Steve's diet log (advice more than welcome)

SteveQ

I'd rather be fishing
@Blue
Reaction score
I've tried to keep this before in my lifting log (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/oats-my-good-sir-strength-bjj-comments-welcome-891338/) but now that there's a section for them, maybe it will make me be more consistient. Or maybe I will be an epic fail. Anywho...

Stats
5'10", 212 lbs - no idea bf% but I have a belly. Nothing disgusting, but it's there.

Goals
195-190lbs while at the very least maintaining my strength levels. To be perfectly clear, keeping my strength up is more important than dropping 15-20 lbs

diet rundown:
breakfast: usually oatmeal or eggs
lunch: I am good about packing; I maybe eat out at work twice every 3 weeks. I usually pack a salad and some form of protien to eat late morning and something else reasonably nutritious to eat mid afternoon.
dinner: changes all the time. We eat a lot of ground meats and chicken breasts and usually steak at least once a week.

the real problem with me is beer and sweets. I drink a good amount usually once a week.

I dont know anything about macros or carb loading/cycling but am willing to learn especially by reading others' logs

I will clean up this first post later

Sept 28

since I packed food for today, I know exactly how it will go and will post today's diet in whole now before I forget

630am - oatmeal, 2 cups black coffee
730-830 lift, pull
930 - turkey burger, no bun
1230 - 1/2 sweet potato, spinach salad with raisins, sweet onion dressing
6 - 2 chicken breasts, grilled
730-9 - bjj
930 - large glass of milk
bed

You don't eat protein at every meal? like in your oatmeal?

Your goals and stats are somewhat similar to mine. I've done fairly well at maintaining or increasing strength with my weight loss. The key for me has been an increase in cardio combined with decreasing calories. If I just decreased calories w/o increasing cardio, I wouldn't have lost as much weight unless I decreased by a lot more than I'm doing now. If I would have gone that route, I'm willing to bet my strength would have diminished.

My advice is if you are going the calorie deficit route is to make sure you eat before lifting or have a peri-workout shake. Cutting calories sucks and I do feel hungry, but I NEVER want to feel hungry while lifting.

You don't eat protein at every meal? like in your oatmeal?

i dont... what would be a good way to work it in there? Just seperately in the form of milk or sausage or something?

It looks like you are not getting enough protein. just guesses here but I would say you are pretty well under 180 grams am I right?

Protein powder in the oatmeal or a couple eggs with it or sausage or bacon with it. Chicken or other meat in the salad maybe with some shredded cheese. It will help with not feeling hungy especially the big gap between lunch and the 6pm meal.

Do you like cottage cheese? If so, have a bowl of that with your breakfast. I like having it with some fresh berries mixed in but after eating it on a regular basis I enjoy it plain too.

I hear you about beer and sweets. I could give up salty snacks if I had to but leave some leftover cake in the fridge and it's gone within 24 hours.

It looks like you are not getting enough protein. just guesses here but I would say you are pretty well under 180 grams am I right?

Protein powder in the oatmeal or a couple eggs with it or sausage or bacon with it. Chicken or other meat in the salad maybe with some shredded cheese. It will help with not feeling hungy especially the big gap between lunch and the 6pm meal.

I wonder if vanilla whey would go well with cinnimon oatmeal... I think overall youre right, I need more protien. I'm going to log my normal shit for a week or so and if that is the case, I'll make a better effort

Do you like cottage cheese? If so, have a bowl of that with your breakfast. I like having it with some fresh berries mixed in but after eating it on a regular basis I enjoy it plain too.

I hear you about beer and sweets. I could give up salty snacks if I had to but leave some leftover cake in the fridge and it's gone within 24 hours.

I like cottage cheese but I require some kind of bread/cracker vessel to eat it (wheat thins are my favorite) because the texture by itself grosses me out. Any good suggestions?

I have eaten an entire spice cake in 2 days before, it's gross.

My advice is if you are going the calorie deficit route is to make sure you eat before lifting or have a peri-workout shake. Cutting calories sucks and I do feel hungry, but I NEVER want to feel hungry while lifting.

I almost always work out first thing in the morning (well second thing) right after breakfast so hunger then isnt an issue - plus I usually have a belly full of coffee then

Sept 29
630 - 4 eggs, tomato and basil hummus, 1 small tortilla
cardio - 3 miles lsd - can't belive how much I sweated during this - it was only like a 9:30 mile pace but it was soaking, must have been eating salty lately?
1230 - 1/2 sweet potato, 2 chicken breasts
dinnertime: shitload of pulled chicken that I had going in the crock pot all day w/ bbq sauce, some baked lays and a large portion of peas (no butter) .//. this is why I'm fat
desert: klondike bar!!!

I wonder if vanilla whey would go well with cinnimon oatmeal... I think overall youre right, I need more protien. I'm going to log my normal shit for a week or so and if that is the case, I'll make a better effort

I like cottage cheese but I require some kind of bread/cracker vessel to eat it (wheat thins are my favorite) because the texture by itself grosses me out. Any good suggestions?

I have eaten an entire spice cake in 2 days before, it's gross.

Quit being a little girl and just eat it? :icon_twis Seriously though, I don't really have any suggestions for that. Eating it with bread/crackers would seem to defeat the purpose since you would be getting the protein along with a bunch of empty carbs. I guess I'm no help...

Quit being a little girl and just eat it? :icon_twis Seriously though, I don't really have any suggestions for that. Eating it with bread/crackers would seem to defeat the purpose since you would be getting the protein along with a bunch of empty carbs. I guess I'm no help...

that probably is the answer and I've tried it before... I do it for like 3 days and then decide it's not worth being grossed out by my meal.

Sept 30
630am: 4 eggs, red pepper hummus, 1 small tortilla
8-9: lift. push
9: 1/2 quart of chocolate milk
1pm: quizno's beef sub with red pepper mayo. yum (thisiswhyimfat)
dinner: chicken cordon bleu, peas, baked potato light butter

Oct 1
7am - oatmeal
730 - 2 mile walk + dogs

thanks man! saw you had some nice cheese yourself today - keep up the good work!

I always get that cheese in I love it, its a thick block to so it works the forearms as I hold it.

Wonder how many carbs that was yesterday? I see you stepped up your eggs to 4 nice work, call me when your at 7-8.

yesterday i estimate to have been one million carbs

whoo, that was a long fast
Oct 5
some eggs and bacon
1 small wheat roll, some chicken and bleu cheese
shitload of spinach

Back