Steve Martin's 40 yr old SNL 'King Tut' Sketch Is Racist, Liberal Arts Students Say

OK one at a time.

Cultural appropriation-Ridiculous concept to get upset about. Fringe leftist concept that I reject.

White guilt/privilege-Well I'm white and don't feel guilty for the sins of my fathers, so to speak, but if you don't recognize that there are societal advantages to being Caucasian in the US that's being naïve. On the other hand lynchings happened only a generation or two ago so maybe some collective guilt is warranted.

How pissed would you be buddy? Yeah right, that's just the past.

Feminism-Very vaguely defined issue but I'm not threatened by women so whatever.

Gender confusion boys in skirts blah blah blah-So scary, much fear. Also...

Yeah what a bunch of girly men.

Gun ban-What fucking gun ban? You mean one of those many gun bans that Obama was going to enact when he became Pres? Oh wait, that's just a paranoid right-wing talking point and lies to fill the coffers of the NRA and troll for votes of idiots.

Political correctness-That shit goes both ways. You try to pin this on the left but try being outspoken in criticizing the military and see how that goes. I'm a vet BTW.

No free speech-Free speech is doing just fine. There are consequences to words of course. If people think you're a piece of shit for what you say and shun you well then...
<Fedor23>

EVQRinU.gif

Everything that I listed has happened in the UK. It is slowly happening in other countries in the West...

<Prem973>

I don't care if you reject it (talk about arrogance). In Canada there are people that will literally crash your cultural appropriation party if they find out where it is.

So you do think there should be guilt. Pathetic.

No one should be pissed bud. Get over it and start raising a good family. Yes that can be done today.

I don't care that you're not threatened, this isn't about you but all of society.

protest-900x600-copy-900x600.jpg
StopTheSultan_0035-605x404.jpg

Gender confusion is a pretty serious mental disorder and ruins lives. Yeah boys shouldn't be wearing skirts. They wouldn't wearing kilts and we're not living in the time of William Wallace.

I was clearly talking about the UK. Weak and treacherous liberals in Canada want to ban guns. Obama called for a AWB. There is a constant threat of guns being banned. Some states are banning guns.

I don't care about you. Little girls were being raped in the UK and political correctness prevented it from being stopped. You can't speak out against Islam here in Canada.

In the UK they will arrest you for speech. It's only a matter of time before that spreads.

You forgot homophobic and xenophobic and a few others but yeah.

So you're just going to make up lies? Not surprised at all.

And I'm convinced you are a racist, misogynistic asshole.

Your posts are garbage.

Last edited:
EVQRinU.gif

Everything that I listed has happened in the UK. It is slowly happening in other countries in the West...

<Prem973>

I don't care if you reject it (talk about arrogance). In Canada there are people that will literally crash your cultural appropriation party if they find out where it is.

So you do think there should be guilt. Pathetic.

No one should be pissed bud. Get over it and start raising a good family. Yes that can be done today.

I don't care that you're not threatened, this isn't about you but all of society.

protest-900x600-copy-900x600.jpg
StopTheSultan_0035-605x404.jpg

Gender confusion is a pretty serious mental disorder and ruins lives. Yeah boys shouldn't be wearing skirts. They wouldn't wearing kilts and we're not living in the time of William Wallace.

I was clearly talking about the UK. Weak and treacherous liberals in Canada want to ban guns. Obama called for a AWB. There is a constant threat of guns being banned. Some states are banning guns.

I don't care about you. Little girls were being raped in the UK and political correctness prevented it from being stopped. You can't speak out against Islam here in Canada.

In the UK they will arrest you for freedom of speech. It's only a matter of time before that spreads.

So you're just going to make up lies? Not surprised at all.

Your posts are garbage.
Awesome gif RIPWarrior.

victimhood is currency and like ecnomomics, this boils down to supply and demand. the demand for bigotry and victimhood far exceeds the supply, so they have to invent it or look 4
Underrated post.

The West is heading down a dark and creepy path, look at the lunatics myself and others have to deal with. I truly feel sorry for children being born today. They will have to deal with much greater numbers.

This is not an argument.
I know that RIPWarrior, it was a comment on your gif. It was the only interesting thing about your post.

Sounds like you're a Canadian transplant from the UK, is this correct? I nailed a British girl when I was in the US Army, cute girl but had a bush like the Horsford Woods, smelled nice though, like a bakewell tart.

Right wingers look for anything to be outraged about. You are outraged at their outrage

yeah I will do like a liberal cuck and blog about it on tumblr

All ive seen in this thread is Stank Rib constantl defend and deflect with post after post. It's obvious he is downplaying this as he sees it as a attack on his brothers in low-t arms. Poor chap.

1120reedcollege01.jpg

Students at Reed College are protesting a course after a video of Steve Martin's King Tut sketch was aired in class. Students found the sketch offensive and said it was racist. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Well, excuuuuuuuuse him!

