Starz's BLACK SAILS (Season 4 Discussion)

Loved this show.

Loved the finale, in particular the denouement. They did a masterful job of concluding each character's story, it was incredibly interesting and satisfying.

The relationship between Flint and Silver is one of my favorites in television. Both actors were fantastic and they were extraordinarily well written. While I loathe the fact every show these days puts so much emphasis on trust and betrayal, no show has done it as well as this one, right up until the very end. Subtle, disciplined writing with possibly the most nuanced resolution in recent memory.

I'll miss Schmitz as Rackham. He served as both the unofficial narrator of the show, and the character who made the most sense in almost every situation. Excellent character and sublime performance, look forward to seeing him in other projects.

It's a shame so few people saw this show, and I cannot believe this is the first comment following the series finale.

If you liked the show, tell people about it. Get them to watch it and talk about it. We need more shows like this and that won't happen in a vacuum.

Legit sad about this. There's really nothing else like this show. Going to really miss seeing Toby Stephens on TV. That guy is a joy to watch. Would love to see him get another big role. Dude can give a hell of a speech. Luke Arnold really came into his own too. Would love to see either of them in a Game of Thrones spin off. Really think if this show was on HBO it would be massive.

Anyways about the finale. Gotta think Flint dies, but I hope it's glorious. Other than that there's nothing they can do really. This show has been so amazing nothing in the finale can change that for me. Just missing it already. Sucks.

Loved this show.

Loved the finale, in particular the denouement. They did a masterful job of concluding each character's story, it was incredibly interesting and satisfying.

The relationship between Flint and Silver is one of my favorites in television. Both actors were fantastic and they were extraordinarily well written. While I loathe the fact every show these days puts so much emphasis on trust and betrayal, no show has done it as well as this one, right up until the very end. Subtle, disciplined writing with possibly the most nuanced resolution in recent memory.

I'll miss Schmitz as Rackham. He served as both the unofficial narrator of the show, and the character who made the most sense in almost every situation. Excellent character and sublime performance, look forward to seeing him in other projects.

It's a shame so few people saw this show, and I cannot believe this is the first comment following the series finale.

If you liked the show, tell people about it. Get them to watch it and talk about it. We need more shows like this and that won't happen in a vacuum.

Great write up. This show was so epic from the effects to the relationships and they make the big moments feel really...well...big. I've told as many people that will listen and have gotten at least 3-5 people hooked on it. Starz just doesn't have that HBO exposure. Sad because this might be my favorite show at the moment. It's always quality week after week.

This finale started out strong and turned shitty pretty quick. I'm hoping there's still time to redeem itself

Legit sad about this. There's really nothing else like this show. Going to really miss seeing Toby Stephens on TV. That guy is a joy to watch. Would love to see him get another big role. Dude can give a hell of a speech. Luke Arnold really came into his own too. Would love to see either of them in a Game of Thrones spin off. Really think if this show was on HBO it would be massive.

Anyways about the finale. Gotta think Flint dies, but I hope it's glorious. Other than that there's nothing they can do really. This show has been so amazing nothing in the finale can change that for me. Just missing it already. Sucks.

In Treasure Island the novel, Flint dies from like old age or something in Georgia.

As much as I love this show, it shoulda, coulda, been better. They did a few things wrong, and I am not sure why

I believe the producers envisioned very expansive universe and more seasons. I guess money cut this series short. They really did pull a Boardwalk Empire with this show.

They should have done more monster of the week type of episodes. I mean, come on, it is pirates. Well, they kind of do in the first two seasons. Then they bring in Ned Lowe, who I guess they wanted to make into a Gyp Rosetti type character, but they kill him off too easily. They could have focused on him for a whole season. He was even missing an eye, and really looked badass.

Then comes Blackbeard. They build this guy up so much, only to kill him off like that. When they had Blackbeard, Flint, Silver etc etc all sitting at that table together, I think they envisioned at least two more seasons. But they cut it short with this last season. They had to conveniently kill off, or conclude everyone's story.

The Silver, Madi, and Flint triangle is very contrived. I think they actually wanted to make Silver and Flint be enemies for whole season before wrapping up, but again they cut this show off. And they turned Billy Bones into a badguy.

They copied Arrow with the flashbacks to Flint's past, and that is a nice touch. But this show could have gone on as long and been similar to Deep Space Nine. I mean think about. They are stuck in one location pretty much unless they go out into ships.

In Treasure Island the novel, Flint dies from like old age or something in Georgia.

Yeah I remember reading he drunk himself to death. Just felt like he was done for when most of the characters wanted him dead for some reason or another (Billy, John, Jack's benefactor). I was surprised how happy of an ending it was. Although I suppose Jack's internal monologue at the end may have suggested otherwise.

Caught up with the last few episodes up to the series finale. Good finale overall but ended on a whimper. But also glad some of the characters are still alive in the end. The exploration of Flint and John Silver's relationship is one of the highlights of the last few episodes.

Sad to see Asian pirate didn't make it. He was one of my OG favorites. But at least he gave a great showing during his final moments. He would have won that duel with Flint if they didn't fall on that slope.

One of the things I have to give the show credit for is I wasn't annoyed with the constant alliance switching and backstabbing each character went through throughout the 4 seasons. Normally I would groan and be irritated by multiple allegiance flip-flopping in other TV shows. But not in Black Sails.

Finished season 4,it was good. Still it's hypocritical how Ljs finds Flint's motivation to be selfish and his own to be righteous.
Flint warned him he would regret it one day. He probably will when his children are persecuted perhaps in the future. Flint's motivations were actually less selfish than Ljs's in the end.

Best show ever!
That last quote from flint is awesome - they tell you in a darkness there be dragons, but its not true, in a darkness there is discovery

Loved this show.

Great post. I don't need to say much, you put it more eloquently than i ever could.

Just finished the show and i'm experiencing that bittersweet/sad feeling you get after a good show is over. The last season was epic reminded me of Spartacus last season with how good it was.

I hated Rackham at first he seemed like a weasel but by the end of the show he ended up one of my favourite characters.

This last season for Black Sails has been great so far.

Really enjoyed all the scenes with Grandma Guthrie.

The grannie behind the thrones are always the smartest ones, be it a Guthrie or Tyrell.

Back