Stipe’s lay n pray strategy tonight

They were saying that Francis would rather Stipe punch him because that would give Francis the opportunity to explode up and get out of that position...
the only thing that Francis was going to explode at that point was maybe some explosive shit in his pants because he was past the point of exhaustion

I think their faces at the end of the match says it all with regards to who landed the better strikes.

So you believe Miocic won the first JDS fight, I presume?

I think their faces at the end of the match says it all with regards to who landed the better strikes.
What about body language?

Stipe was standing tall and strong after the fight. Ngannou was broken.

I bet Ngannou would rather have gotten a few more bruises than being the most exhausted and beaten he has ever been in his life.

Bruised up faces don't tell the whole story. In fact they are incredibly misleading.

Stipe rocked Ngannou several times. And he landed like ten times as many strikes.

So what's your definition of LnP? 82-0 isn't really LnP in my books

Kids today use that word but have no earthly idea what they're talking about.
I was bored and knew Francis was dead after R1 so I wasn't paying extra close attention but you can hit someone "82 times" and still have it be LnP IMO. weak punches not meant to finish an opponent qualifies as LnP for me

He was definitely not looking to finish most of the fight even with Francis dead. It was pretty Lay n Pray-y

If you don’t want to be on your back then don’t get taken down.

I don't believe that was lay and pray. It seemed like he was sinking and sapping Francis, building up to something he never committed too near the end of the rounds. One quality choke attempt and it would have been a genius strategy. I think Stipe calculated it wasn't worth the risk when the time came.

But what do I know..

I was bored and knew Francis was dead after R1 so I wasn't paying extra close attention but you can hit someone "82 times" and still have it be LnP IMO. weak punches not meant to finish an opponent qualifies as LnP for me

He was definitely not looking to finish most of the fight even with Francis dead. It was pretty Lay n Pray-y
Oh no stipe better be lucky that your opinion doesn't equate to absolute jack shit

Ngannou landed 36 strikes in 25 minutes and was all defense on the ground.

36 strikes for Ngannou vs 203 strikes for Stipe.

I was paying attention, and noticed that whenever he postured up to hit harder, Francis threatened to escape. He was also pretty exhausted himself, controlling someone that size isn't easy.

His corner told him to hit harder, and he said he was trying. They knew he should be able to do more damage from that position. I get why some people wanted him to do more. I also get why he couldn't.

I also know what lay and pray is, that that wasn't it.

Oh no stipe better be lucky that your opinion doesn't equate to absolute jack shit
You could quote any post on this board and say that. Alas, this is a message board and we are here to post our opinions.

I'm not even mad at Stipe for fighting the way he did; he fought smart. That's what champions should do. I've never been mad at Woodley when he has been criticized for fighting safe either.

But sure, go on about your day as an abrasive pointless post making douche.

I was paying attention, and noticed that whenever he postured up to hit harder, Francis threatened to escape. He was also pretty exhausted himself, controlling someone that size isn't easy.

His corner told him to hit harder, and he said he was trying. They knew he should be able to do more damage from that position. I get why some people wanted him to do more. I also get why he couldn't.

I also know what lay and pray is, that that wasn't it.
There are varying levels to lay n pray. I agree he was holding him down wisely and if he tried to do more damage he would escape.. so instead.. he... wait ... for it... laid on him.

Again, not mad at him. Also don't need you to agree with me. You can have your opinion and it doesn't have to match mine. It wasn't full blown but it was pretty close to LNP.

You could quote any post on this board and say that. Alas, this is a message board and we are here to post our opinions.

I'm not even mad at Stipe for fighting the way he did; he fought smart. That's what champions should do. I've never been mad at Woodley when he has been criticized for fighting safe either.

But sure, go on about your day as an abrasive pointless post making douche.
Oh I will bitch, you're Fucking lucky you don't live close to me or I would walk to your house and lay n pray your face with my cock

Arona? What about Dan Severn

I can remember watching the old UFC tourneys when I was like 12 and hating Severn lol. The guy couldn't strike or do any submissions, he was a lay and pray pioneer.

Oh I will bitch, you're Fuck of lucky you don't live close to me or I would walk to your house and lay n pray your face with my cock
logo.jpg

It was smart and safe. I was a little surprised he didn't try to go for a stoppage when it seemed like he could have without putting himself in much more danger, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I thought he could/should have poured it on a little more in rounds 4 and 5 and gotten the stoppage. But, a wins a win

They were saying that Francis would rather Stipe punch him because that would give Francis the opportunity to explode up and get out of that position...
That was never going to happen.

Go watch kickboxing.

If you can't appreciate what Stipe did to a much bigger opponent yesterday (he outstruck him 200 to 33) then you are completely oblivious as to what you are watching.

All the guys complaining about Stipe lay n' praying are the same ones that said Ngannou would knock him out in the first.

Back