Steve Martin’s seminal “King Tut” sketch is being blasted as cultural appropriation by a group of students at a prestigious liberal arts college in Oregon after the classic "Saturday Night Live" parody was played in a humanities course.

The sketch, created by Martin in 1978 to parody the hysteria and commercialization surrounding a traveling Tutankhamun exhibit, has outraged students who say the sketch is the cultural equivalent of blackface because one of the side actors emerged from a sarcophagus with his face painted gold.

"That’s like somebody … making a song just littered with the n-word everywhere,” a member of the group, Reedies Against Racism, told The Atlantic. “The gold face of the saxophone dancer leaving its tomb is an exhibition of blackface.”

Students first took issue with the video when it was played during a humanities course, which is designed for students to “to engage in original, open-ended, critical inquiry.” Students said they should not be forced to take the course until different coursework is given because the sketch is racist.

Martin was obviously prepared for the backlash, even back in 1978. Dressed in faux Egyptian garb, he opens the sketch by first explaining somberly that he has issues with the popular traveling exhibit for the boy king, King Tut.

“I think it is a national disgrace the way we have commercialized it with trinkets and toys, t-shirts and posters,” he says, earning laughs as most of his live audience likely knew he was kidding.

He and his band then launch into a jazzy song that includes the lyrics:

Now, if I'd known/They'd line up just to see you/I'd trade in all my money/And bought me a museum/King Tut/Buried with a donkey/Funky Tut/He's my favorite honky!

And:

Now, when I die/Don't think I'm a nut/Don't want no fancy funeral/Just one like ol' king Tut.

It's not the first time students at Reed have protested the required freshman humanities course, which Reedies Against Racism said “perpetuates white supremacy — by centering 'whiteness' as the only required class at Reed.” Students have protested the course by standing with signs that say “Fuck Hum 110” and “We demand space for students of color” inside the class.

Reed Professor Lucía Martínez Valdivia, who identifies herself as a gay mixed-race woman, wrote an op-ed for The Washington Post on her experiences with the protestors. Valdivia who has PTSD said before her lectures she suffered from a “lack of sleep, nausea, loss of appetite and an inability to focus.”

“The right to speak freely is not the same as the right to rob others of their voices,” she said.

Free speech is increasingly a hot-button issue at universities around the nation, where students have led disruptions on campus in an attempt to shut down on-campus speakers. University of Wisconsin students attempted to disrupt conservative columnist Ben Shapiro when he came to speak at the campus last fall.

But students are now bringing the disruptions into the classroom. Professors say they are afraid to speak up and create conversation around controversial issues.

“The air is different now because what you do in a classroom can end up on Fox News,” Luis Fernandez, a North Arizona University professor, told The New York Times.

http://www.newsweek.com/steve-martins-king-tut-sketch-causing-controversy-one-college-campus-717418

People realize that Steve Martin was born a poor black child right?

The problem is not the students, the problem is your educational institutions that apparently hold education in such little regard that they'll let a bunch of know-nothing children, bully them into adversely altering the curriculum.

Fuck you and your banjo Steve Martin!
These kids should grow up a little before we let them watch the Jerk.

Being outraged at others outrageous behavior is simply outrageous! Or something.

These are just kids acting out, and their behavior should be ignored. Well, until, you know, they manage to change the curriculum to suit their sensitivities. Or, unti get faculty fired for thinking Halloween costumes are no big deal. Or until they hold a dean hostage. Or until they roam the campus with bats, searching for professors. Or until they dictate who can or can not hold talks on campus. Yup, until those things happen we should ignore the nutty, willful, vocal minority of students. After all, as history has shown us, that type of minority has never had an impact on anything. o_O

So the truth is now considered Trolling?

College students are the future of this country

If you continue to blindly defend them then you are probably a liberal arts student.

The country wouldn't collapse if liberal arts degrees went away

Design meeting: Ok gentlemen, exactly how much can we make this monument look like a massive erection to the sky, without making a literal giant dick?
Says more about you than the monument.

Comedy is pretty much dead right now. Everyone is offended about everything. I'm no fan of racism, but pointing out funny shit about culture doesn't make one automatically racist. Often times in comedy you point out stereotypes to make the joke. If it's not funny people won't laugh.

Social media has given everyone an outlet to cry about every tiny thing, and people don't want to look bad so they cave, instead of telling cunts to shut up, they can't just get their way, just because they are offended about every little thing in the world. We even get outraged that other people are outraged. It beyond stupid.

If we wouldn't spread this stupidity all over the internet maybe some of this bullshit would go away. Instead we are showing that all this false outrage, will in fact bring attention to you. I'm all for standing up for injustice in the world, but this is just stupid to me. The fact that the college has decided to cave makes it even worse.

If you continue to blindly defend them then you are probably a liberal arts student.

The country wouldn't collapse if liberal arts degrees went away
These are future politicians, they will grow up to influence politics whether you like it or not

Someone play "The Hateful Eight" to these kids

Back