News Steve Harwell from Smash Mouth Dies at Age 56

Shrug... I think you hold the legacy of Offspring in slightly higher regard than most people at this point. Come Out and Play and Self Esteem were decent.

I've got The Offspring as a tier or two higher than those bands as well.

Back in the day we called The Offspring punk or pop punk and the rest of the bands you listed were just considered alternative in my group.

Tons of good one or two hit wonders from that era.

It was sad seeing the downward spiral he was on.

Alcohol grabs some people and doesnt let go. Just lost my sister in law to it a couple months ago. It was a very slow process, took years. Could have quit and saved her life plenty of times but chose the bottle. A real shame, great person. Sounds fucked up but the last couple years were spent kind of mad at her. Lost a few people who loved life and wanted to keep living. Not just them but thousands of people die every day who value life, very hard to watch her throw it away like nothing
So true...

Me and my wife had one but then had a baby like a year later and that helped. If we couldn't have one I could definitely see it fucking our relationship up. It was also a really early miscarriage so it didn't feel like a baby to me but it did to her and it messed her up for a bit.
I know a couple who had one but they had two other beautiful kids. I know them pretty well but I never pry into people's personal business that deep. I don't really know if it affected them at all. I do know that I helped them build a little sort of flowerbed thing for the mother of the wife's ashes. When I saw that gone I told the husband, "you people are cold". everyone is different and not everyone reacts the same to the same things, it's insteresting.

It was sad seeing the downward spiral he was on.
I didn't even know who he was til yesterday, listened to a couple songs that sounded kinda familiar and watched the cover of three dog nights "why can't we be friends" that was pretty good and in the vid he looked to be a competent front man.

I mean...they didn't have incredible staying power but I don't know how else to really describe bands like Smash Mouth or Hootie and the Blowfish or The Offspring or Matchbox 20 or Presidents of the United States of America. That is kind of what new bands with big hits in the second half of the 90s sounded like.
Fucking hootie were a joke to a lot of people, especially black people, I'm not sure what it was that irritated them so much about the black guy fronting a white band, maybe because they associated it with some sort of minstelry or selling out but the types of black people who would laugh at the guy were themselves the types to be sellouts.

It seemed something was deeply wrong with him when that footage came out of his behavior at various concerts.

I guess it makes sense that he was completely hammered.

Rip.

I can’t say I’m surprised, nor do I really care. I can’t think of many bands with less artistic integrity than Smashmouth. They seem like the kind of guys whose entire reason for writing music was solely to make as much money as possible.

I can’t say I’m surprised, nor do I really care. I can’t think of many bands with less artistic integrity than Smashmouth. They seem like the kind of guys whose entire reason for writing music was solely to make as much money as possible.
That’s the problem with money. As soon as you make a bunch of it, it becomes the end goal to maintain a lifestyle.

First Jimmy Buffetf now Steve Harwell. One of my first CD's i ever purchased was "fuch yu mang". Walking on the Sun was one of my favorites songs as a kid.

Who cares not everyone can be Bob fucking Dylan

Who cares not everyone can be Bob fucking Dylan
That’s my point. I don’t really care. For the aforementioned reasons. And there is a whole spectrum between Bob Dylan and Smashmouth. But Smashmouth is definitely at the end of that spectrum.

That’s the problem with money. As soon as you make a bunch of it, it becomes the end goal to maintain a lifestyle.
Yeah, you see it happen to a lot of bands. They start out with artistic integrity, make money, then have to compromise their artistic integrity to keep making money.
With Smashmouth, there never was any artistic integrity. They started that whole thing for the sole purpose of making money.
Good for them. They did. But I can’t stand their music.

Back