STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Why would he put the mask back on

It would be a devolution of his character

Oh wait the new writing sucks so he almost certainly have it back on

lol

His helmet is Knights of Ren battle gear design...it was never intended to be "Vader 2.0" or "vader copycat"...that's just Rian Johnson responding to fans.

His helmet has practical use...it's armor.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
maxresdefault.jpg

hj7hip5satl01.jpg

I hope they all remove their masks and reveal Timothy Spall, Steve Buscemi, Toby Jones, Charles Martin Smith and Clint Howard.

lol

His helmet is Knights of Ren battle gear design...it was never intended to be "Vader 2.0" or "vader copycat"...that's just Rian Johnson responding to fans.

His helmet has practical use...it's armor.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't wars Vader's mask ramade in the next movie

Watch it be in the trailer

They have to do something to trick people into watching this

I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't wars Vader's mask ramade in the next movie

Watch it be in the trailer

They have to do something to trick people into watching this
They will never let go of Vader imagery for marketing...ever.

If you don't take your kids to Star Wars 9 you might as well just sign them up for the Hitler Youth as far as I'm concerned.

I know that if I don't, they will transform into troll-bots who aren't even people in the eyes of the media, but it's my choice to make..

Sorry but this for me is a classic example of someone looking to shoehorn in story elements they wish had been in the film but actually weren't, the idea that Luke is playing the waiting game and building wisdom on his island, the idea that he doesn't actually think Kylo is irredeemable are I think exactly that.

As I'v said before I strongly suspect that the biggest flaw in TLJ might well be studio pressure behind the scenes on Rian Johnson as to me the film feels like its building in certain directions but ultimately cops out on them. I mean ESB back in the day was a brave film, it took our expectations of Luke as a standard "believe in yourself" style chosen one hero and it ripped them up. TLJ recycling elements of Luke's story from ESB and ROTJ is a less effective fashion isn't brave its simply unoriginal IMHO.

A version of TLJ that had the balls of ESB would IMHO have had Luke actually moving away from the idea of Jedi and Sith and the black and white idea of good and evil it represents. We get some small hints at that early on but ultimately the film never backs them up and I suspect the reason is Disney were afraid to turn their backs on the status quo. The whole Luke/Ben story could I think have been so much more effective going that direction(which I suspect might have been the original intension), rather than just doing a poorly setup reworking of Vader in ROTJ with the reverse outcome we could have been shown a different aspect in which Luke failed. He might try and redeem Ben but he's left with a situation where he can't fully remove the darkness from him and rejects him as a result leading to confrontation and his fully turning.

Equally I think Rey's character feels like it cops out in the same fashion. The whole story with Kylo seems to be building towards her joining him yet ultimately she rejects him and the two characters retreat to even more simplistic good/evil positions. Unlike Lucas Johnson/Disney were not prepared to move past their simplistic hero character and in clinging to her they basically destroy much of the dramatic depth the film might have. To me this very strongly smells of marketing men pointing to charts with "strong female character" and "profit" on them yet ultimately by killing the depth of the character I think they've made it forgettable.

Indeed the giveaway is really that the climax of the film isn't about Rey at all, her lifting some rocks is a bad punchline at best with no weight to it that feels like it was written on the back of a napkin. Luke has to take centre stage rather than being a mentor of wisdom because Rey has had any dramatic potential removed.

Honestly I do think you get the sense in TLJ at points that yes Johnson is a skilled director who could have made a quality film(unlike prequel era Lucas or Abrams) but I suspect the main thing holding that back was a lack of freedom in scripting and in feeling forced to carry on with Abrams childish disrespectful meta tone from TFA. Ontop of that perhaps also simply a lack of time in terms of scripting.

I don't know how anyone can say Rian didn't take risks in this SW movie.

Risk wise this has more then all the other 3 Disney era SW movies combined... and guess what it is bashed for going out there against the easy way out / fan service fest wanted by some.

Don't worry guys, the people that liked Ep. 8 will still be there to see it opening weekend and for the rest that didn't like it this next one will be specifically designed to answer and cater to those complains cause that's how Hollywood makes those big bucks.. incoming feel good moments full of fast pace action and lightsaber on lightsaber fights.. plus something cool from ghost Luke.

A few days away shy of the 1 year anniversary of the movie, the talk seems to still be present so I guess they did something right after all. :D

rian-johnson-star-wars-the-last-jedi-influences.jpg

A few days away shy of the 1 year anniversary of the movie, the talk seems to still be present so I guess they did something right after all. :D

rian-johnson-star-wars-the-last-jedi-influences.jpg

The talk is definitely there for VIII.

But when people are talking more about VIII then speculating about IX....something is off.

