STARGIRL Live-Action Series (First Look at Stargirl in Costume)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
DC Universe Adds STARGIRL Live-Action Series from Geoff Johns and Greg Berlanti

7mXsWkz.jpg

DC Universe is making a big splash at San Diego Comic-Con. The forthcoming subscription video on demand platform opened the confab with a first look at its scripted originals with Titans and on Thursday afternoon unveiled its sixth overall series: a live-action Stargirl.

Geoff Johns, who revealed the news during his spotlight panel, will write and exec produce the 13-episode scripted original series via his Mad Ghost Productions banner. The drama hails from Warner Bros. Television and Greg Berlanti's studio-based Berlanti Productions, with Sarah Schechter also serving as an exec producer. The series will bow in 2019.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The series reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in a fun, exciting and unpredictable series.

Johns and Lee Moder created the character, who was named after the former's sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800. The character made her first appearance in July 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

In making the announcement, Johns addressed his recent departure as DC's chief creative offer and noted that he would have not been able to write such a deeply personal series if he were still in that role. "It’s so personal for me, and to create and run my show … this is the kind of opportunity that I’ve couldn’t have had if I had stayed in that role," Johns said of the series, which he said would be a "PG-13 show."

"This is based on my sister. The character is fun and optimistic," he added of the series, about a girl whose mom remarries and moves to a new town where she discovers that her step-father was a superhero a long time ago. "It's about bringing back the legacy of the Justice Society," he noted of DC's first superhero team from the comics first published in the 1940s.

'Stargirl' Live-Action Drama From Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns Joins DC Universe Slate

Is this a period series? The article keeps referencing villains from the past and the roots of the comic but doesn't specifically say when it's set.

This is what we've all been asking for!

I'm so excited!

Eh, I trust Johns to an extent and if it's not on CW I'll check it out.

This is the character based off his deceased sister, right?

Then you bet he's going to do what he can to ensure it doesn't suck.

I guess Power Girl was the one with the big tittie cleavage.

Eh, I trust Johns to an extent and if it's not on CW I'll check it out.

This is the character based off his deceased sister, right?

Then you bet he's going to do what he can to ensure it doesn't suck.
Then his first order of business should be to keep Berlanti far, far away.

"Sophmore in HS"

Who's gonna watch this besides pedos?

They need to stop pretending chicks can fight.

Oh. I thought this was gonna be based on the book Star Girl lol. Kinda disappointed.

Update: September 20, 2018

Bella and the Bulldog Star Brec Bassinger Cast as the Lead in DC Universe's STARGIRL

rGa1tDt.jpg

DC Universe and Geoff Johns have found their Stargirl. Brec Bassinger, best known for starring in Nickelodeon's Bella and the Bulldogs, has been tapped to play the title role in the streaming service's straight-to-series drama Stargirl.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Bassinger) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The series reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America. The character was the first created by Johns in 1999 and launched his career as a comic book writer. He named the character after his sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800. The character made her first appearance in July 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

"There is no other character in comic books more special to me than Stargirl, and after searching far and wide I can say there is no other actor on the planet that embodies her more than Brec Bassinger. Brec's warmth, strength, humor and positive energy are core to who Courtney Whitmore is. I'm so grateful she's signed on for the role," Johns said.

The character is described as smart, athletic and kind. This high school teenager's seemingly perfect life hits a major speed bump when her mother gets married and her new family moves from Los Angeles to Blue Valley, Nebraska. Struggling to adapt to her school, make friends and deal with a stepfamily, Courtney discovers her stepfather has a secret: He used to be the sidekick to a superhero. "Borrowing" the long-lost hero's cosmic staff, Courtney becomes the unlikely inspiration for an entirely new generation of superheroes.

Johns exec produces the Warner Bros. TV-produced series alongside Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Johns will pen the pilot.

For her part, Bassinger spent two seasons (39 episodes) starring as Bella in the live-action Nickelodeon comedy Bella and the Bulldogs. Her credits include Hulu's All Night and recurring roles in The Haunted Hathaways, School of Rock, The Goldbergs and Code Black. She filmed multiple pilots and a feature (Liar Liar Vampire) for Nickelodeon.

DC Universe, which launched this month, is a subscription video-on-demand service that features original scripted programming as well as a library of TV and film content, all in the DC Entertainment universe.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...r-star-geoff-johns-dc-universe-series-1145751

I know absolutely nothing about this character. Can't say I have any real desire to change that.

They should scrap this and do a Deathstroke series.

deathstroke%2B%231.jpg

They should scrap this and do a Deathstroke series.

deathstroke%2B%231.jpg
I seem to remember Manu being up to play the character again if it were for an R-rated series on a streaming service rather than the CW. I'd love to see that, he was consistently the best part of his episodes on Arrow.

Can't tell from the pic if the actress has sufficient sized boobies to represent a super hero woman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back