STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Kathleen Kennedy being signed for 3 more years.

A study saying all the hate for The Last Jedi was 'because of Russian Trolls.'

Disney, how many times this week are you going to stab yourself in the dick?

I glanced over the study. It only looked at 1200 tweets or so and determined that only about 20% were negative, and half of those were either bots, Russians, trolls, or 'politically motivated' lol. What a crock of shit.

The movie sucked, and most people didn't hate it because of 'feminism' or 'SJW' shit. They hated it because it was a poorly written disaster, and with a budget of infinity billion dollars, that's just plain unacceptable

I glanced over the study. It only looked at 1200 tweets or so and determined that only about 20% were negative, and half of those were either bots, Russians, trolls, or 'politically motivated' lol. What a crock of shit.

The movie sucked, and most people didn't hate it because of 'feminism' or 'SJW' shit. They hated it because it was a poorly written disaster, and with a budget of infinity billion dollars, that's just plain unacceptable

And they properly and appropriately hated it because feminism and sjw shit as well. Yes, whatever study you are citing, has been funded to lie.

Oh, and the author is sowewhat clueless too. As an example of a homophobic tweet the author references a tweet to Seth Rogan saying something along the lines of 'wanna know how I know you're gay? You liked Last Jedi.'

The author completely missed that this tweet is a reference to Seth Rogans character in the 40 Year Old Virgin. What a dumbass.

I wonder how many other tweets were inappropriately categorized?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...targeted-by-russian-trolls-study-says-1148475

I always knew sherdog is full of bots, I just didn't know they are russian. :D

I think this really does highlight what I'v said previously that Hollywood is increasingly acting as an outgrowth of recent political/media culture.

Its not that I think films like TFA or TLS(or the Ghostbusters remake) have much to say politically(Hilary Clinton wasn't exactly radical either though being firmly establishment "business as usual") but that they basically look to sell themselves on tokenism and negative claims about their critics. I mean there are doubtless some people who dislike the films due to bigotry but I think these people were basically deliberately courted, wave a red rag infront of them so that any negative reaction to the film can then be talked up as bigotry. I think you can see how planned this was by the way the media reacted to criticism of TLS, the talk of bigots, trolls and manipulation started within a day or two of release.

Just as in politics though I think were seeing the media overestimating its ability to control its audience along these lines. These people love to talk about others living in bubbles but really they are the most obvious example, we've seen time after time in recent years they've failed to achieve their stated aim yet they dig in their heels and refuse to change. The ineference of Russian involvement is becoming so universal its like bad comedy, I get the sense if these people lose their keys they blame Putin.

Last edited:
The plinkett review of TLJ was good and well put together, and definitely wasn’t a made by a “Russian Bot” lmao.

The hate comes from fans not getting what they wanted from the movie. That’s it.

People have wanted to see Luke return for like 40 years and didn’t want to see him as a broken old man. It didn’t bother me...but that’s all there is too it.

The Last Jedi needed more light saber duels.

The Last Jedi needed more light saber duels.

Says the patriarchy..

We had an Asian girl going desperate with the Mary sue black guy.. Who might be in a thing with the white female lead, but it's on the DL..

We had the teenage girl who doesn't need wisdom because she knows everything of course..

We had the animals are more important than poor children.. if you make a cause out of it..

We had the moment where we saw that Poe was going to be ok at work, when the women said "I like him."

We had the white bad men looking stupid..

We had the untrained girl beat up the last jedi..

We had purple haired representation of weirdo feminism die a heroes death, while old (the past must die) admiral ackbar who probably sold a million in merchandise is just erased..

We had the last white male Jedi depressed and alone, acting like his life was a failure after he already saved the galaxy once..

We had him beat up with a stick by the all knowing, all powerful teenage girl.

What in the hell would we need light sabre duels for??

Says the patriarchy..

We had an Asian girl going desperate with the Mary sue black guy.. Who might be in a thing with the white female lead, but it's on the DL..

We had the teenage girl who doesn't need wisdom because she knows everything of course..

We had the animals are more important than poor children.. if you make a cause out of it..

We had the moment where we saw that Poe was going to be ok at work, when the women said "I like him."

We had the white bad men looking stupid..

We had the untrained girl beat up the last jedi..

We had purple haired representation of weirdo feminism die a heroes death, while old (the past must die) admiral ackbar who probably sold a million in merchandise is just erased..

We had the last white male Jedi depressed and alone, acting like his life was a failure after he already saved the galaxy once..

We had him beat up with a stick by the all knowing, all powerful teenage girl.

What in the hell would we need light sabre duels for??
<mma4>

I think this really does highlight what I'v said previously that Hollywood is increasingly acting as an outgrowth of recent political/media culture.

Its not that I think films like TFA or TLS(or the Ghostbusters remake) have much to say politically(Hilary Clinton wasn't exactly radical either though being firmly establishment "business as usual") but that they basically look to sell themselves on tokenism and negative claims about their critics. I mean there are doubtless some people who dislike the films due to bigotry but I think these people were basically deliberately courted, wave a red rag infront of them so that any negative reaction to the film can then be talked up as bigotry. I think you can see how planned this was by the way the media reacted to criticism of TLS, the talk of bigots, trolls and manipulation started within a day or two of release.

Just as in politics though I think were seeing the media overestimating its ability to control its audience along these lines. These people love to talk about others living in bubbles but really they are the most obvious example, we've seen time after time in recent years they've failed to achieve their stated aim yet they dig in their heels and refuse to change. The ineference of Russian involvement is becoming so universal its like bad comedy, I get the sense if these people lose their keys they blame Putin.

