Unsane - Steven Soderbergh's new iPhone movie with Claire Foy (out this weekend, 80% on RT)

G

Guestx

Hmm, interesting.

Steven Soderbergh’s new film Logan Lucky hits theaters this weekend — but anticipation is already building for his next project, reportedly titled Unsane.

Details about the movie — which was filmed in secret on an iPhone and stars Claire Foy, Juno Temple, and Jay Pharoah — have been scant so far, and there’s no release date attached yet. But in an interview with EW, Pharoah did divulge some information about the movie, which he describes as “reality-type horror — almost Get Out-ish, but different.”

“Steven Soderbergh, first of all, is an amazing director,” the former SNL star says. “One of the quickest and sharped directors — it was a great experience.”

Of his part, Pharoah teases, “It’s kind of a dramatic role. I mean, it’s real — it’s grounded. It gave me a chance to flex another muscle. It was fun working with Claire Foy too, she’s great.”

As for the filming process, Pharoah says, “That week — I don’t know long it was, week and a half? However long it was, it was so quick, but it was just a dope experience. The movie kind of reminds me of some reality-type horror — almost Get Out-ish, but different, which feels good.”

A week is a very short amount of time to film a feature-length film, of course, but Soderbergh is no stranger to movie-making experimentation. “Oh man, you have no idea!” Pharoah says. “He is so quick, man!”

Asked if he’s seen the finished product yet, Pharoah reveals he’s seen about 80 percent of the film. “Because he had edited it every day. Every time we would finish doing a day, he would just go upstairs and he would start editing it,” Pharoah says. “So he’d be like, ‘Here’s a cut so far.’ So I saw about 80 percent of the film. But I’m excited to see the whole thing, because it looks so dope — you wouldn’t be able to tell anything [about how it was made]. It looks that great. And the acting is great, from everything I’ve seen.”

Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/16/steven-soderbergh-unsane-jay-pharoah/

What does that mean, "Get out-ish, but different." I'm trying to imagine what that could entail. Definitely interesting that he filmed it on an Iphone.

What does that mean, "Get out-ish, but different." I'm trying to imagine what that could entail. Definitely interesting that he filmed it on an Iphone.
White guy dating a Zimbabwe general's daughter.

What does that mean, "Get out-ish, but different." I'm trying to imagine what that could entail.

Yeah, that does seem like a very opaque statement. He seems to try to clarify by saying "reality-type horror," but what does THAT mean? If he was referencing Blair Witch then I'd get it, but I don't understand that in relation to Get Out.

Definitely interesting that he filmed it on an Iphone.

Yeah, I only know of one other feature film that was shot that way.

It will definitely be interesting to see how it looks.

White guy dating a Zimbabwe general's daughter.

giphy.gif

Yeah, that does seem like a very opaque statement. He seems to try to clarify by saying "reality-type horror," but what does THAT mean? If he was referencing Blair Witch then I'd get it, but I don't understand that in relation to Get Out.

Yeah, I only know of one other feature film that was shot that way.

It will definitely be interesting to see how it looks.

Reality type horror doesn't seem like it would be the sort of found footage of Blair Witch. I'm not sure what he means, sounds like someone buys a used unicycle on Craigslist and meets up with the mangler.

I thought about that too. It seems like the lighting would need to be very precise for it to not look like shit.

I used to film stuff in the early 2000s and lighting was a huge issue for the cams we ran. I cant imagine an iphone needing less then optimum light to not have noise.

I used to film stuff in the early 2000s and lighting was a huge issue for the cams we ran. I cant imagine an iphone needing less then optimum light to not have noise.

Noise in and of itself isn't necessarily a problem. Look at something like Collateral. That movie is noisy as fuck.

But I do understand what you're saying. He definitely had to pay more attention to the lighting than he would if he were using a real camera.

It's actually kind of funny that he made this decision because I heard an interview with him just the other day where he was saying that he loves modern digital technology because the lighting requirements are so much lower than they were to shoot on film. And to shoot on an iPhone is obviously a regression in that regard.

Was there some sort of shoulder mount or something for stability?

Reading her interview, she doesn't sound incredibly bright (or he. I don't really even care).

I hope it's Blair Witch 5. They really need to move on that hot property.

Was there some sort of shoulder mount or something for stability?

I'm sure they had something. There are actually a lot of add-ons for the iPhone that make it more capable for professional work.

If you want to see what a film can look like when shot on an iPhone, here you go:

I'm sure they had something. There are actually a lot of add-ons for the iPhone that make it more capable for professional work.

If you want to see what a film can look like when shot on an iPhone, here you go:

This "shot on iPhone" thing is publicity. Most people don't comprehend that films shot on an iPhone are being shot by an iPhone with $5k+ in gear attached to it. Lens attachments, even auxiliary sensor replacements, I'd wager.

Here's one used for a commercial last year:

Screen_Shot_2017-06-30_at_10.22.39_AM.png

This "shot on iPhone" thing is publicity. Most people don't comprehend that films shot on an iPhone are being shot by an iPhone with $5k+ in gear attached to it. Lens attachments, even auxiliary sensor replacements, I'd wager.

Here's one used for a commercial last year:

Whatever you were trying to link up, it didn't work.

Back