Steaming and capturing old game console question

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
How would you go about streaming or even just capturing gameplay on an old console, I know it’s done but can’t figure out how.

Something like an elgato, captures hdmi feed right?

Let’s say for example I dug my genesis and 32x out of the attic, and assuming it still works and the decade of attic heat hasn’t killed it. How would you capture that game play for recording or steaming. ??

Cable splitter for the console output, plugged into a video capture device.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/USB-Video-Au...S-Video-AV-Input-To-Computer-PC-/222819759080

Or you can avoid the splitter and just watch your game on your computer monitor.
The one you posted was a s-video, I don’t recall if the 32x had s-video or not but thanks definitely gets me going in the right direction.

On the comment on just watch on my monitor, how does that help with capture? Is there a way to hook to the monitor, like through s-video and then output from the monitor to an elgato etc?

The one you posted was a s-video, I don’t recall if the 32x had s-video or not but thanks definitely gets me going in the right direction.

On the comment on just watch on my monitor, how does that help with capture? Is there a way to hook to the monitor, like through s-video and then output from the monitor to an elgato etc?

Monitors don’t have video out (or at least normal ones don’t).

You can however connect console -> capture card -> pc -> monitor AND your favorite streaming solution.

Or buy this discontinued product https://help.elgato.com/customer/po...consoles-that-elgato-game-capture-hd-supports

Raspberry Pi has HDMI out.

I could have swore I saw a YouTube video on retro game capture via Hauppauge Rocket that said it has HDMI in and component in and somehow she plugged composite into component. Something like that.

EDIT: There's a Hauppauge Rocket official YouTube video showing yellow composite video out plugs into blue component video in.

Last edited:
Back