I just saw the tweet / article and decided to share it to good old sherdog cause I know people around this parts appreciate info and drama.

Oh they are hamming it up that's for sure. If I was playing D on their marketing team I might go with those low hanging fruits too.

Yet that doesn't mean it's all squeaky clean. This and that rotten tomatoes incident and maybe there is something fishy here. Yet I blame China (you guys saw those low box office results) not Russia hehe I'm just joking.

Fact is most people that liked the movie don't hang around and fight of the ones that disliked it, that's not how things work it's up to the party of those with problems to take time on forums and social media to express their feeling but for some it has morphed into their little hate circle that they nit pick every news they see and tell each other over and over how disappointed they were with the movie. Now take this people and add the usual trolls that found a nice spot to jam themselves in, add them bots and then let it cook. :D It's alright things will slowly change, steam will be lost by April, by the first trailer, etc.. until its time to buy that ticket and go in to see Episode 9, see you guys there.

tumblr_p0amdzL4eD1tjjuglo2_500.gif

Last edited:
The reality is of course most people who liked or disliked the film don't post about it nearly as much on the net as we here do and of those that those driven by politics are also more likely to post about it on the net for both sides.

That we just had the first Starwars flop in Solo though I think does clearly suggest that a strong negative reaction exists. The idea that franchises success often depends on reaction to the previous film is I think pretty well established.

It does feel very of the times though that this failure is basically being put down to "bigots and Putin" and no real change is happening.

I just saw the tweet / article and decided to share it to good old sherdog cause I know people around this parts appreciate info and drama.

Oh they are hamming it up that's for sure. If I was playing D on their marketing team I might go with those low hanging fruits too.

Yet that doesn't mean it's all squeaky clean. This and that rotten tomatoes incident and maybe there is some fishy here. Yet I blame China (you guys saw those low box office results) not Russia hehe I'm just joking.

Fact is most people that liked the movie don't hang around and fight of the ones that disliked it, that's not how things work it's up to the party of those with problems to take time on forums and social media to express their feeling but for some it has morphed into their little hate circle that they nit pick every news they see and tell each other over and over how disappointed they were with the movie. Now take this people and add the usual trolls that found a nice spot to jam themselves in, add them bots and then let it cook. :D It's alright things will slowly change, steam will be lost by April, by the first trailer, etc.. until its time to buy that ticket and go in to see Episode 9, see you guys there.

tumblr_p0amdzL4eD1tjjuglo2_500.gif
this ^

The ironic thing really is that if you were to come up with a name for films like TLJ I think it would actually be "Troll Cinema". I would differentiate it from films like Aliens or more recently Fury Road that addressed gender issues with some kind of political weight to them, rather its cinema that's pretty empty but looks to play to peoples existing biases.

Just as with a troll its actually both reactions that are desired, the positive reaction comes far more easily than it would via making your case well, I mean I could come up with a long thread on Sherdog about why I feel Fedor in the GOAT going into great detail or I could just post "Anderson was a PED using duck LOL" and get just as many or more replys with a lot less effort. The negative side though is I think just as desired because it can be spun, simplistic trolling will naturally draw out simplistic responses from people with more questionable views. I post the afore mentioned Anderson thread here and most likely I'll get a lot of "STFU you Pride fanboy" which I could then spin "look at these UFC hype drones everyone sensible knows Fedor is the GOAT". I post the well thought out Fedor thread though and more likely I get well thought out rebuttals I need to address.

Basically these starwars sequels end up being "Look heres a female lead in Starwars, what do you think of that you bigoted assholes?" or more recently "Look heres some mansplaining!", clearly fishing for easy praise and drawing out negative responses rather than actually looking to make a case onscreen. Not that any film with a female or minority lead in it needs to put weight behind that issue but theres a difference between someone like Rogue One that casts the character that way and TFA and TLJ that deliberately try to troll for attention with it whilst having no real weight behind them.

So yeah theres a lot of simplistic dog whisle politics being posted around TLS but that's exactly what was intended by its creators. Meanwhile those creators and there media allies can ignore that a lot of people just dislike it because they thought it was a confused mess of a film. Unfortunately for Disney they can't ignore it when these people don't turn up at the cinema anymore.

Last edited:
The ironic thing really is that if you were to come up with a name for films like TLJ I think it would actually be "Troll Cinema".

Considering the focus on fuel....I prefer "Star War: The Last Gallon"

The ironic thing really is that if you were to come up with a name for films like TLJ I think it would actually be "Troll Cinema". I would differentiate it from films like Aliens or more recently Fury Road that addressed gender issues with some kind of political weight to them, rather its cinema that's pretty empty but looks to play to peoples exists biases.

"Troll cinema." I like it.

the-hound-tormund.jpg

Ready to see how much money episode 9 loses compared to 7 & 8. Downward trends are never a good thing.

What if a smaller but significant subset of people just really did not like the movie. Does everything have to be ulterior motive and nefarious scheme?

I think what happened here is someone saw the discrepancy between critic reviews and internet fan reaction and thought- whoa, that makes no sense let’s find a way to explain it.

It’s missing the point. I’d wager more people liked TLJ than disliked it but I get the vibe that the majority of the people who liked it- liked it in the, oh it was entertaining enough. It was diverting and had some cool scenes. I think the people who disliked it were more passionate in their disappointment than many people were in their enjoyment of it. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I found the movie entertaining in spots but it has a bunch of issues.

Back