Started my own MMA gym, need help!

Sentinel.MMA

White Belt
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I am a longtime Sherdog poster, I remember reading Galltik's thread about how he started his own gym. I have been training for several years, but hold no rank in any style. I recieved a bb from my former teacher in his "system" but that is kinda bullshit. I always wanted my own place and when my former school closed shop, I decided to try my own "training facility", since I am not qualified to teach anything I envisioned a place where people could come and share knowledge and train. Everyone from our old school said they would join (since we were running the place anyway), and several of my "friends" and brother said they would help out.

We are located near one the biggest military bases in the US and there really isn't any other MMA gym around, so I thought it would be a piece of cake.

I was able to find an old dance studio with about 1300 sq. ft. broken up with an office, entryway, 2 bathrooms and an 800sq ft. studio. It I was able to get a deal for $800/mnth. added phone, internet, utilities, and hvac contract comes out to about $1100/mnth.

We had lots of friends show up for the open house. Mostly friends and their friends. I have about 8 people signed up, but they barely come, and I can't seem to get anyone else to come and try it, even for free.

I have limited money to spend on advertising, so radio is out of the question, I have business cards.

What would you guys do? How did you get people in Galltik?

I will post pics, and maybe I can get a sticky.

You can try putting up flyers everywhere. See how that goes. It wouldn't hurt marketing to schools in the area.

Here is what I started with.

Camera050.jpg

Camera052.jpg

Camera051.jpg

I had the leasing company take down the bars and the mirrors.

I then went to work on equipment.

I decided on Dollamur mats since they come in rolls and didn't need framing. I got the 2" judo/mma mats. I like them very much, but they aren't very durable. I double-legged my girlfriend and when she stood up her heal almost went throught the mat, now there is a decent gash where it happened.

The mats come in 6 foot width by whatever length you want rolls, and all together for about 700 sq. ft. it cost %4500

I bought 3 thai bags for $99 each from CSI.

3 sets of thai pads for $30/pair which aren't very good pads, also from CSI.

I got 3 body protectors from Ringside for $49/each.

130lb. throwing dummy also from CSI for $120.

A zebra throwing mat for about $349.

An everlast interval timer for $149 from everlast.

4 pairs of 14 ounce training gloves for $39 each, from Ringside

4 pairs of 12 ounce bag gloves for $29 from Ringside

I didn't take any during pics since it only took one day, but this is what we ended up with.

Camera080.jpg

Camera081.jpg

Camera082.jpg

Maybe you should open up a website. Nothing to fancy. Just present the main selling points (classes, instructors, etc.).

Maybe you should open up a website. Nothing to fancy. Just present the main selling points (classes, instructors, etc.).

We don't really have any instructors, I know a decent amount, but like I said i'm not qualified to teach anything and have never fought. I wouldn't want to be a mcdojo. I prefer to leave it as a training facility. I also am clueless when it comes to websites, I don't even know where to start. I had T-shirts made though. I will post pics.

my advice is get some pads up on the walls unless one of your friends is a drywaller.Find a good fighter in your town or nearby and try to get him to train with him usually good guys have a harem of guys who want to train with them.Find so kind of coaching to start classes or have your girl teach cardio kickboxing or kids classes thats where the money is and if you get some fighters they can train around your cash cows.If you don't hAve anything as far as classes to offer you just have a place to hang out and train....

It isn't very big. I was teaching kids at our old school so i'm thinking about starting that up. The fuckers that owned our old school were going out of business and wouldn't let me take any of the kids with me. What kind of selfish shit is that? I would go to schools but I don't wanna be that creepy dude that's always talking to kids or anything.

My friends are kinda put off by the lack of people and have slowly started missing more and more days, and these are the people that said they were die-hard about helping as much as possible. I don't even care about making money I just wanna break even and have a place to train.

my advice is get some pads up on the walls unless one of your friends is a drywaller

I plan on getting wall pads, but I am hesitant until I get more people in here. All the equipment cost like $8000, and I went ahead and paid off a year's rent which was $9600, so I don't wanna invest too much more until I get more people in.

pretty sweet setup bro

sorry i dont really have any advice but good luck with everything

Back