) and a more collective society forms with greater equality.

To reinforce this theme in TLJ wouldn't need a lot of changes to the scenes or the beats; just a tonal shift.

- Luke should have the same grievances with the Force but he shouldn't be in hiding. Let him be more like Kambei: a lone, poor, old, and honor-less samurai (because he cut his hair) yet still uses his skills and Bushido to save the poor and defenseless. Luke is on the rock because he's masterless; his role in the continued "Star Wars" is due to The Force and he believes that regular people have the power to conquer the Sith on their own and he sees his way as done. Ultimately, the Force always gets balanced anyway through major shit-storms (through Anakin, then Luke himself). But he should still be Jedi-like and save little kids and whatnot.

- Rey, as being this super-user of the force, should have some kind of lineage. Doesn't matter which one, just make it one where she belongs to a harmful yet doomed to be irrelevant class which will force her to make a choice. TLJ already has a bit of this notion but goes the opposite way; she's a nobody after all. But I much rather that she really is a somebody: Snoke's kid, Luke's kid, miraculous Force child, etc. because she'd be more interesting to have a theme of choice if she was destined, or doomed, to be a Jedi or a Sith, and whether she even has a choice to decide anything at all. For her the question is not Light Side / Dark Side but rather stepping out of all of that nonsense (Kylo's choice). But as it stands, that choice is less dramatic since there's nothing to tie her to any kind of legacy and so nothing holds her back from making any kind of decision. Kylo is a better character because he does have that lineage.

- How Kylo is set up though, this theme gets lost. Since he's pretty much Vader 2.0 and all the "Grandfather" stuff, he's neck-deep in legacy and his rebellion against Snoke makes sense in a Sith-murder kind of way, or a "is he still able to come back to the Light side" kind of way, not in the way where he rejects any "old" ways. But we need a bad-guy and I don't mind his treatment because he's treacherous and capable but not limited to the same rules that Vader and the Emperor had (namely not having to have a one-on-one lightsaber duel with the main protagonist).

- What would've been really cool is Snoke was really a force ghost all along that whispers in Kylo's ear to make him go crazy. If Yoda, Qui-Gon, Obi-wan, Anakin are all force ghosts, why not some ancient Sith?

- Finn, Poe, and the rest are all filler but are necessary because they are the regular people. They represent what is supposed to be protected. It ain't Jedi. It's Alderaan and their likes from getting blown up by a massive planet-destroying laser. Their failures are actually good because if anybody needs to look like they're in the dark and vulnerable, it's them. But making Leia a force user is ridiculous and betrays the spirit of regular folks, species from all corners, banding together in a rebel alliance. If their leadership is a Jedi or Force user, it doesn't serve the story at all.

- Luke needed to go out fighting with a light-saber. We need to see that he chose to go out as a Jedi because this movie, after all, is called the Last fucking Jedi and that ultimately his choice was to serve the Light side. If the old ways are done, then let it be done through him. He could've even died for very little or even nothing. But he needed to go out by testing the perfection of his skills and for his own personal code and without fear; like a samurai. The force projection is nothing but writers needing a plot device to get past a stuck and make shit up as they go.

Aside from that, I really wouldn't change all that much.

Back