2 years ago at this time fans were having a blast talking about what could possibly happen with the Knights of Ren, Snoke, is Lando gonna be there, will Rey end up using a double edged lightsaber, will there be a time jump, will Finn have some programming in him that will make him betray the resistance, but most importantly...how awesome will Luke be?

Now...it's more like...we don't have much to talk about with IX because the story threads built from this ST have been shut down by Rian.

The Episode IX thread is dead. I've tried to revive it multiple times.

The Avengers 4 thread has been one of the most active for the past 6+ months.

The talk is definitely there for VIII.

But when people are talking more about VIII then speculating about IX....something is off.

2 years ago at this time fans were having a blast talking about what could possibly happen with the Knights of Ren, Snoke, is Lando gonna be there, will Rey end up using a double edged lightsaber, will there be a time jump, will Finn have some programming in him that will make him betray the resistance, but most importantly...how awesome will Luke be?

Now...it's more like...we don't have much to talk about with IX because the story threads built from this ST have been shut down by Rian.

The Episode IX thread is dead. I've tried to revive it multiple times.

The Avengers 4 thread has been one of the most active for the past 6+ months.

Well we need a tittle, we need a teaser, a poster and off we go in full force.

What exactly is there to talk about Avengers ? "the snap" c'mon now it's just silly 90% of them will be back maybe even more the only ones in danger are the ones that are getting to old and more importantly asking for too much money like Iron Man. I really enjoyed IW but more for the interactions and moments not for the story or plot line or what happens next this to me won't be a movie that I think about or re-watch 5-10 years down the line.

In our SW indeed we don't have the big mystery of Rey's parents / Luke anticipation etc.. yes less talking points because it all feels more open so we need some sort of focus from the LucasFilm, it is different then usual and maybe that's a good thing we can really be taken for a ride I had an idea what if I stay away from any promotional material and just go in totally blind but the temptation will be too big it's not realistic for me thinking at it more clear.

PS: I think we will probably get that double edge lightsaber in this one.. at leas it's a valid option and I'm not exactly sure we can close the book on Rey's parents it wasn't sold 100% it was just the Kylo line and Rey's reaction there is some room there to maneuver if they really wish, depends.

Well we need a tittle, we need a teaser, a poster and off we go in full force.

What exactly is there to talk about Avengers ? "the snap" c'mon now it's just silly 90% of them will be back maybe even more the only ones in danger are the ones that are getting to old and more importantly asking for too much money like Iron Man. I really enjoyed IW but more for the interactions and moments not for the story or plot line or what happens next this to me won't be a movie that I think about or re-watch 5-10 years down the line.

In our SW indeed we don't have the big mystery of Rey's parents / Luke anticipation etc.. yes less talking points because it all feels more open so we need some sort of focus from the LucasFilm, it is different then usual and maybe that's a good thing we can really be taken for a ride I had an idea what if I stay away from any promotional material and just go in totally blind but the temptation will be too big it's not realistic for me thinking at it more clear.

PS: I think we will probably get that double edge lightsaber in this one.. at leas it's a valid option and I'm not exactly sure we can close the book on Rey's parents it wasn't sold 100% it was just the Kylo line and Rey's reaction there is some room there to maneuver if they really wish, depends.
Rumor has it Rey will get her 3rd lesson in a some temple in the jungle from Luke, a Luke with shorter hair and no beard and wearing Jedi robes. And that 3rd lesson has to do with building a new lightsaber. Whether he's a Force Ghost or not is unconfirmed.

Mark Hamill did shave his beard off right before filming.

Only 1 thing: I hope this doesn't mean IX takes place shortly after TLJ.....this ST needs a long time jump in order to feel epic in scale (as it stands now we are only days into this story...maybe a week at most).

Rumor has it Rey will get her 3rd lesson in a some temple in the jungle from Luke, a Luke with shorter hair and no beard and wearing Jedi robes. And that 3rd lesson has to do with building a new lightsaber. Whether he's a Force Ghost or not is unconfirmed.

Mark Hamill did shave his beard off right before filming.

Only 1 thing: I hope this doesn't mean IX takes place shortly after TLJ.....this ST needs a long time jump in order to feel epic in scale (as it stands now we are only days into this story...maybe a week at most).

They already did the 'want happens next right after' angle now it's time for a time skip maybe a year or two easily.

Time to get power ups for both our new force users in the downtime just how Luke had his in Ep 6.

Yeah, I wanna see Kylo being the bad ass we are told he is. We saw glimpses of it in TFA .

Plus one for the art department but minus several million for good scripting I suspect.

Maybe they should have introduced the Knights of Ren at some point in the second film rather than just save them for the third movie where they will inevitably have to cram a ton of stuff and resolve a plot in a way that somehow manages to be coherent and interesting.

Back